BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 18 of 236 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    , at least that way, you'd have a slim chance of getting a decent, moral, human being in office.
    That suggests you believe such things exist.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    The idea of yearly elections was a Chartist idea, the idea was pre-massive amounts of advertising for elections, but, the theory is that no one would be able to afford to pay off a politician, and politicians wouldn't be able to afford to campaign, if they were only in office for a year potentially.

The members of parliament are meant to be representative of the people, a jury is a council of your peers, ok some would be unqualified morons with no idea about the political process or how the world works and would push their own ideals into the running of departments despite all advice from experts to the contrary and at massive detriment to the services but that’s hardly different to how it is now, at least that way, you'd have a slim chance of getting a decent, moral, human being in office.
    Success and power do corrupt.

No, not necessarily from Paragon of Virtue to Cackling Fagin corruption. But it does change your point of view. People have a pop at the current Tories for being out of touch. And yes, they are. But is that any fault of the actual individuals? They were lucky enough to be born into wealth and privlege, so why the suddent expectation for them to know what it's like to have no money ever, and be dependant upon goodwill and foodbanks? Yes, it's frankly scandalous that we have that issue in one of the world's richest countries - but we can't blame the Politicians for having no idea what that's like.

Take me for instance. In the past four years, I've had a right rocket up me, and have forged a strong career, and am paid a very respectable wage. I'm still me ultimately - I've not gone all 'middle class climber'. But, I do propose things to my mates they simply cannot afford to do as readily as I can. I've largely forgotten just how tight it used to be for me, despite working full time in a decent (non-dead end) job. I don't lord it over them with my recent successes, but I do have a different perspective. Victim of success is probably the best way I can put it.

What we desperately need in the UK is a levelling of the playing field. I don't believe people should be elevated above where they're willing to work to. I don't believe anyone should be dragged down just because they're richer. What I want to see is the station of your birth matter less to the overall outcome - bit of a pipedream, because Old Boys Clubs will always exist. But a noble goal worthy of the effort.

But sadly that requires a large proportion of those who would be affected to buy in. And for every person born into poverty who wants to work their way out, there is someone in the same position either quite happy to wazz their life away, and another blaming everyone but themselves, and expecting it all on a silver platter, because they're just so deserving.

As I've said before - I don't hate anyone for their privilege. Nobody has an influence over the family they're born into. And the same goes for those with a distinct lack of privilege. What I do object to is those who live in utter ignorance of their privilege, and those who do nothing to change their surroundings.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So DC has a wee word with the outgoing EU Pres, and arranges a little publicity stunt.... Sudden bill pops up, and DC gets to look like a man of political action and clout by getting it torn up and the EU to back down - which is precisely what he needs right now.
    As I understood it it's not so much a sudden bill but a transparent and forseeable automatism.

I also can't really see the EU backing down with too many countries on the receiving end. You really think France would forego a billion €?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    But is that any fault of the actual individuals? They were lucky enough to be born into wealth and privlege, so why the suddent expectation for them to know what it's like to have no money ever, and be dependant upon goodwill and foodbanks? Yes, it's frankly scandalous that we have that issue in one of the world's richest countries - but we can't blame the Politicians for having no idea what that's like.
    MM - come now Sir. Even if you won't acknowledge that not all Tories are sitting on oil baron-esque piles of cash (they're not) - you must realise that the ones that get into power do so on the first-past-the -post system we voted to keep what, 5 years back? And that means considerable mounts of their voters won't have been born into wealth and privilege - and either as fairly rational being think that their respective MPs weren't either - or that the individual record of the MP they voted for outweighed their social background.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Dude. I'm not attacking privilege, nor claiming it's a universal Tory trait.

I was specifically referring to the top Tories, DC, Gideon et al. The Bullingdon Boys.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

yeah but even them have plenty of support from people not their class. It is not necessary for a leader to have lived an experience in order to work out how to make that experience better.

Again, kind of my point.

You cannot blame someone from their background for perhaps not getting how much it sucks to be poor. They've never been close to that.

I do think the cuts are overly callous, and would like to see a lot more done in a more robust manner about corporation tax dodged etc. By all means let's no spend wastefully, but let's also ensure we're maximising our earnings.

Chapter-Master

A rich person is decidedly uncomfortable around the poor.

Oh yeah he is also in bed with the unions and happens to be the leader of the Labour party.

[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11201824/Ed-Miliband-accused-of-looking-awkward-while-giving-money-to-beggar.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11201824/Ed-Miliband-accused-of-looking-awkward-while-giving-money-to-beggar.html[/URL]

Chapter-Master

So I come back to find we've got another labour PCC, which seems pointless to me considering the last one was heavily involved in the rotherham scandal, and the labour council was heavily involved. How are we ever going to get answers by putting another person from the involved party in a position to direct policy?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

PCCs just seem utterly pointless to me.

It's a hamfisted attempt to politicise the Police force.