BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default FW Leman Russ Conqueror

I'm currently working on yet another Guard Armored Regiment (Friesland 11th Hussars, The Furies). As this regiment is supposed to be a fast moving cavalry type I was thinking of making two of the squadrons LR Conquerors from Forge World. They're not quite as punchy as a regular Russ but are more mobile since the main gun is a Heavy not Ordnance. My plan for using them is either to roll with the troops in the Chimeras or flank attack if I get that Warlord Trait.

Has anyone used these things since the update? Are they any good? Or would other LR variants work better as a cavalry tank?

I'd highly recommend against it- while the Conquerer's main gun isn't Ordinance, it also doesn't have any kind of supporting rule to increase its ability to shoot, so if you move 6", you're still firing snap shots with everything but the main gun . . . and it's the same points as a standard Leman Russ. I might say look at using a few Taurox Primes as fire support; they're not as well armoured as the Russ, certainly, but they can get a pretty decent punch for just over half the points of the Conquerer.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Not sure about the Taurox... they go down pretty easy for the PV.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

The main advantage of the Conqueror is that it doesn't have the heavy vehicle type, so you can move both 12" and flat out with it. Generally speaking though, this probably isn't that useful, although you could use it to rapidly move a fairly hard hitting vehicle up a flank to start hitting some side armour or get round cover with that S8 gun. I certainly wouldn't bother with sponsons though, as you probably won't be using them. Is also worth remembering that if you take them as part of Codex: AM they are pretty cheap, around the same cost as an Eradicator if I remember correctly.

Their selling point is their mobility, if you are not using it, there are better choices. The only except is if they are part of an Armoured Battlegroup list, they have access to some interesting alternative shells when used by Commanders, and they make a great Commander, because they can benefit from all the Warlord traits IIRC.
    Last edited by Haighus; 10-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Brother-Captain

All heavy tanks (of which the Conqueror is one) are not allowed to move Flat Out. Also, for the purposes of firing weapon, the tank is always treated as having remained stationary, so moving at Combat Speed or Cruising Speed doesn't matter.

The only thing that can change the BS is if it has a Ordnance main gun that causes any secondaries to be fired at BS1 -- retarded as all hell, but they felt that they had to do something.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    I'd highly recommend against it- while the Conquerer's main gun isn't Ordinance, it also doesn't have any kind of supporting rule to increase its ability to shoot, so if you move 6", you're still firing snap shots with everything but the main gun . . . and it's the same points as a standard Leman Russ. I might say look at using a few Taurox Primes as fire support; they're not as well armoured as the Russ, certainly, but they can get a pretty decent punch for just over half the points of the Conquerer.
    Well damn, I didn't realize the stupid thing isn't a Heavy tank like all other LR variants. That does make it pretty much useless for what I want to use them for. Dissapointing!

Guess it's back to regular Leman Russ' and maybe Exterminators for my mobile(ish) force.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Well damn, I didn't realize the stupid thing isn't a Heavy tank like all other LR variants. That does make it pretty much useless for what I want to use them for. Dissapointing!

Guess it's back to regular Leman Russ' and maybe Exterminators for my mobile(ish) force.
    It was updated in an FAQ, it is a Heavy Tank.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

In IA1 2nd Ed, the Conqueror is not heavy, that is how FW has represented it's increased mobility since the 5th Ed IG codex came out (and they got round to updating the FW IG units)- the Conqueror has never had Lumbering Behemoth either. I was wrong about the points though, I didn't realise they were normal Russ price. They do come with a co-ax weapon that still has the benefits of being a co-ax though, which is nice. Need to be stationary to really make advantage of it unfortunately.
    Last edited by Haighus; 10-16-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Brother-Captain

I've sent an inquiry into FW to get a clear answer. They were updated at one point to say "Hvy Tk" for unit type -- even the Conqueror.

When did you see the FAQ? I've never seen it listed as heavy. That to me looks more like a copy-paste oversight than anything. If there is a more recent FAQ than IAII 2nd Ed, I will happily update the rules I have in my head though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast