BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Adding ribbons to rulebooks and codexes!

My project last night was adding bookmark ribbons to books that didn't have any before:

It was pretty simple to do, I put details on my blog [url]http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/[/url] but I've put them below as well:

1. get a spool of ribbon from a craft store, ideally 6mm for normal codexes but I could only find 9mm ribbon. I got four different colors to match the look and style of 40K but you can get sparkly white if you want!
    2. measure out about 40cm or 15 inches and cut the ribbons at an angle – the angle lets you get the tip of the ribbon in the binding and also looks nice at the other end. Cut as many ribbons as you have books. I had 7 books to do and have LOTS of leftover ribbon left, so you could do your whole collection if you want, probably!
    3. I use a glue called Goop to glue the first ribbon in – you can use Shoe Goo (look online or in a skater/bmx shop). I’m not sure how strong tacky/PVA glue is but it could work. Goop and Shoe Goo are really strong glues, and can attach anything to anything, so it’s perfect to attach the first ribbon. To stuff the ribbon in, use a wooden coffee stirrer to push the tip of the ribbon into the spine of the book, behind the fabric & glue bit where the pages are actually attached together. Then press firmly on the back side of the ribbon to smoosh the glue in. Like I said above, 6mm is the better width for a normal codex but the 9mm width is fine too, just try to fold the ribbon so the curved bit faces the outside of the book, it’ll just look neater.
    4. With the other ribbons, I used fabric glue to attach them in the same way, but you can try tacky PVA glue and see how strong that is. With the ribbons in place you should be able to pull the ribbon and open the book with just the ribbon, so it needs to be glued in nicely!
    5. I glued in the black ribbon last on most of my books so the books look nice and consistent (grimdark!). The ribbon also helps pull my hardcover 7th edition book out of the slipcase nicely!

If you do this, post pictures of your books here!
    painting blog: TinyPlasticSpacemen.com
    armies: Chaos Space Marine, Dark Eldar & Tyranids plus Eldar & Chaos Daemon allies

Chapter-Master

I've been doing something similar - albeit in the digital way.

The ePub files you get from GW are terribly disorganized. You have to flip between 3 different pages in the document in order to find a unit's rules and costs. Fortunately editing ePubs is VERY easy - so I've been doing a bit of work trimming out all of the fluff, re-oganizing the units' entries so all of their wargear, wargear rules, special rules, weapon profiles and all the costs are on a single page. Then I bookmark it, and upload it to my Google Play Books space so all the bookmarks are voice-indexed. When I need to get any information for a unit, all I do is whip out my phone or tablet, hit the power button and say "Ok Google, show me codex Eldar Swooping Hawks" and bam, it opens the book and takes me right to the page that has everything I could need for the swooping hawks unit.

After I do the same thing for the GK book, I'm going to tackle the rulebook. That will be quite challenging.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

OK, that voice search option is pretty awesome! and I didn't know/forgot you can upload books to Google Play Books!
    painting blog: TinyPlasticSpacemen.com
    armies: Chaos Space Marine, Dark Eldar & Tyranids plus Eldar & Chaos Daemon allies

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Then I bookmark it, and upload it to my Google Play Books space so all the bookmarks are voice-indexed. When I need to get any information for a unit, all I do is whip out my phone or tablet, hit the power button and say "Ok Google, show me codex Eldar Swooping Hawks" and bam, it opens the book and takes me right to the page that has everything I could need for the swooping hawks unit..
    Mind blown. Now I know what I'm doing while the in-laws visit this weekend.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by krushgroove View Post
    OK, that voice search option is pretty awesome! and I didn't know/forgot you can upload books to Google Play Books!
    [url]https://play.google.com/books[/url]

Upper right hand corner.. "upload".

Mind blown. Now I know what I'm doing while the in-laws visit this weekend.
    Took me a while to do Eldar. Good luck.

Make sure you have play books enabled in Google Search settings.

Note: Apologies to Apple lemmings, I don't believe you can do this.
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 10-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Librarian

I started doing this earlier this year too, with the new hardbooks its real easy they all have that binding gap.

I originally picked a sort of standard set of colors for all my books but eventually sort of decided on specific colors, bright greens for nids, blues for eldar. Glad im not the only one who thought of this

[url]http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/574867.pageI[/url]