BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Initiate

Default Eldar Jetbikes Assault move rule question

Hello,

I have the following rules question. The Eldar Jetbike entry in the rulebook, mentions that unless the jetbike has turbo boosted it can make a 2d6 move in the assault phase and does not mention that the jetbikes cannot charge afterwards. The "same" kind of move made from jetpack units is called a thrust move and specifically mentions that they cannot assault, but in the Jetbike entry it does not mention this.

I am inquiring since a friend noticed this rule and has started hyping about it and how he can even use this after assaulting since it does not mention it cannot do it either before or after a charge, as the jetpack unit entry does.

Btw, i am new here and to the hobby in general have started playing Tau around 1 year ago.

Veteran-Sergeant

If you do a 2D6" move into contact with the enemy in the assault phase it is called a charge. If you do a 2D6" move in the assault phase because you are on a jetbike and are not trying to contact the enemy then that is done instead of a charge not as well, before or after a charge. You can of course move 1D6" after combat as a consolidation move assuming you finish off the opponents.

I'm actually not finding anything that explicitly says the 2d6 non-charge movement precludes you from charging as well.

Mad Cat doesn't provide an except for his/her assertion either.

However, I strongly believe that the intent was it to be mutually exclusive with charging, based on precedent set by smoke grenades, run/turbo-boosting, etc, but given that I don't have a verbatim to back this up, if you were being obstinate about it at my table, I'd make us roll off.
    Last edited by hyudun; 10-07-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Well, look at it the other way around: can you find anything, anywhere, in any GW or FW publication, that lets you move any unit whatsoever more than once in the same phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Well, look at it the other way around: can you find anything, anywhere, in any GW or FW publication, that lets you move any unit whatsoever more than once in the same phase?
    Not sure that's relevant since specific rules override general rules.

I haven't played since 3rd edition so I don't actually have a clue, but don't you have to declare charges at the start of the phase? would preclude charging after utilising that move

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Not that it allows it in this case, but a unit can move 3 times in the Assault Phase (Charge, Pile In, Pile In/Break/Consolidate).

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhizz84 View Post
    I haven't played since 3rd edition so I don't actually have a clue, but don't you have to declare charges at the start of the phase? would preclude charging after utilising that move
    Great thought. Looked into it:
    (1) The Assault phase is split into the charge sub-phase and fight sub-phase
    (2) The Eldar Jetbike rules does NOT specify where in the Assault phase it occurs
    (3) The Assault phase rules does NOT specify that the declaring charges must be the first actions done for the phase

So it still leaves room for the E-Jetbike's 2d6 move to occur before charges are declared.

The lack of specificity also leads me to believe that the 2d6 move was meant to completely supplant the normal operations of a charge and remove the option of declaring a charge to begin with, but again, nothing explicit to back myself up here.

I had always assumed the 2D6 move replaced regular Assault phase actions, but the book specifies that Eldar Jetbikes treat terrain differently if they do the 2D6 move AND charge. This implies you can do both, but I would assume you'd have to do the move before the charge.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by hyudun View Post
    I'm actually not finding anything that explicitly says the 2d6 non-charge movement precludes you from charging as well.

Mad Cat doesn't provide an except for his/her assertion either.

However, I strongly believe that the intent was it to be mutually exclusive with charging, based on precedent set by smoke grenades, run/turbo-boosting, etc, but given that I don't have a verbatim to back this up, if you were being obstinate about it at my table, I'd make us roll off.

Completely agree.
    Furthermore, and bearing in mind I play exclusively Eldar, I wouldn't try that interpretation on anybody, as I don't believe that was intended at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast