BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Gutrot Spume and monstrous infantry rule question

Ordinary infantry requires 5 models per rank.
    Gutrot has a 40 mm base.
    Gutrot in a unit with 20mm bases will take the spot of exactly 4 models, meaning the first two rows will only need 3 other infantry models per row to fill their ranks.

Monstrous infantry however require 3 models per rank.
    Gutrot has the same base size as, for example, a chaos troll.

In a unit of 5 trolls and Gutrot, with Gutrot in the first row, do you 2 ranks? Because you don't actually have 3 monstrous infantry in the first rank, you have two monstrous infantry and an infantry, who happens to be on a monstrous infantry sized base. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how the rules handle this strange situation.

this had me a little puzzeled too, on pg 98 of the rulebook it details characters with different sized bases (the only even vaugly relivant rules) about half way down it says;

"if your character(s) fit into the unit [due to having a base size that has the same footprint], work out the ranks (and therefore the rank bonus) as if the space was filled with rank and file troops"

Its not exactly the rule for this situation, however Gutrot does have the same footprint as a troll (40mm base) so it would seem reasonable to apply the above rule and say that we work out ranks based on if that 40mm base was rank and file troops ~ so Monstrous Infantry. It could certainly be argued otherwise as we all know wargammers are keen to argue over minor points.

I'll be honest I am not too impressed by the rules design of the new blightkings and Gutrot I suspect that they where originally on 25mm bases till someone couldn't get them to rank up for their photo as there is a lot of empty space on their bases (and if I am being cynical the increase to 3 wounds without the proper points increase).

Well, dude isn't Monstrous Infantry. Just big Infantry.

Otherwise, you're correct. If he takes the space of four spods, he counts as four spods for ranks and that.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Reldane View Post
    "if your character(s) fit into the unit [due to having a base size that has the same footprint], work out the ranks (and therefore the rank bonus) as if the space was filled with rank and file troops"

Its not exactly the rule for this situation...
    The rule seems to apply quite clearly to this situation. As you say, count his space as if it were filled by rank and file models (i.e. one Troll).

the poorly thought out part is that Warriors, Deamons and the bigger Gor's are all on 25mm bases so Gutrot has to stand at the end and can't use make way due to having a differnt footprint. in fact if you don't field him in the unit of Blightking's all kinds of complications come up

Quote Originally Posted by Reldane View Post
    the poorly thought out part is that Warriors, Deamons and the bigger Gor's are all on 25mm bases so Gutrot has to stand at the end and can't use make way due to having a differnt footprint. in fact if you don't field him in the unit of Blightking's all kinds of complications come up
    For giggles you could field him in a unit of Ungors, who share his base size. Start the game by asking "this large area of water in the middle of the board is impassible terrain, right?". Then proceed to park Gutrot in there with his Ungors and some wizards and shoot away from your can't-ever-be-charged-by-anybody-but-another-Gutrot position.

Chapter-Master

Gutrot is not monstrous infantry, so he does not count for the monstrous ranks special rule. If you read that on p81 it explicitly says that it applies only to units composed 'solely of monstrous infantry'. There is nothing in the characters section which supersedes this rule. You'd certainly need three trolls to benefit from that rule and I'd be inclined to say that based on the wording of the monstrous ranks rule, any non-MI that joins an MI unit negates that rule altogether.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD