BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 51 of 236 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

UKIP and racism

[url]https://stuartsorensen.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/what-if-ukip-really-isnt-racist/[/url]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Oh good.

Milliband has ruled out any kind of deal with the SNP.....

Or in other words, the will of the Scottish voters confirmed not to matter one jot to Westminster politicians.

Good to know our democracy is good and healthy......
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Or telling the Scottish voters that if they want a labour government they have to vote labour? Not expect salman to be able to blackmail stuff in return for support?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

The former.

I'm pretty sure Scotland is aware if they want Labour, vote Labour.

But this isn't saying 'vote Labour' it's 'don't vote SNP, because nobody will listen to you' which is pretty horrific in a democracy.

Given we're pretty much on course for another coalition, nobody should be in any position, morally or legally to rule out who they would and wouldn't work with. Will of the people, not whatever is most convenient for you and your ideals.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

It's exactly the same position as anyone not voting the main two has been in for about a hundred years isn't it?

Not for Scotland.

Whether you agree with anything they do or stand for or not, they are a major political force in the UK, and a successful one.

This is literally saying the voting populace of Scotland 'do as Westminster demands, or be ignored'

It's bloody ridiculous, and a shocking betrayal of democracy.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not for Scotland.

Whether you agree with anything they do or stand for or not, they are a major political force in the UK, and a successful one.

This is literally saying the voting populace of Scotland 'do as Westminster demands, or be ignored'

It's bloody ridiculous, and a shocking betrayal of democracy.
    But they really aren't. Even being generous they aren't going to get more than 5% of the total vote. What would be undemocratic would be the SNP getting to form part of the Governement with essentially no mandate from UK voters. It's entirely likely UKIP will get a high percentage of the vote and we don't that group of racist fantasists in government either.

If they are the duly elected MP for their consitutuency, then they should have a voice in Parliament. Particularly as the SNP are apparently on course for quite a win in Scotland. This is setting a dangerous precedent that it won't matter who you vote for if it's not the Big Two, because they'll just close ranks.

Ditto UKIP. I loathe them. Nigel 'I'm not a racist, but' Farage and his cronies want to drag the UK back to an entirely imagined 1950's. They are The Daily Mail incarnate (I blame Teclis).

Yet nobody has chosen to rule out any sort of coalition with UKIP, and nobody should.

But it seems the SNP are totally fair game for the politicial malechickenblock. Why?

Now, irrespective of whether or not you feel Scotland is over represented (that kettle of fish isn't something we spods can do much about), at this election there will be 72 Scottish Seats up for grabs. Assuming a worst case scenario, let's say SNP win all of them.

That's 72 sitting, duly elected MPs out of a total of 649 that will not be allowed to form a coalition. How is that in any way democractic - to remove over 10% of MPs from anything useful?
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 03-17-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Chapter-Master

Labour's reasoning is clearly to an attempt to stop haemorrhaging support north of the border, the tories doing it or not doing it is irrelevant as the SNP probably couldn't work with them. I'm pretty sure Cameron has ruled out a UKIP coalition hasn't he?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    If they are the duly elected MP for their consitutuency, then they should have a voice in Parliament. Particularly as the SNP are apparently on course for quite a win in Scotland. This is setting a dangerous precedent that it won't matter who you vote for if it's not the Big Two, because they'll just close ranks.

Ditto UKIP. I loathe them. Nigel 'I'm not a racist, but' Farage and his cronies want to drag the UK back to an entirely imagined 1950's. They are The Daily Mail incarnate (I blame Teclis).

Yet nobody has chosen to rule out any sort of coalition with UKIP, and nobody should.

But it seems the SNP are totally fair game for the politicial malechickenblock. Why?

Now, irrespective of whether or not you feel Scotland is over represented (that kettle of fish isn't something we spods can do much about), at this election there will be 72 Scottish Seats up for grabs. Assuming a worst case scenario, let's say SNP win all of them.

That's 72 sitting, duly elected MPs out of a total of 649 that will not be allowed to form a coalition. How is that in any way democractic - to remove over 10% of MPs from anything useful?
    Psychosplodge has pointed out SNP are only going to take labour seats so its a move by them to secure votes for themselves. Also after SNPs antics over the referendum they are pretty disliked in England and association with them will cost labour votes in England. Seriously SNPs rhetoric does sound quite UKIPish and I supect I'm not the only one who got tired of hearing the term "The English" used as an insult as well as blatant disregard for history ( 2 out of the last 3 British Prime Ministers have been Scottish)

Now they will still have all their full voting rights as MP, West Lothian question and all, they just aren't going to be entering a coalition government with the Labour Party. Scotland has a population of around 5.5 million the UK has one of around 62 million, there is no way there could possible a democratic mandate for SNP to form part of the Government. Running the Scottish Assembly sure but having anything other than a minor say in the UK as a whole they just don't have enough people voting for them for it to be anything else.