BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default REVIEW - Dark Eldar Hardcover Codex 2014

Checkout my review of the new Dark Eldar Codex, Checkout the full article on the blog[URL="http://spikeybitsblog.com/2014/10/in-depth-dark-eldar-codex-reveiw.html"] [url]http://spikeybitsblog.com/2014/10/in-depth-dark-eldar-codex-reveiw.html[/url] [/URL]

Want even more? Checkout spikeybitsblog.com

I stopped watching when you started with the "people saying the sky is falling" bit. If you can't do a review without mocking criticism of other reviewers then I'm not interested in hearing the rest of your schtick.

So in short:
    You went past every single nerfed unit and only point out how this is a well written Codex: Eldar Supplement.
    You also try to sell the missing LoW as something "special" and go in how good the design team is doing ruleswise.

Writing an Eldar Supplement is not a good job done when you where expected to write a Dark Eldar Codex.
    Some (of the very few) rules do already cause issues and I fully expect them to do the Blood Angels Codex an the same level as Space Wolves and Space Marines (and thats way over the powerlevel of this book) without getting rid of over 50% of their Special Characters and of course the Bloodangels will get a LoW... so the Dark Eldar are totally in line with other 7th Codices?

Quote Originally Posted by Uberbeast View Post
    I stopped watching when you started with the "people saying the sky is falling" bit. If you can't do a review without mocking criticism of other reviewers then I'm not interested in hearing the rest of your schtick.
    'It's getting a lot of buzz in the internet 'cos everyone is screaming that the sky is falling et.c because well you know it's just falling in line with the normal 7th edition...'

OH MY GOD SUCH VICIOUS CUTTING MOCKERY! HOW DARE!

For ****s sake.

He has the book, he has a clear picture of the rules, he says it isn't bad as some people are saying, he explains why and you whine and nothing about his choice of words or tone is mocking.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

it's just falling in line with the normal 7th edition.
    This is wrong. Its not "in line". Its below.
    Every Codex got LoW, Ground AA and one or more new units. Thats the bare minimum every 7th codex received (and will continue to receive). DE did not. They are not "in line".

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    He has the book, he has a clear picture of the rules, he says it isn't bad as some people are saying, he explains why and you whine and nothing about his choice of words or tone is mocking.
    The 'sky is falling' bit is a dead horse that people like to beat to dismiss people's complaints as illegitimate, and polarizing a review right at the start with a statement like that is pretty sloppy. You know he's going to give a slanted pan of the codex after that because he's already set himself as opposed to the group that has concerns about the codex.

I dunno, though, the half-dozen Dark Eldar players I know are all extremely upset about the codex and the fact that the only decent thing about it is the Coven supplement and Eldar ally synergy.

The sky actually did fall with this codex. Entire factions hard-counter the Dark Eldar into complete uselessness now. Salamanders, for example, obliterate Dark Eldar with their flamer abundance and rerolls, ignoring cover saves (which are the only saves that Dark Eldar have left, really). Tau, Eldar, and Imperial Guard with their abundance of cover and jink-negating firepower can obliterate a fleet of raiders in a turn or two. Blood Angels with Baal Predators equipped with flamers and Hellstorm cannons will wreck anything a Dark Eldar player can field, and a single Sanguinary Guard can beat a kitted out Archon to death with no problems now. A Blood Angel player drop podding some Furiosos equipped with heavy flamers can wreck any and all units that a Dark Eldar player could field, and the Dark Eldar don't have the kind of firepower (and staying power) necessary to deal with the sheer threat saturation of multiple dreadnoughts and tanks anymore. I guess Dark Eldar could deal with Orks and Tyranids effectively (assuming you picked up a Void Raven), but that's about it. Possibly Demons, too, since they have trouble with vehicles and weak saves against massed Poisoned shooting. But all of the Marine factions, Eldar, Tau, and IG are in a different weight class entirely. The jury's out on Necrons, nobody around here's played them with the new book yet, but I'm inclined to say they're probably capable of outshooting Dark Eldar and they're much tougher to boot.

The design team took away the 'cannon' part of Glass Cannon, and now the Dark Eldar are just glass with very little left to compensate for it offensively. Almost all veteran Dark Eldar players can see that just by looking at the changes to the codex. Every Dark Eldar player I know that isn't playing Covens has shelved his army after playing a few games with the new book to try it out.

Translation: He isn't going to agree with my pre-determined opinions of the codex therefore he is biased.

Whatever.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

To be honest if somebody doesnt mention any nerfs, only highlights minor buffs and even tries to highlight the missing LoW Slot as "special" you can safely say this opinion is biased.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    This is wrong. Its not "in line". Its below.
    Every Codex got LoW, Ground AA and one or more new units. Thats the bare minimum every 7th codex received (and will continue to receive). DE did not. They are not "in line".
    Well you have to admit the Dark kin buff their craftworld cousins nicely so they don't really need a stand alone book.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Which is exactly the reason why "Dark Eldar - a Codex: Eldar Supplement" is a piece of ****.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast