BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help, What should I buy for my guard next..?

So, I want to get my Guard up to atleast 2500 points and I need help deciding what to buy next. I dont want any cheese lists, And I promised a friend I wouldent get any more Leman Russ tanks.. I just play for fun and it is important that my opponents have fun aswell. What I currently own is

Yarrick
    Creed
    Kell
    2 Standards
    1 Commander
    1 Lord Commissar
    6 Vox Casters
    8 Flamer Guardsmen
    6 Melta Guardsmen
    2 Plasma Guardsmen
    1 Sniper Guardsman
    1 Guardsman with Melta Bomb
    63 Guardsmen with Lasguns
    13 Guardsmen with Las Pistol
    1 Ogryn/Nork
    3 Heavy Weapons Team Autocannons
    2 Heavy Weapons Team Missile Launchers
    1 Heavy Weapons Team Mortar
    2 Leman Russ (One with Battlecannon, And one with Plasma cannon and plasma cannon sponsons)
    1 Hellhound
    3 Chimera
    2 Valkyrie
    1 Armoured Sentinel (Without a base)

Hmm... I kind of want Ratlings.. But I dunnos if I should go for 5 or 10.. I also kind of want a Bullgryn unit but I dunnos if I should keep base equipment or swap their equipment..

Full Battery of Wyverns!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Wait you promised him you wouldn't add any more Leman Russ tanks? But you only have 2 of them, that's nothing. If you had maybe 5 or 6 already I could understand that at least then you'd have most/all of the various types covered but 2?

On a more serious note, I'd go with Mystery's suggestion, get a Wyvern/Hydra in there or better yet 3 of them. Or a Basilisk or a Manticore, your force needs artillery!
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chaplain

Yeah you're fairly poor tank wise for a large Guard force. But if you don't want to buy more battle tanks then here's some ideas:

Wyverns. They're borderline OP for how little points they cost and what they can do.

Basilisks. Heavy artillery is always fun. And Guard can always use more pie plates.

Militarum Tempestus. A squad of Stormtroopers can be a nice addition, especially when they can take orders. Plus the models looks great.

More infantry. Without tanks you'll need one or two more large infantry units.

My suggestions would be to fill out the sentinel unit, multi lasers and auto cannons are usually good choices as it keeps the points costs down. Forgeworld sell a conversion kit too make vendettas, which offer a huge increase in firepower over Valkaries and I would certainly recommend them despite the points increase. you look to have a lot of infantry so a fortification might be a good inclusion, either the standard agies defence line or the wall of martyers which can give your otherwise vulnerable squads some protection.

Don't let the internet tell you how you should or shouldn't play, if your regular opponent has asked you to keep the numbers of Leman russ down, and you are happy to do so don't let the internet tell you that you should field at least 6 before anyone should say anything. play how the pair of you can best enjoy the game

First-Captain

I'd second the suggestion to get at least some measure of artillery in there - Wyvrens are probably better for the points, but a Manticore is very scary with the amount of S10 pieplates it throws around.
    Another thing I'd recommend is getting a Primaris Psyker or three - both for the buffs and some measure of defense. Kinda depends on your regular opponents though - against some armies that would be largely a waste of points if they dominate psychics regardless...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

I'm thinking of adding a 10 man unit of Ratlings, 6 Bullgryn with Power Mauls, Another Hellhound, And a Wyvern. ^_^

TWELFTY WYVERNS!

And then some Wyverns.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

get a full battery of wyvrens dirt cheap points wise and are an amazing unit.

try a vendetta they went up in price but i don't leave home with out mine.

if you guys play lord of war i suggest a baneblade variant or possible knight titans.

the other options i suggest are forge world units yes i know they are expensive but they can bring alot of character and they look stunning on the table.
    unfiltered since 85. Don't like me tell some one who cares

Chapter-Master

2 wyverns. Or, if any of that mighty list is unpainted, howsabout none, encourage you to paint and not field a grey hoard?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast