BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 236 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

No such thing as state schools any more. We have those that are academies, which means entirely self governing, often owned by dubious companies and those that are yet to become academies.

In answer to your question Mystery, because the Scots got all pissy about it and made a fuss, the English didn't. Mostly because they assumed everything was geared around us anyway, but now the Scots have shown us what we could have and didn't even know we were missing.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

More or less my point
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Good thread MM was thinking we need summat similar. And yes this whole EVEL is massively interesting. Miliband cannot go against it without seeming hugely self interested.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

In fairness we don't get free prescriptions for nothing in Scotland! Ask the police! The funding for the nhs has remained strong here at the expense of the justice system!!

I guess at the end of the day its all about what your priorities are!!

Was discussing this on Facebook last night. Leftyopinion - GO!

So, I don't get it.

Welfare State and NHS set up post war, when we were more or less bankrupt as a country.

Now? Now we're doing really well, and have one of the world's biggest economies. But suddenly, all those nice things? Yeah now we can't afford them..... There's something fishy there.

Now yes, both institutions have grown somewhat since they started, and I do agree there is scope to reduce both. NHS managers? GTFO. Benefits I feel should be capped/frozen, whilst the minimum wage proceeds towards a living wage - as it is, too many people who are otherwise happy to work are better off on benefits. That's not right, and all ends of the political spectrum have to bear the blame for that (Left - kept bennies up with inflation. Right - suppressing wages for decades). Two pronged approach will soon get it tilted back into the right direction
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Don't forget back post war we weren't spending money on the things that we are now.

How much do we spend on cancer treatment then compared with now?
    Same with psychological therapies, repairing botched plastic surgeryIn England, most people are overweight or obese. This includes

61.9% of adults and 28% of children aged between 2 and 15. People who are overweight have a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers. Excess weight can also make it more difficult for people to find and keep work, and it can affect self-esteem and mental health.

Health problems associated with being overweight or obese cost the NHS more than £5 billion every year.

Funding for the NHS comes directly from taxation and is granted to the Department of Health by Parliament. When the NHS was launched in 1948, it had a budget of £437 million (roughly £9 billion at today’s value). For 2012/13, it was around £108.9 billion.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

because in 1950 you got cancer, you died.
    In fact in 1950 beyond cutting bits off, fixing breaks, sewing you up, giving you basic anti biotics what more was there they could fix?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

So what we need to do is get fatties to start to walk.

Put the car keys down, you are walking less than half a mile. I will not kill you.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

See, for stuff like fattyboombooms, and smokers, and chronic alcoholics etc - why does the NHS cover them?

I know it sounds harsh, but as a smoker myself, I know any damage done is entirely my own fault.

NHS does need a shake up. Right now it is overburdened - but like my suggestion for benefits etc, it needs to come from more angles than just 'hurr, cut funding!'. Reduce it's scope. Non-corrective cosmetic surgery (by corrective I mean repairing disease related damage) - hell no. Botched surgery, especially if it's by a private surgeon - that practice should foot the bill and sort out the surgery one way or another.

It can't be a free-for-all anymore. Let it instead be a fall back for those unable to afford private medical care (and anyone who can afford private medical care should take it out. Show a bit of responsibility!)

Chapter-Master

I would love to see some sort of permit/ID card for smokers and drinkers. £10 to have, paid for yearly. If you go to the NHS for treatment for something linked to smoking or drinking and you are a permit holder, you automatically have to pay for your treatment for that affliction. Also if you cause an injury through drunk.

Example

Lung cancer.
    Falling down drunk and smashing teeth out of head.
    Being found guilty in court of fighting whislt drunk, you pay for any NHS treatment of your victim.
    Being found guilty in court of causing drink drive injuries, you pay for the hospital and a rate towards the emergency service attendance at the scene.

I think it could be done in such a way that the costs of the system outweigh the money coming in.

Also, I don't think the NHS is sustainable in its current format and possibly not at all.

You have extra life expectancy since the war, extra amount of old people, extra treatments available. You know the reports when it says 'Postcode lottery I can't get my £25000 cancer pills'? Well surely if one person is entitled, all must be - and that ain't sustainable.

Where would I get more money from? The 0.7% of GDP put towards international aid - lets fix our own tribe first. And also the amount given to the EU... perhaps an argument for a different day.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 2 of 236 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast