BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 111 of 236 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2356
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    America's a great demonstration that building a Giant F*cking Fence with a small army defending it doesn't do anything to actually stop immigrants getting through, actually. These people are desperate as all-hell to get somewhere better.
    If I lived in mexico best believe Id wanna get the hell outta there as well. Scary place, I know there are good spots but I wouldn't wanna risk it.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    America's a great demonstration that building a Giant F*cking Fence with a small army defending it doesn't do anything to actually stop immigrants getting through
    I don't know about that. I can't prove it but I assume the numbers would be even higher with less of a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post

My history is a bit rusty... was it the French that added this to the statue of Liberty or was it carved after it arrived in the states?

Either way it doesn't represent the way the country behaves at the present.
    That was by an American poet after it had arrived, strange to see how much the USA moves away from some founding principles whilst clinging so vehemently to other, less important ones

Chapter-Master

Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    I don't know about that. I can't prove it but I assume the numbers would be even higher with less of a fence.
    Your assumption is irrelevant if you admit you can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Casual View Post
    That was by an American poet after it had arrived, strange to see how much the USA moves away from some founding principles whilst clinging so vehemently to other, less important ones
    All Men Are Created Equal sorta died out and got replaced with Muh Gunz!
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Occuli Imperator

Going back a few posts, sorry, what France could do, is issue all the refuges/asyslum seekers an EU passport and thanks to the open border policies they can enter the UK without any legal barrier.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Going back a few posts, sorry, what France could do, is issue all the refuges/asyslum seekers an EU passport and thanks to the open border policies they can enter the UK without any legal barrier.
    They could indeed, but then they would be able to settle properly in France too, and I suspect France doesn't want that.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Occuli Imperator

Yes, but if they are wanting to cross the the uk then I imagine they want to be there not in france, since if they wanted to be in france they could have just claimed asylum there.

On a side note it is a curious thing that there is a common border policy within the EU, but the criteria for asylum is not the same so these displaced people end up heading to countries with a more relaxed policy.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    To continue on being "that guy" i dont think this would be the best as you could end up giving passports to people who shouldn't have them, not everyone seeking asylum can be trusted...

Chapter-Master

A couple of things to note. Firstly, it is either EU/UN policy (not sure which, or what nomenclature is correct) that refugees/asylum seekers are supposed to claim asylum in the first place they are safe.

Now, whilst the idea of living in France is foul to me, I must concede that the risk to life present in Syria, is absent in France/Italy/Greece etc. If they are in a EU country where their life is not at risk, that is where asylum should be claimed.

The truly needy are going on foot to refugee camps on the borders of wartorn Libya/Syria. The upper middle class there are the ones who can afford the several thousands of US dollars to pay a people smuggler to get to Europe. I find it hard to class these as refugees as opposed to Economic Migrants - because they are not stopping at the first country where their lives are no longer at risk, to claim asylum there. These people want to get to Germany or UK because of the financial benefits, not because their lives are in danger in Italy or Greece.

I also wanted to point out it is disingenuous to say the situation is of our making. If you are saying for example Libya is our fault for intervening, consider the only way to fix not the symptoms of Syria but the cause is to intervene. Which our democratic parliament chose not to do after tory rebels sided with weak Miliband.

Islam has 7 pillars, one of which is Charity. So, if Western intervention in the Middle East is bad, why don't hugely oil rich arab nations follow their religion, pay to fix the humanitarian crisis of their co-religionists and then consider internal military action against Daesh/Assad thus fixing the cause of the refugees without Western intervention?

PS it is hugely hypocritical to worry about pictures of dead children when they happen to wash up on European shores, because they have been dying in thousands for years in Syria now - where Miliband and tory rebels voted against intervening.
    Last edited by Denzark; 09-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.