BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Just remember that CHS chose not to do the Maxmini, Kromlech, Victoria miniatures route. They chose to flaunt GW IP. And then basically told GW to shove it. I remember clearly testimony from a sculptor who was asked if CHS needed to send him a copy of HH - Visions - to crib from for the jet bikes. He said no, he already had one.

Sympathy is minimum. Especially with the amount of people crowing about how CHS won this big victory against 'THE MAN'. I don't rate any endeavour as a victory if you can't afford to buy Andrex for the company bogs, cos the Beak has ordered your assets frozen.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I have absolutely minimal sympathy for Chapterhouse. Their initial arguments sounded just like a WAAC rules lawyer, and just seemed spectacularly naive about the way the courts work. I think they went into the fight expecting a quick and easy victory. Turns out legal battles aren't like a wargame, because they're slow. Really, unbelievably, grindingly slow. And even if Chapterhouse are found to be right, there's a good chance the fight will have destroyed them as a company.

All this because of what can only be called hubris. It's like, yeah, you may be right: do you actually want to get into a serious fight you don't need to, and one that will drag on for nearly half a decade? For no real gain? Because we all know Kromlech makes Chaos Marine parts and Ork parts. We know. They don't need to call them their actual GW names. It's obvious. And if GW tried taking them to court, the ground is so much more uncertain.

Chapterhouse were arrogant and they were foolish. They forgot, or chose to ignore, that the way the world works is simple. The big guy wins, end of story. The reason we like those stories where the little guy triumphs? Because it gives us hope that the world might be fair. But it's not. The big guy wins 99% of his fights. GW is the big guy. They're going to win.

And when they do go down, it won't be because of Chapterhouse, it'll be because of GW making mistakes or because GW didn't adapt their business to a changing market. 3D printers maybe, or computer games, or the simple fact that GWs current 'luxury good' busines splan means that in ten years there won't be any new adults with nostalgia for GW products because they couldn't afford them during the critical early teenage years. Chapterhouse will be an interesting legal footnote, but that's all.

I really hope the people behind it think it was worth it. I suspect that at the moment, they are regretting their decision to pick a fight. I know I'd be absolutely terrified of losing everything in the name of a cause that no-one cared about and that doesn't really matter in the long run.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Bleak but spot on.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Yup.

And people need to realise the driving force behind GW's case.

It's not 'bully boy' tactics. It's not 'the big man picking on the little man'. It's far more based in necessity. CH attempted to use another company's IP to peddle their own ware. When this happens, the legitimate owner of the IP has to fight for it.

Is it particularly nice that CH are being dragged over the coals? Nope. But this is what happens.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I'm with GW on this one.

still think a bunch of GW's internal actions since have been bad for the game though
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Yup.

And people need to realise the driving force behind GW's case.

It's not 'bully boy' tactics. It's not 'the big man picking on the little man'. It's far more based in necessity. CH attempted to use another company's IP to peddle their own ware. When this happens, the legitimate owner of the IP has to fight for it.

Is it particularly nice that CH are being dragged over the coals? Nope. But this is what happens.
    Indeed, can't blame GW for the system unfortunately!

I also find it hard to have much sympathy for CHS after their initial response regarding it all...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I'm with GW on this one.

still think a bunch of GW's internal actions since have been bad for the game though
    Have to agree that in this case GW has the moral high ground as Chapterhouse decided to walk right into GW's IP. Also think the way GW has decided to address this internally has been bad for the game.

Overall I still view GW's legal department through my "Spot the Space Marine" glasses... namely as a bunch of overzealous morons.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Have to agree that in this case GW has the moral high ground as Chapterhouse decided to walk right into GW's IP. Also think the way GW has decided to address this internally has been bad for the game.

Overall I still view GW's legal department through my "Spot the Space Marine" glasses... namely as a bunch of overzealous morons.
    Given the timing of that, I've often wondered if it was an action somehow linked to the CH case - perhaps an attempt to head off 'why are you only enforcing against us' type shenanigans.

Got no evidence either way like, just a pondering.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Given the timing of that, I've often wondered if it was an action somehow linked to the CH case - perhaps an attempt to head off 'why are you only enforcing against us' type shenanigans.

Got no evidence either way like, just a pondering.
    That would at least make sense. Hard to imagine a company would make such a maneuver simply to build badwill in the community.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Captain

Although since that author is pretty well known and liked in several online (non-war) gaming communities, I think GW shot themselves in the foot choosing her as their 'look, we're doing something!' target.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast