BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone else notice how they spread the love around with the different suits and FOC slots?

The standard XV104 Riptide is an Elite choice.
    The newish XV107 R'varna is a Heavy choice.
    The new new XV109 Y'vahra is a Fast choice.

Points permitting that's 9 suits in a legal game...err bound I guess I should say.

XV104 base 180 x 3 = 540
    XV107 base 260 x 3 = 780
    XV109 base 230 x 3 = 690

for a total of 2010 base with no upgrades.

So by the cost it's expensive to do, but can be done. I dunno..just something I noticed..

Librarian

instead of doing 3 of each, why not make one or two a character style model and that way you can fit in normal crisis suits.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Yeah...so there's this thing called cover and to hit rolls....
    Tau being famous for struggling with those two things, of course.

I remember hearing many complaints towards the Riptide suffixed with, "but thank God it never hits with its BS3 or bounces off Cover all the time."
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Yeah being famous for ignoring those....with a few hundread points /squishy units added on
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

This one is 50pts more expensive, -2S on the weapon, and has a 66" lesser range to utilise that weapon in. Sure it auto-Hits and hits twice, natively Ignoring Cover, but it covers a smaller area and will Wound less. Arguably it's not any more scary than a couple of D-Scythes, especially to Multi-Wound models. There's a lot of armies like Guard, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Orks, basically non-MEQ armies that will laugh at this thing then beat it up and steal its lunch money.

Also it's only about 70-110pts to give a Riptide the reliable support it needs via Tetras or Pathfinders. It can hang back and support, this can't, and with -1W I think people are underestimating the fact that having a Tau unit designed to hang within 12" of the enemy makes for a vulnerable Tau unit.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

if you think hordes are going to laugh at 2 S6 (torrent 6') flamers and those fletchett discharges then you've not played hordes
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I've played against many Hordes. Can't help but feel that paying the points cost for an AP2 Flamer would make anti-Horde use for this irrelevant. Oh no, I ignored the saves of 16 Boyz and killed most of them. 80pts and it's sitting pretty waiting for them and the rest of the army to Charge it...woohoo?

Considering that for 100pts you could field two Wyverns as Guard, or for 130pts a six-Flamer Crisis team.

I'd also like to reiterate the fact that this is designed to be charged, yet will not be tough enough to survive it against most opponents. It also can't cause Explodes results on non-Open-Topped Transports, so it can't hope to do too much damage that way. Wall of Death and No Escape are unaffected by the Heavy 2 nature of the Flamer, as they are flat D3/D6 rolls, rather than dependent on the number of shots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123