BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They are actually two different games. You can play the Horus Heresy, which is what people mean when they say "30K" in reference to the time setting and the rules, army lists, and scenarios as laid out in the Forgeworld Horus Heresy rule books. You can also decide to play "40k," normal Warhammer 40,000, using the rules as dictated in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook from Games Workshop. They are two distinct games, set within the same lore universe.

To use models and rules from 30k in 40k would be quite a bit much, since the rules and special rules for units in 30K are inherently stronger and more powerful than most basic rules in 40K.[/QUOTE]

People Saying that playing 40k and 30k are two different games don't seem to realise that that 30k USES 40k rules. While I agree that 30k armies are meant to play better against other 30k armies, there is no functional reason why 30k armies can't play against 40k armies either, just as long as you use the normal 40k force org charts for your 30k lists. When I eventually get my 30k list built up, I'm going to play it against other 40k lists.

On the main note of this topic, the tournament is supposed to be unbound right? So anything goes right? There is no offical ban list in this tournament right? On that point alone there is no reason why you can't Ferrus Manus and his Iron Hands to it.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTycho View Post
    On the main note of this topic, the tournament is supposed to be unbound right? So anything goes right? There is no offical ban list in this tournament right? On that point alone there is no reason why you can't Ferrus Manus and his Iron Hands to it.
    So I can bring my infinity models and shoot you in ARO?

No, unbound does not mean anything goes (it means you are unconstrained by detachments) and I can more than understand an unwillingness to face primarchs in a 40k game.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

Ask the event organizer if it's OK to bring a 30K Primarch to the game. If he/she says no, then it's no, and if it's yes, then it's yes. Getting our opinions on here won't validate that process -- we can only give you our own personal opinion.

And *that* has already been duly expressed.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

With regard to 30k the points costs aren't in line with 40k there are different rules and its a different game.

Unound for campaigns and such is fine letting it loose on a competition is a complete waste of time, 40k isn't that balanced as it is.

You can guarantee some nub with a bottomless pocket will turn up with 5 B'Elakor's or something equally as stupid

GW's interpretation of unbound - Release the mind from the constraints of force org to enrich your games

Local Nub's interpretation - How many completely OP units can I get into the points so I can wipe my opponent out in 1 turn
    Last edited by SnakeChisler; 10-21-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Really? Do you own the HH books? Looking at them it appears the points for pretty much every vehicle plus their rules are identical to my IA versions.
    Hmm. How strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Really? Do you own the HH books? Looking at them it appears the points for pretty much every vehicle plus their rules are identical to my IA versions.
    Hmm. How strange.
    The FAQ says the two games aren't balanced against one another.

Chaplain

I understand Gryphons wish to try out his model and its rule set in a competative environment, but will it mesh fairly with the 40k scenario?

Will there be enough of a threat to the model in the game or will it simply stride through the battle field inviolate & invulnerable? And will it's points cost reflect the 40k universe. For example if the primarch is to Khaine as Khaine is to a Guardsman but the primarch is 60 points cheaper than Khaine, then there is a serious imbalance.

Also, as has been pointed out, unbound does not mean anything goes. Otherwise you might see a Challenger MK II with its computerised sights, stab, sabot discarding AP shells and high powered engine punch holes in the 40k leviathans while moving flat out. Or watch out for those Klingon War Birds, cloaked and shielded they can make a mess.

I'm sorry that last bit is over the top, but it is the same kind of thing, a unit from another rule set being introduced into this one. The difference is more radical but the act is the same.

Ultimately though, if the game organiser allows it, then fly, be free & enjoy.

Chaplain

Here's what the Horus Heresy FAQ has to say about the issue:

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/B/Betrayal_FAQ_Errata_v.2.pdf[/url]

Q: Are the armies and units in the Horus Heresy books by Forge World meant to be used in
    games against regular Codex armies, such as say Grey Knights or Orks?

A: While Forge World’s on-going range of Horus Heresy books and their game content are all
    designed to use and be compatible with the Warhammer 40,000 rules, they have been fine-tuned and
    focused on playing battles in the milieu of the Horus Heresy rather than in conjunction with the
    Codexes representing warfare in the 41st Millennium, and this will remain the case.

Designer’s Note: This means that while you are, of course, free to have fun and play games against
    your friends using any forces you like, and Horus Heresy forces will be broadly ‘a fair fight’ with
    Codex forces of the same scale, certain rules anomalies and inconsistencies may be thrown up that
    you have to deal with, although these should not seriously affect the game in most cases. (For
    example, certain units, such as those with the Stubborn special rule are at a premium costing in
    Horus Heresy armies over their regular Codex counterparts, owing to the results of play testing
    within their own sphere.)

In terms of using Lords of War and the Primarchs, however, these are definitely not intended to be
    used in standard Warhammer 40,000 games, but only in games where both sides use the Age of
    Darkness Force Organisation chart, and the specific provisions within, and in games of 2,000 points
    or greater.

Designer’s Note: So if, for example, you wanted to play a battle representing a narrative where the
    Sons of Horus Legion fought Orks or Eldar during the Great Crusade, you could quite easily use
    those xenos forces’ Warhammer 40,000 Codexes (possibly house-ruled to accommodate larger
    squads) to proxy for their Heresy-era counterparts. In this case, however, both sides should be using
    the Age of Darkness Force Organisation chart, with the army’s own Apocalypse level units and flyers
    available as Lords of War entries following the guidelines found on page 184 of Betrayal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12