BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Chaplain

Default Astartes: First contact

Well we all know that the Emperors angels of death live up to their name and can mete out destruction with terrible prejudice. However, it need not always be this way when they first encounter the unknown. Although less tolerant of Xenos, there were plenty of times in the great crusade where they were rediscovering a human world outside of the reach of the IoM and had to show prowess in nuance and negotiation (certainly so from the primarchs, and to varying degrees all the way down the line).

Even in the modern setting, there are times when the Astartes have been shown to be able to speak using a language other than bolt-gun

So with that in mind, which chapter might have the most tempered approach to meeting a group of unaffiliated humans (such as the Gereon Partisans) instead of immediately decrying them as heretics and blasting them from existence? I have heard that the Ultramarines have been show to value gaurdsmen (non-enhanced humans) and treat them with better respect than other chapters, yet their inflexible adherence to doctrine might make it difficult for them to hold peaceful first meetings?

Any suggestions?

Angry marines?
    Last edited by Dlatrex; 09-22-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Chapter-Master

I get the impression 30k marines weren't indoctrinated to the same degree as 40k marines.
    So had more flexibility when meeting new humans, also they weren't bound by the restrictions of the codex.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Salamanders are shown time and again to be the most tolerant and concerned with humans well being. Raven guard too (well their Primarch certainly was). I wouldn't fancy being an unaligned human meeting a World eater (pre heresy) or Iron hand. One would happily turn you into a kebab and the other a servitor. No thanks.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I'd expect the top 3 Chapters would be: Salamanders, Ultramarines, and probably Blood Angels. Bottom 3 would probably be (no particular order) Black Templars, Flesh Tearers, maybe Dark Angels? I was going to say Grey Knights, but I can't see them actually *meeting* any unaligned humans; they'd take one look from afar and either file it as somebody else's problem or Exterminatus it, depending on whether they spotted any active signs of Daemon-worship.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chaplain

Definitely NOT the "Marines Malevolent:"

[url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Marines_Malevolent[/url]

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    Definitely NOT the "Marines Malevolent:"

[url]http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Marines_Malevolent[/url]
    Ouch. Talk about a path to sour relations.