BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    The fact is that the whole situation has put you 'out of coherency', the only rule to do with that is that you must get back into coherency asap. There's no rule anywhere that says you 'can't' charge due to already being out of it. Only that you should be in it once all the charge moves are complete. But ... You can't; in this situation you were already out of Coherency due to the overwatch; that's not your problem, you just carry on as you are still in range for the charge. Had the roll been let's say 4 inches the question wouldn't have arisen, it only arose because the CR was 3"; and the models charging were for arguments sake 2.5" apart so that once into B2B they were out of coherency. Life happens; poor dice rolls happen but at the end of the day, all that matters is the actual CR which is enough to get the unit into battle, then you get them back into coherency with the pile in moves like you would if they were already in combat.
    hmm interesting, sounds plausible, But what would then stop said player for claiming they could charge units 6-12 appart and it not matter because they are out of coherency before the charge?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    hmm interesting, sounds plausible, But what would then stop said player for claiming they could charge units 6-12 appart and it not matter because they are out of coherency before the charge?
    When you move your models in the charging unit, they have to try and end the charge in coherency. You can't choose to break unit coherency.
    Loosing models to casualties in any phase is not your choice.

Chapter-Master

Thats not what I was saying.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

This one:

Simply states that if models are out of coherency they must restore coherency in the next Movement Phase or as soon as they have the opportunity (in the OP example, you would have two 3" Pile In moves to do this in that turn)
    Spreading the models out even more is not trying to restore coherency as soon as possible.

Chapter-Master

ok pretty simple then. All works on my end then

Chaplain

There is another issue here however.

If the unit being charged, the one that over watched, has a higher initiative than the charging unit then they will get their pile in moves first.

If they then make it into B2B with the charging unit the charging unit cannot restore unit coherency as they will then be in combat and may not get a pile in move.

I don't have an answer for this one, but as somebody asked what I would do in my gaming group:

I would allow the charge as at least one model can make it into combat, but I would count it as a disordered charge. I think that's the fairest way to do it but it appears there are no rules to resolve the situation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    There is another issue here however.

If the unit being charged, the one that over watched, has a higher initiative than the charging unit then they will get their pile in moves first.

If they then make it into B2B with the charging unit the charging unit cannot restore unit coherency as they will then be in combat and may not get a pile in move.

I don't have an answer for this one, but as somebody asked what I would do in my gaming group:

I would allow the charge as at least one model can make it into combat, but I would count it as a disordered charge. I think that's the fairest way to do it but it appears there are no rules to resolve the situation.
    It would be rare for the charger to be out of coherency, but the chargee able to Pile In to the charger's unit. It's possible, but the odds are low, especially when the model the charger hits is usually the closest one, and that one is probably at the farther end of ITS coherency. So they have to make up the difference in coherency, bypass any models that can get in to base to base with the charging model, and then hit a charging unit's model.

Possible, but odds are crazy to get it to happen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123