BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Not sure why you think these guys are leeches. GWs IP has so many holes in it they are filling the gaps.
    GW of course has the right, and the legal obligation, to defend its IP, and their more recent tactic of removing codex entries that do not have models (or models that have been produced by 3rd parties in lieu of GW not making it) is clearly a way to plug the gaps.
    However, producing "daemons" should not be considered an IP infringement. I've not seen the models in question, but the generic nature of "daemon" makes it hard to claim IP.
    Daemons - instead of demons - may present an issue, depending on if GW managed to copyright that word for product purposes or not. It is still in the OED, but listed as an archaic spelling, so they may be able to.
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

Considering they used daemons spelling in an old doctor who with jon pertwee amongst other tv shows I dont think thats it unless gw is going to sue bbc is very doubtful

Daemon is actually a modern spelling of Dæmon, using the the old English character. You can no more copyright an existing work then you can the words Space Marine.

As it is, they have convinced a judge of something that has seized their assets. Usually involving not having payed the penalties already assigned by a judge in this case. As GW decided to appeal, this might have meant that they did not have to pay any penalties right away. GW likely has convinced a judge to seize their assets due to some legal perspective on that. It's likely an intimidation tactic, and may not hold up upon scrutiny. Which is why they are going to Chicago.

As it is, GW is pissed they lost the bulk of the main decision, so they are trying to run the company out of business. This is a very good way to do that.

Mmmmm.

Speculation!

Soon to be repeated as fact all over the interwebs!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Most likely there is more then meets the eye here for the word daemon its most likely justified by its spelling most IP if they have a copyright protection on them must be some what not generic the word demon and Dæmon are too generic but the word daemon is not used anywhere but in GW IP product line in terms its not a real word but sounds or shows a similarity to demon or Dæmon they have legal right to copyright that word as long as it does not infringe on the other too words being if they are a product under a copyright protection.

This sort of stuff happens all the time because at the end of the day if a busyness works for its money and finds a company mooching of them they will always take action because by a busyness standpoint they are taking there profits welcome to the corporate world where everyone sceaws each other over.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Most likely there is more then meets the eye here for the word daemon its most likely justified by its spelling most IP if they have a copyright protection on them must be some what not generic the word demon and Dæmon are too generic but the word daemon is not used anywhere but in GW IP product line in terms its not a real word but sounds or shows a similarity to demon or Dæmon they have legal right to copyright that word as long as it does not infringe on the other too words being if they are a product under a copyright protection.
    Incorrect. I have multiple old alchemy books that use the spelling 'daemon'. It has also been used in many games over the years. GW cannot claim it belongs to them.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Day 1: 'Chapterhouse has its assets frozen'
    Day 3: 'GW had Chapterhouse's assets seized!'
    Day 15: 'GW HAD CHAPTERHOUSE ARRESTED AND SENT TO THE SPICE MINES OF KESSEL!'
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

But could this asset freeze put CH out of business eventually ? If they are owing money elsewhere but can not pay it, how long before they are declared bankrupt by creditors.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. But I will say that the times CH have posted here on BoLs they seemed reasonable enough. The fact they were willing to interact with the fan base using social media is something GW could learn from.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I've noting against CHS really, I'm just exaggerating the reaction to the news for humorous effect. Are there protections against bankruptcy if you've had assets frozen for Reasons?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've noting against CHS really, I'm just exaggerating the reaction to the news for humorous effect. Are there protections against bankruptcy if you've had assets frozen for Reasons?
    One would expect so?

After all, the money is there, just can't be issued etc. Which is different to not being willing to pay.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast