BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    You kidding? Bladestorm and battle focus are far, far, far, far, far, far, far more useful than ld 10 on a couple of units. Exarch upgrades are mostly useless anyways, far too expemnsive for what you get.
    Totally agree. Plus Bladestorm and Battle Focus capture the feel of the Eldar very nicely and aren't responsible for the unbalance the Eldar enjoy in the current meta.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

You kidding? Bladestorm and battle focus are far, far, far, far, far, far, far more useful than ld 10 on a couple of units. Exarch upgrades are mostly useless anyways, far too expemnsive for what you get.
    i think you guys missed the point i was trying to make.

bladestorm and battle focus are awesome, i regularly pop my dragons on 'speed' out of cover - fry a target and then with the benefit of a fleet re-roll vanish into cover again. the same with warlocks or 'jumping spiders.

the 'nerf' to eldar was to remove these abilities or at least tone them down. [perplexingly harlequins have no battle focus]

my 'trade' was to give eldar something in return for giving up their equivalent of 'combat drugs' - a leadership boost for already overcosted exarches and the requirement for at least the opportunity to 'buy' ST 4 power weapons.

bladestorm as written is especially useful against poor terminators or [shock horror] when fighting other eldar - making catapults only AP 3 would still balance them against marine equivalents - but stop them wiping the floor with heavy infantry.

the only thing more effective against heavy infantry - many of whom should perhaps have two wounds - is DE poison - and unless you play a foot-wraith army - no one else is really overly bothered by it as they still get full armour saves.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    i think you guys missed the point i was trying to make.

bladestorm and battle focus are awesome
    I got the gist of it but I don't find bladestorm and battle focus to be the unbalancing part of the Eldar book. Actually without both of these Guardians are essentially useless. (Not that the net min maxers take Guardians anyhow but I usually field 2-3 squads)

Serpents are 'the' unbalancing item in the book. I find 3 of them to be more then enough to slap most opponents around.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Well, serpents mixed with wraithknights. There are a few other lesser evils that could use a nerf, but battle focus and bladestorm actually make guardians and DAs somewhat useful in their own right.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

bladestorm and battle focus are awesome, i regularly pop my dragons on 'speed' out of cover - fry a target and then with the benefit of a fleet re-roll vanish into cover again. the same with warlocks or 'jumping spiders.

the 'nerf' to eldar was to remove these abilities or at least tone them down. [perplexingly harlequins have no battle focus]

my 'trade' was to give eldar something in return for giving up their equivalent of 'combat drugs' - a leadership boost for already overcosted exarches and the requirement for at least the opportunity to 'buy' ST 4 power weapons.

bladestorm as written is especially useful against poor terminators or [shock horror] when fighting other eldar - making catapults only AP 3 would still balance them against marine equivalents - but stop them wiping the floor with heavy infantry.

the only thing more effective against heavy infantry - many of whom should perhaps have two wounds - is DE poison - and unless you play a foot-wraith army - no one else is really overly bothered by it as they still get full armour saves.
    What's wrong with having a single ability be good against terminators? And why take the signature special rule of the eldar (battle focus) away from the eldar? Do you likewise take away ATSKNF away from marines? And how is having AP 2 good against other eldar when not a single thing in the eldar army has a 2+ save (other than perhaps some special characters no one uses)?

And again, let me point out that eldar are not dominating the tournament scene, so the need for any kind of balance adjustments is dubious at best.

Chapter-Master

Well, serpents mixed with wraithknights. There are a few other lesser evils that could use a nerf, but battle focus and bladestorm actually make guardians and DAs somewhat useful in their own right.
    I always forget the wraithknights... I do surprising well against them but Serpents are the bane of my existence... when I'm not fielding my own Eldar army of course.
    My Truescale Insanity

Chapter-Master

And again, let me point out that eldar are not dominating the tournament scene, so the need for any kind of balance adjustments is dubious at best.
    They really were. Now Knights have supplanted them to a degree, but they're still heavily overrepresented.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

And that is precisely the problem.

Considering Eldar and Dark Eldar are at least written like they're Yin and Yang opposites, why not make Bladestorm just confer Shred? Blasting giant monsters and other less numerous but heavy targets is more Dark Eldar's thing, but Kabalites suffer terribly against hordes because they just don't have the shot volume when you always wound on a 4+, no matter how wimpy your target. By contrast, Shred would make Shuriken weapons lawn mower their way through hordes, but generally plink off heavy armor and giant monsters.

They really were. Now Knights have supplanted them to a degree, but they're still heavily overrepresented.
    The four most consistently-attending players in my local meta play Eldar, Dark Eldar, Taudar, and Knights. Short of a 36-Zoanthrope list, how are my Tyranids supposed to get back on the wagon?
    Last edited by ReveredChaplainDrake; 11-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by ReveredChaplainDrake View Post

The four most consistently-attending players in my local meta play Eldar, Dark Eldar, Taudar, and Knights. Short of a 36-Zoanthrope list, how are my Tyranids supposed to get back on the wagon?
    With an army of 6 mucloids and 6-8 Flyrants......?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Over represented, perhaps, but that speaks to their perceived power level, not their actual power level. The results of 5 tounaments from this month are posted over at torrent of fire, Eldar won 1. As did tau, imperial knights, I believe necrons and space marines, though the space marine tourny was highlander. Even if you discount that 1 in 4 wins for an army that is over represented is not a great showing.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast