BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    That's not the problem with 40k; the problem is that somebody decided it might be a good idea to try and play tourneys with a narrative game built for fun. Apocalypse was always the same; narrative, it was never meant to be balanced in any way shape or form; and is in fact further proof that as flawed as 40k may be it is still the only game that can do all sizes of battle from a few skirmishers on a 4X4 board to thousands of models on... well any board you have room for.
    *Sigh.*

Rogue Trader started out as a sort of RPG with minis, but quickly morphed into a miniatures game. Those are games with clear winner and loser. Regardless of how "narrative" you want it to be, people will want to win.

It was during 2nd edition - very early in 40K's lifetime - that GAMES WORKSHOP decided to host Grand Tournaments, and even threw in a couple of things to try to keep it balanced, such as removing a card from the strategy card deck that could just wreck a game depending on the armies involved. GAMES WORKSHOP, and the designers who made the games, decided to embrace that they made a game with winners and losers, and people like to compete.

It is ridiculous to hear people act like tournaments are something new that go against what GW and its designers intended. The guys who freaking wrote the games hosted the tournaments. Jervis and Andy would attend and help run them. IIRC, I think Tuomas and maybe someone else (Alessio?) won a tournament or two before coming to work for GW, so they were hiring people who played in that environment to come write the games for them (and people actually liked what those guys did). Games Workshop holds staff tournaments. Seriously, the people who are bashing tournaments and claiming that it's wrong for people to want to play tournaments are the ones who are actually going against what Games Workshop intends with its games.

You want "narrative" games where you don't keep track of score? Cool, fine. I enjoy games where there's a story to them and it might give someone a bonus or penalty, though we still figure out who won or lost, because, you know, that's kind of the point of a game. But in honesty, you're in a very small minority if you don't think equal competition matters. It's not a hobby of WAAC players, but everyone wants to win, and it's good to have an equal chance for everyone before you take into account factors like skill.

People need to stop perpetuating this false myth that the gamers introduced tournaments recently and it ruined 40K. Games Workshop created the tournament circuits, Games Workshop hired tournament players, Games Workshop still runs tournaments in their own offices, Games Workshop staff encourage tournaments, Games Workshop used to host a tournament system for stores, and it has been like this for twenty years or so. So seriously, just stop already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Epic was the first game I properly played. Many a happy weekend spent in the garage, playing against my brother and my mates.

Going to have to track down complete copies of all the rules, and then set about getting some armies together. Absolutely love the 2nd Ed Space Marine and Titan Legions rules.
    It was the game that really introduced me to GW stuff. I saw some 40K and WFB here and there, but watching my dad and other folks playing Adeptus Titanicus in the back of a game shop captured my imagination in a huge way. I went ripping through the books reading the background, all the side-stories, looking at the art. I sat in class drawing Titans (which was kind of amusing in elementary school, but thankfully the teachers recognized I was, ah, "different"). When I finally got to join in with a Titan or two, I was ecstatic. And then I got started in 40K with a small force of Space Marines (Blood Angels, to be exact), saw the Orks... and the rest is history.

I actually got the Titan Legions box set as a birthday gift one year. Made me a happy guy. I still have a ton of Ork stuff (and some Eldar stuff that my brother played, but eh). Also have a few boxes of Squat stuff. Sadly, I don't have the core boxes, though I do have all the expansions except Tyranids. I'd love to find them all some day, that version of the game was awesome, before Epic 40K made it feel too generic and like playing a bunch of random 40K armies instead of an actual force made up of tank companies and infantry battalions and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Hurr hurr. Did i offend?

My point was, so many of the current 40k models were epic models, to say they were all rubbish but buy them or wamt them in 40k is a little silly.

Chapter-Master

I'm gonna make an Epic Nostalgia thread in General, so we don't continue to derail this thread...

Edit : here it is : [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?49925-The-Epic-Nostalgia-thread&p=455804#post455804[/url]
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 10-16-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I'm gonna make an Epic Nostalgia thread in General, so we don't continue to derail this thread...

Edit : here it is : [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?49925-The-Epic-Nostalgia-thread&p=455804#post455804[/url]
    I've now posted most of the pictures I got at [URL="http://chaptermasters.com/category/warhammer-fest/"]Warhammer Fest[/URL] on the chaptermasters site.

Here are a few

Rogue Trader since 1991.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011