BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

All it really shows is US IP law is about one step above China's...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Well, what they have on their site now is stuff that's made to be added to GW kits, mostly, with maybe a handful of exceptions that are honestly pretty moot. They at least are outright saying that they're meant to be used with GW kits and include all the legal disclaimers at the bottom of the website.

Meanwhile, there are multiple other companies making similar bits or whole models - seriously, Kromlech models could replace most of the Orks in an army entirely (and look superior, IMO, but then, they match the Blood Axe aesthetic, so I'm biased by my choice of clan). If GW wanted to push and try to completely obliterate CH's ability to sell such bits, then they'd also have to follow up with taking all those other companies to court, and that would be a disaster for them. Forget PR, they wouldn't be able to afford the legal fees even.

We still don't know what the results of the settlement were. There might be something in there where CH sends GW a cut of their sales. Heck, I'm surprised GW hasn't tried to set up a deal with some of the companies out there to "officially license" bits and make a cut off of those sales, which then benefits everyone (the sellers look more "legit" and GW makes some money they didn't have while doing nothing).

Chapter-Master

iirc someone said they're quite strict with licensing the last time a 40k hollywood film was mentioned so who knows?

Chapter-Master

Not sure on the details of the law but from what I understand it is ok to make something that 'complements' someones IP but not ok to completely rip it off. It's an industry spanning thought and compared to the other giant corporations that are always vying for position GW & CH are two kids scrapping in the schoolyard.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Yeah it's not quite apple/samsung with its three verdicts

Chapter-Master

Yeah it's not quite apple/samsung with its three verdicts
    No doubt! Following these megacorp cases shows how insane things can really get!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

On the bright side, if you do dislike Chapterhouse, they are well on the way out the door. Since their profit is based on selling product for use with Games Workshop models, they can only do a booming business as long as Games Workshop is growing. Otherwise it is kind of like hitching your wagon to an old, sick nag. I trust you see my point? There has to be enough volume of players (and you will note I say PLAYERS) looking for custom, original material. Pure collectors who just want to collect, assemble, and paint GW product don't have much use for after market product. Thus, as GW cuts off its nose to spite its face, smaller companies who cater to that nose will take a hit.

Chapter-Master

See I would have thought players would have been their smallest demographic as they just need an army to field, and conversion parts that require a base unit are frivolous extras. It's collectors and more important modellers/painters that you need?

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    On the bright side, if you do dislike Chapterhouse, they are well on the way out the door. Since their profit is based on selling product for use with Games Workshop models, they can only do a booming business as long as Games Workshop is growing. Otherwise it is kind of like hitching your wagon to an old, sick nag. I trust you see my point? There has to be enough volume of players (and you will note I say PLAYERS) looking for custom, original material. Pure collectors who just want to collect, assemble, and paint GW product don't have much use for after market product. Thus, as GW cuts off its nose to spite its face, smaller companies who cater to that nose will take a hit.
    This is utter nonsense that completly misses the points of both businesses.

After market components are not for "players" unless they're cheap weapon swaps (which GW are better at ensuring you have an ample supply of these day), otherwise they're for collectors who want a unique look.

Most "players" want to play a game, after market kits don't do anything for that.

In your rush to make a snide comment about GW, again, you've accidentally made no sense what so ever, rather than the half-nonsense you normally speak.

See I would have thought players would have been their smallest demographic as they just need an army to field, and conversion parts that require a base unit are frivolous extras. It's collectors and more important modellers/painters that you need?
    Not at all, at least not in my experience here in the States. Contrary to the popular myth (or perhaps it is just a cultural difference) Players, as opposed to Hobbyists or whatever you want to call them, do take some pride in how their armies look. In some cases it is monetary, as in they are doing the best they can with the parts they can aquire. In some cases it is just wanting to look different. Players are less sentimental and not driven to have only GW product because it is about the game to them, not the name brand. For some it is a bit of both. A purist does conversions but they attempt to use as pure GW product for those conversions as possible. Players use whatever works.

After market product like Chapterhouse caters to those who just want to have unique armies when they play. The hobby for them isn't collecting Games Workshop product (although I have a hard time believing that is the hobby for anyone no matter what GW says in court). For example, I am not a purist. I played the game for the sake of the game. That doesn't mean I didn't want my army to look good. In fact, looking good and original was all that mattered to me. I didn't give a fig about where I got my bits from. I purchased jump packs from Chapterhouse when they were offered because I wanted Jump Packs that looked like that (Hersey era) for my CSM. More importantly, the price point was right. I then magnetized them as I did with all my backpacks so I could make jump troops out of whatever style of CSM I wanted. Some of this was monetary and some of it was just wanting the look.

A guy I know also wanted Heresy era jump packs but he waited and waited and waited until they were eventually released. They did show up (as we all know) and he paid a premium for them. He really enjoyed putting it together, painting them, and so on. I don't think he has used them on the table yet. My point being is there are far more people in the US like me than him.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 11-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast