BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

i love my eldar - but for 'friendly' games we have agreed some simple mods:

1:wavz silly shield - ONE use only per game

2: fire dragons up in points from 22 to 25pts - they are I5 / A3+ / and with BF have an effective range of up to 24" and they ALL have melta bombs - at least as good as a marine with a melta !

3: spiderz up from 19 pts to 24pts . they have battle focus + !!! - oodles of ST6/7 weapons they even have a two shot AP1 spinner on a BS5 exarch.. shame they dont have a 3++ IV save like necron wraith ... but oh well. they still make a mess of pretty much everything. [oh and they all have built in H&R] !!!

4: walkers are up 5+ points on base - because who doesnt like a walker that is more mobile than a vyper ! - has better protection ! - costs less points and can carry two decent weapons [ oh and doesnt take up a FA slot!]

5: shiny spears are up +2pts to 27 - because really 25pts is ridiculous - the only issue we have is that ONLY the exarch has hit and run - ?? - the rest are all just stallers ! [star wars imperial guard on bikes ] - ["im a skilled rider - but..."]

Brother-Captain

Wave Serpent shields need a general overhaul to work as they do in the fluff rather than just firing once per game. They should hit everything within 6" in their front arc at a lower strength so they're actually a close-up shock assault weapon rather than a long-range anti-(almost) everything weapon.

Fire Dragons are plenty expensive already, no need to make them more expensive. Yes you pay less for a squad all equipped with special weapons, because every one you lose is felt a lot harder than the chumps protecting the special weapon guys in mixed squads. That's why Vanguard end up overpriced if you give them a few power weapons.

24pts is too much for Warp Spiders. They're too cheap yes, but that would be a bit much.

War Walkers aren't the problem, it's Vypers that need to be made better to bring them into line with each other.

Shining Spears certainly aren't under-priced. There's a reason you rarely see them. Also, hit & run is granted to the rest of the squad.

As for the main topic, it's mainly Wave Serpent shields that need to be nerfed. Most Eldar stuff is decent but not overpowered. Spamming Wave Serpents is the problem, and then only because of the shields.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    As for the main topic, it's mainly Wave Serpent shields that need to be nerfed. Most Eldar stuff is decent but not overpowered. Spamming Wave Serpents is the problem, and then only because of the shields.
    Have to agree that this is the game changer... The offensive ability of the shields is insane!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

You are a Marine man up and get some help from our brothers in the warp

Legion of the Damned cast forth from the warp to aide our beleaguered marine brother

I run 2 squads 5/6 man with Melta, Multi-Melta & Combi Melta or plasma pistol axe on the sgt you can re-roll the Deep strike if you want and they ignore cover and are slow and purposeful

Take a squad of 10 and use the LOD codex to add the FNP relic which is also buffed if any squad fails a morale pinning or fear test to a max of +2.

Its a Marine save and some days you'll get bad roles but generally they tank most stuff and can tar pit units in combat, they ignore high AP weapons and this stupid Eldar thing of 6's rending doesn't come into play and once your in combat they've 2 attacks base.

Once they've dropped behind it forces the Eldar player to move out and pushes the Serpents out so generally something is looking at their rear, I play DA so tend to do a mass outflank turn 2 DS and hide for turn 1, yes they can ignore cover but if they can't physically see my attack bikes and speeders then they can't shoot at them. Once my reserves arrive the Bikes speeders coordinate their attacks with the 2 LOD squads who are hopefully in and behind + the DS Deathwing Knight terminators + the outflanking plasma bikes.

It doesn't work all the time but since fetching the LOD its now a pretty tight, even and enjoyable game

The main issue I was having and why I resorted to building a couple of LOD squads has been since 7th the jink save + buff combined with the downgrade to glancing hits was making them near unkillable except by assaulting them

"Shining Spears certainly aren't under-priced. There's a reason you rarely see them. Also, hit & run is granted to the rest of the squad."
    - speartarchs just die. any sensible opponent targets them - difficult to hide a bike - then the squad can be pitted or fried - you can only do so many look out sirs - At T4 with a 4+ save and no IV they are an easy target

imo the reason ppl dont use spears is because spiders do the same job better for 19pts ! St 7 v mech is better than ST6 lance and double the shots.

The very best way I've thought of for dealing with Wave Serpents involves Space Wolves with AstraM allies. Use the 3 open fast attack drop pods and drop in 2 Veteran Squads with melta guns and a demo charge, and the 3rd pod containing a Company Command Squad, perhaps with a Rune Priest(s) or Primaris Psyker(s). All behind the Serpents if possible of course.

Make sure to have some Vox in those squads too, and dish out the Orders to Ignore cover to the Vet squads. Hopefully with all the Divination you can get Perfect Timing on the Command Squad. Triple BOOM!

Or I guess in general just Orders to 2 or 4 lascannon squads, hopefully with Prescience on them, that should deal with them, and for relatively low points cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and a few Deathstrike Missiles on a Skyshield Landing Pad, that could be good too. Figure they Serpents blow their shields on trying to kill those things Turn 1, so they wouldn't have them next player turn to downgrade the penetrating hits.

Don't worry, once 7th comes out instead of just tweaking the OP of Wave Serpents, GW will make them obsolete, and nerf 2-3 more things to make up for it. Meanwhile Riptides will get a price reduction

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Don't worry, once 7th comes out instead of just tweaking the OP of Wave Serpents, GW will make them obsolete, and nerf 2-3 more things to make up for it. Meanwhile Riptides will get a price reduction
    That isn't a hammer hanging over top of the Wave Serpent, it's a sledge hammer!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Veteran-Sergeant

.... Close Combat. Youre gonna love tap the rear, REGARDLESS of facing, and seeing as how your TACTICAL MARINES come with Krak Grenades, that would mean that a squad of 10 will get 10 s6 hits against armor 10, needing a 3+ to hit.... one of you Mathhammer jokers wanna crunch some digits on that?
    Or, if your game is faring that badly, walk to the counter mid game and buy some new dice, bro.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by phreakachu View Post
    .... Close Combat. Youre gonna love tap the rear, REGARDLESS of facing, and seeing as how your TACTICAL MARINES come with Krak Grenades, that would mean that a squad of 10 will get 10 s6 hits against armor 10, needing a 3+ to hit.... one of you Mathhammer jokers wanna crunch some digits on that?
    Or, if your game is faring that badly, walk to the counter mid game and buy some new dice, bro.
    So...catching a skimmer in CC isnt trivial
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast