BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default New Tyranids Codex!

With the possible release of the new Tyrnaids codex sometime in the next year I though that I would make a thread where people could put what they want to see in the next dex.

I personally just want to see some point tweaks and a few new toys (mainly weapons) like a weapon with a flame template but I want the core of the army to work the same way!

Now go... and say what think should be in there!

I'd like to see the obvious things get fixed: symbiote rippers, thornback etc. Maybe letting venom cannons get more than glances, say -1 on the roll instead of -2.

Really what I want from the new nid release is some new plastic kits. I'd like to see a plastic tyrant, lictors, gargoyles, and raveners.

Lictors either need a buff to live up to their current point cost/anything close to it, or a serious point decrease. I still field them out of love for the appeal of the unit and the little things they can do, but the 160 points spent on a couple that show up, pop a carelessly placed tank or two at best, and is then blasted apart on the following turn stings a little.

Hormogaunts need a look over, they're a very awkward unit to handle considering their points, dedicating a Flyrant to babysit them is neither practical or always effective as the Hormogaunts can still potentially outpace their herder.

Obviously there are a lot of redundant biomorphs thanks to 5th edition rules, I'd like it if they were replaced with more...morphable (no pun intended) rules, I suppose? Instead of merely updating Thornback to somehow affect the new wound resolution for close combat, replace it with another effect that works on a more fundamental rule of the assault phase. Given that they've already started doing the former in the 5th edition codexes we've seen (such as the two standards for the IG), it's unlikely.

Raveners also need some help or at least an amendment to their Deep Strike like that of the Lictor, allowing them to assault afterwards - potent indeed considering their 12" assault range but most other assault units that can rely on deepstriking to get them into range have the additional benefit of at least above average resistance to shooting. The best Raveners can rely on is a 4+ save and their extra wound, and it's not like they can take any especially dangerous shooting weapons to have appear right next to a prime target. Perhaps if we got some sort of bio-acid flamer template weapon...

That's about all I can think of.
    Last edited by Madjob; 08-03-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Scout

I think new plastic kits are obvious, and WILL happen. Preferably, I would like to see a plastic Tyrant, Guard, Gargoyles, Raveners, and Lictors.

I think one of the biggest problems of the current dex is that Carnifexes are too good to pass up. Most competitive armies I see have at least three, even at 1500 points. They need some sort of points shift, both a base increase and an increase in the cost of their biomorphs. Part of me wants to say that they should just stay Heavies and get rid of the Elite fexes, but then all you'd see would be pimped out giant fexes and none of the smaller, more point friendly ones (which I like to see). Perhaps even a limit on how many can have some of the more powerful biomorphs, notably regeneration.

In general I'd like to see the codex return back to a more "horde" style. The 5th rules have helped a lot, but there's still ground to be covered. A lot of units (gargoyles, biovores, lictors) need a LOT of work to be playable at a competitive level, while some others (raveners, hormagaunts) need some slight tweaks.

And finally, I completely agree with you, drummerholt, that the Nids need need need! new symbiote weapons. At least one that can deal with a land raider, but mostly just for an increased variety.

I know this seems negative, but I think the current codex is good for "fun" games. It has a lot of flavor, and armies can be built in a lot of different ways. But the downfall is that on a competitive level I see mostly the same armies popping up again. I know all codexes can be like that, but it seems especially bad for the Nids.

Yeah new plastics are a must lol.

New weapons are also a must.

One idea I have is the bio-cannon that is bio-titan but have it take up two weapon slots.

Another thing that I think is going to change alot is the lictor. Here is how I see it changing:

1. He will cost less (or have better stats to justify his points)
    2. His Pheromone Trail power will be more like the Astropath in that it will be a +1 and reroll on the outflank chart (that's my guess)
    3. He may have that power weapon power that the brood lord has.
    4. He will have some different upgades that you can give him.
    Thats just what I think will happen based on how the recent dexes have been writen (It's not a rumor just my guess).
    Got a question about Tyranids PM me
    I will do what I can to help.

Chapter-Master

Leave canifexes as is. They are awesome.

What the army needs is to have Biovores, Spore Mines and Zoanthropes redone and buffed up so they can compete with the heavy slot.

Also.... the one thing people have asked for since the late 90's and still haven't gotten....

Plastic Gargoyles!!!!!

Return Rending to how it used to be, so Tyranid Rending can be feared again. Having Marines friggin SUCK UP and destroy rending for Tyranids in 4th edition was a travesty at best.

Why should Tyranid rending suffer because players backlashed GW's obvious idiocy for over powering Marine assault cannons?

Genestealers went from god like in 3rd edition to 'extra brood lord wounds' in 5th edition. Pretty sad. And CC warriors need a boost as well.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Fly Lord

A squad of 3 Biovores needs to be a scary and viable heavy support option that can make any area of the table very uncofomfortable for the opponent to stay in.

Agreed on the Lictors... they suck now. I would push them towards a Marbo/Callidus reulset, so the most potent part of them is the fear and uncertainty they inflict on the PLAYER during deployment and early game.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Madjob View Post
    Lictors either need a buff to live up to their current point cost/anything close to it, or a serious point decrease. I still field them out of love for the appeal of the unit and the little things they can do, but the 160 points spent on a couple that show up, pop a carelessly placed tank or two at best, and is then blasted apart on the following turn stings a little.
    I'd pay 160 pts to drop a 200 pt tank. or two. I'd call that a job well done.

I think the points cost for lictors is where they need to be, but they do need some better rules. Especially with the terrain changes in 5th. they need rules like marbo for deployment. I'd also like to see what someone else mentioned about the pheromone trails treating like the IG guys that give bonuses to reserve rolls. They could also use some type of "always wounds on 3+" or a power-weapon type attack.

I'd like to see gaunts be able to go up buildings without having to pay for flesh hooks They should be built in, or come standard (stupid 'moves like beasts' - ie, cant get to 2nd floor of a building).

Plastic gargoyles. yes please.

I like the fexes and they tyrants as they are. some of the other choices need some work to make them viable. biovores come to mind. Zoanthropes...could use some attention too. Make them plastic for starters heh.

I'd like to see more Nid warriors too. make them cheaper and increase their max unit size from 3 to 5...maybe even 10. that would be freakin scary.

One last thing - Special Nid Characters. I always thought Old One-eye was cool. maybe a little ridiculous and over powered, but really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamHarry View Post
    I'd pay 160 pts to drop a 200 pt tank. or two. I'd call that a job well done.

I think the points cost for lictors is where they need to be, but they do need some better rules. Especially with the terrain changes in 5th. they need rules like marbo for deployment. I'd also like to see what someone else mentioned about the pheromone trails treating like the IG guys that give bonuses to reserve rolls. They could also use some type of "always wounds on 3+" or a power-weapon type attack.
    Certainly that'd be a job well done, but it isn't what usually happens. I've had a Lictor break a Russ over two turns and that was thanks to my opponent sending it off unsupported, but that's the only time I can think of them making their points back that easily. Usually I get a cheap transport if I'm lucky, and sometimes I don't. Regardless it still feels like a waste, I'd love to be using their Hit and Run to pop in and out of cover after each assault, but their survivability against most things with a WS score is low and obviously you can't use it against vehicles.

Giving their attacks the Broodlord ability would be definitely useful, it'd give them much better chances at hurting a unit enough to live through their following attacks. Boosting his armor save by a point would also be nice.

I'd like to have some workable antitank that is not based on monsters in melee.

and lifte the 0-1 limits forflyrants, lictors, tropes and biowhores.also fiy their KP issues.

add the usuall "everything not much palyed gets 25% cheaper" as well as uses for redundant biomorphs and I'm happy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast