BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    This is utter nonsense that completly misses the points of both businesses.
    If you say so. So far, my "utter nonsense" has been fairly accurate in playing out. It could also be that I understand the demographics of the American market as opposed to the other markets to whom Games Workshop sells product. I am biased of course, but I don't think I'm missing the point. I think I'm making a point.

After market components are not for "players" unless they're cheap weapon swaps (which GW are better at ensuring you have an ample supply of these day), otherwise they're for collectors who want a unique look.
    Again, you are assuming that Players aren't interested in good looking armies. That is a hell of an assumption to make. It is your bias, of course, and I won't try to talk you out of it. Monetary reasons are certainly a factor and being able to sell certain things that people want at a better price point is the number one reason people go to after market products, but a close second is uniqueness. Consider cars. Many of those after market products are for making a car unique and interesting looking.

Most "players" want to play a game, after market kits don't do anything for that.
    Of coure they do. Playing the game, even for competitive players, is never purely academic. It is an escape. People playing Necrons want something with a Necron flair when they field an Aegis Defense line. CSM players like myself go to great lengths to alter existing Aegis materials to be appropriate. Players don't just want to beat you; they want to beat you with style. I could point out that the most successful, competitive players also have wicked good looking armies. Goatboy comes to mind.

In your rush to make a snide comment about GW, again, you've accidentally made no sense what so ever, rather than the half-nonsense you normally speak.
    A snide comment would imply I'm being nasty indirectly. I've never been indirect in my commentary about Games Workshop.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    After market components are not for "players" unless they're cheap weapon swaps (which GW are better at ensuring you have an ample supply of these day), otherwise they're for collectors who want a unique look. Most "players" want to play a game, after market kits don't do anything for that.
    I'm a hobby extremist. Hell, at this point I may even be 'the' extremist that other extremists are measured against... I see a large mixture of people buying from the after market and a large number of them in this area are what I class as 'players'. They want their stuff to be different and they want variety in their army but they lack the time, skill and/or force of will to make it happen on their own. Modeler's will buy after market but are just as likely to make their own truly unique parts to guarantee their stuff is different... and collector's tend to be focused on the pure models over the cheaper (and not always up to par) after market stuff. So it's a mixed bag but in no world does the player group exiting the GW hobby benefit anyone.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I'm a hobby extremist. Hell, at this point I may even be 'the' extremist that other extremists are measured against... I see a large mixture of people buying from the after market and a large number of them in this area are what I class as 'players'. They want their stuff to be different and they want variety in their army but they lack the time, skill and/or force of will to make it happen on their own. Modeler's will buy after market but are just as likely to make their own truly unique parts to guarantee their stuff is different... and collector's tend to be focused on the pure models over the cheaper (and not always up to par) after market stuff. So it's a mixed bag but in no world does the player group exiting the GW hobby benefit anyone.
    You make an excellent point here that I missed. Many Players want unique but lack the skill in conversions to do them personally. It is a nice option to be able to puchase one. Of course, the same is true for being able to purchase painted armies. I think this myth that Players don't care how their armies look originated from the following:

1. Hobbyists/Purists/Extremists will always have the best looking armies because it is the thing they care about most. Who wouldn't suffer by comparison to these guys and gals?

2. New people to the hobby/game often don't have the skills to paint or convert yet. They are NEW after all and those skills must be acquired. They don't come natural. Thus, new people to the hobby are playing the game far faster than they are able to get their armies ready. This leads some to inaccurately believe that players don't care about how their armies look. People making this assumption are ignoring context.

3. In new crops of people joining they hobby, you will always find the largest concentrations of immature players. Over time these people will be weeded out, ignored, or go away on their own. However, since they are easiest to spot and most numerous to the people just joining in, they often come across as Players (since they also have not had time to learn the skills of painting, converting, etc.). Again, context is ignored and people lump all Players in with these guys.

Serious Players or Hobbyists alike want their armies to look good. It is often for very different reasons, and there is always some overlap too. I will admit to some of the shallow Player reasons. We play for the game. It is a sport. We enjoy winning. We enjoy feeling good about ourselves and looking good is part of it. The sin of Pride. Serious, competitive gamers who stick go the Red Baron route eventually. It is almost unavoidable. They end up with awesome armies whether they eventually acquire the skills, pay someone else to do it, or buy product already perfected. I'm pretty sure that all those businesses who make their coin selling well-painted armies have to have CUSTOMERS to stay in business. Clearly they aren't selling to the Hobbyist who enjoy doing that themselves. So the only group left for them to be selling to is Players.

Brother-Captain

Don't know if it is in anyway related, but yoymart.com is throwing a DNS error, effectively unreachable through my ISP.

Anyone else seeing this error?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Don't know if it is in anyway related, but yoymart.com is throwing a DNS error, effectively unreachable through my ISP.

Anyone else seeing this error?
    They have a note on their FB page saying their website is down. No explanation as to why.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    They have a note on their FB page saying their website is down. No explanation as to why.
    This is what is on their Facebook page currently:

"Dear friend, sorry to tell you that our website is down. any question, please contact [email][email protected][/email]"

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617