BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 74 of 236 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I'm not that fat

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

*drumroll*

*tumbleweed*
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Ha.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Well, just over 48 hours to go until it's all over for (theoretically) another five years.

I reckon we'll see a minority Labour Government, with some back up from the SNP.

UKIP I really expect to get annihilated in the polls. As a normal Labour voter myself, I'd quite happily vote Tory over the extremely vicious UKIP any day of the week, so in marginal seats we might see the same happen. The Tories might well be seen as unpleasant, but at least UKIP seem to drawn out their nastiest elements like a Lunatic Poultice on a festering wound.

Overall, I wouldn't be massively fussed if the Tories do wind up back in - although I object to them on many points, I'm alright Jack, as the cuts made don't affect my position.

LibDumbs seem almost as delusional as UKIP as to their prospects of success this time around.

This may actually be the best thing to happen to UK Politics in a long, long time. The three main parties have discovered they can't simply spout the same old rhetoric, and people have been at least listening to the smaller parties, and what they would offer - yes, even including UKIP.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

personally I am hoping for a coalition of SNP, Greens, and Plaid
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

As long as UKIP get pumped and Farage loses South Thanet, I think I'll be happy enough.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    However, much of that is history, and thus isn't relevant to modern politics. However, there are countries in the UK that might want to break away or reclaim heritage that was trodden down by the English, if not exterminated - see the ethnic cleansing in Scotland circa William Wallace times for an example of that.
    I feel like Scotland is the poorest example of that. England never captured Scotland by invasion, and Scotland invaded England plenty of times too. Scotland and England only joined when James the VI of Scotland also became James I of England after Elizabeth I died. There was oppression of the Highlands in particular IIRC, but lowland Scotland was fairly well off from that point on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Trouble is, the 'no immagrunts in are country' bunch show a disturbing lack of historical context.

Not only is it shockingly hypocritical to bang on about 'coming over here, taking our jobs' given our Imperial history, but they long for a Britain which, put simply, has never actually existed. England in particular has been incredibly multicultural ever since Roman times.

A 'culturally pure' England is a Daily Mail invention, based on their whitewashing of history. From the Polish pilots who fought in The Battle of Britain to the long history of Britain playing host to migrants, it's all ignored in the name of shocking bigotry.
    Yeah, our very national identity is founded on multiple invasions and mass immigrations, it is just a bigoted modern view that being English is a 'pure' identity.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Britain should be very proud of its heritage - I just wish the right wing weren't so selective.

For instance, claiming multi-cultural experiments have failed. No, no they have not. There is no such thing as a 'no-go' area for white people in the UK. They're myths. Yes, there are a few odd balls out there putting up moronic stickers declaring 'Sharia Area' and making daft claims. But hey, show me a society anywhere without its deluded members.

If there is any failing, it's the casual racism society still exhibits toward anyone not white, middle class and English. Is it any wonder migrants tend to congregate together, especially with the like of Britain First and their 'armoured land rovers' trying to 'take are countree back'?

Chapter-Master

I suggest you're hopelessly optimistic or naive if you believe no go areas don't exist. They might not be big, or numerous but they definitely exist.

Apparently the Independent (left leaning?) came out in favour of continuing the current coalition over a labour/snp one.
    I really don't think a party that aims to destroy the country has any place in government.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Even if there are rare no go areas they exist in a society that devalues people with dark skin at a societal level, with people of colour being [URL="http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/feb/02/black-drivers-stopped-police"]much more likely to be stopped by the police[/URL], [URL="http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/12/police-stop-and-search-black-people"]subjected to other police power[/URL]s and [URL="http://www.irr.org.uk/research/statistics/criminal-justice/"]even arrested here in the UK[/URL]. The [URL="http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/20-british-police-officers-sacked-over-racism-since-2010-1481354"]police do this with virtual impunity[/URL]. So the whole country is something of a no-go zone for them. Not to mention subtler elements of Islamophobia and racism which make people of colour and Muslims even more uncomfortable just being out in the street.

I mean really all a no go zone is in a UK city is an area where ethnic and religious minorities are free from dealing with people who treat them like crap.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!