BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

never said it wasnt. but on the other hand, its not exactly in the realm of a Gaurd Conscript bashing Ghazkhull to death, either. I play Marines. i play Marines up-close-and-personal, because they tend to work better this way. true, a canny opponent can avoid getting their skimmers close to anything, but a solid net of units can make this impossible at best.

many players can and do forget the use of TACTICS... this is more than cut-and-pasting a numb-n*tz netlist onto your B-Scribe roster, this is application of force where needed. positioning of units, use of terrain.

Catching a skimmer in CC, or with an exposed rear isnt Rocket Surgery.

Chaplain

Has anyone else found out the hard way about the interesting tweak in the jink rule? That little thing at the beginning of the rule that states you must declare if you are going to jink before your opponent actually roles to hit. So now, it is not a case of jink if you need it, its do you feel lucky punk or snap fire everything on any skimmer for the whole game. Of course my first use of Serpents was as a troop delivery system, but from now on any skimmer on the table in front of me will be shot at with something threatening. That should slow down a few jet bikes and ravagers.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    Has anyone else found out the hard way about the interesting tweak in the jink rule? That little thing at the beginning of the rule that states you must declare if you are going to jink before your opponent actually roles to hit. So now, it is not a case of jink if you need it, its do you feel lucky punk or snap fire everything on any skimmer for the whole game. Of course my first use of Serpents was as a troop delivery system, but from now on any skimmer on the table in front of me will be shot at with something threatening. That should slow down a few jet bikes and ravagers.
    Its just forcing you to evaluate the likelyhood of damage and make a decisions about what is likely as opposed to a reaction.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Its just forcing you to evaluate the likelyhood of damage and make a decisions about what is likely as opposed to a reaction.
    This is true, but a serpent shield will not be as effective if it only hits on a 6. It means I'm going back to buildings for cover and sitting in reserve with my Falcons until they are needed. Finally a use for that Autarch strategic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gargoyle View Post
    This is true, but a serpent shield will not be as effective if it only hits on a 6. It means I'm going back to buildings for cover and sitting in reserve with my Falcons until they are needed. Finally a use for that Autarch strategic ability.
    Fire with the TL'd scatter laser first, sure its hitting on 6's but you get 4 shots and then 4 rerolls to get one 6. Then if you do get that one 6 the serpent shield and its bottom guns are twin linked as well.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidz View Post
    Fire with the TL'd scatter laser first, sure its hitting on 6's but you get 4 shots and then 4 rerolls to get one 6. Then if you do get that one 6 the serpent shield and its bottom guns are twin linked as well.
    Yeah, Serpents still cause a fair bit of damage even when jinking. Even better if you have flyers to shoot at anyway.

Chapter-Master

Looking at Lords of War. I think the Typhon is the new points-efficient. A 48" S10 AP1 7" template - which ignores cover - with 2 lascannons, 14 all round, ceramite armour so it can only be glanced by melta, 6HP. Comes in with all that a little over 4 ton in points.

I'd put that up against a pro-rata points cost of wave serpents.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Looking at Lords of War. I think the Typhon is the new points-efficient. A 48" S10 AP1 7" template - which ignores cover - with 2 lascannons, 14 all round, ceramite armour so it can only be glanced by melta, 6HP. Comes in with all that a little over 4 ton in points.

I'd put that up against a pro-rata points cost of wave serpents.
    That sounds pretty sexy! Where are the Typhon rules located?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    That sounds pretty sexy! Where are the Typhon rules located?
    Imperial Armour II, 2nd Edition. Home of many things that will peg the "are you serious?!" meter.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Imperial Armour II, 2nd Edition. Home of many things that will peg the "are you serious?!" meter.
    Figures it's hiding in the only IA book I haven't picked up over the years. I'm guessing they were shooting for the "We're seriously trying to sell these models" rules like we usually see in IA. Then inevitably sales goals are met and the model rules are screwed. Look at the poor Lucius.. It was a Wave Serpent death sentence (among other things) and now it's one of the most useless models in the Imperial arsenal. Go design team!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast