BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unbound/Broken Models

It seems there is a discussion in my meta regarding Unbound models. While the upcoming unbound tournament allows for "anything" technically. It would seem that many are still up in arms over allowing 30k models, including Primarchs. While I can understand the fundamentals, i'ts a 40k game not a 30k game, Unbound could be one of the few opportunities to play my Primarch since no one around plays 30k. I am, in a round about way, being accused of trying to find an end-all, be-all model/unit to win games when, in reality, I am just wanting to be competitive. Considering the venue of the tournament is unbound, that also entails unlimited cheese. I don't have any way of creating a cheese list, and I don't have a ton of models to choose form to use.
    I play Iron Hands and just have a handful of most unit types. I was wondering: Should I just chalk it up to player paranoia and play anyway. Not bother because I don't have a ton of models to compete with? It has been my estimation that the game is a shooting game so the more models and shots you have the better. Any thoughts or opinions. I just want to get an idea of what the rest of the community thinks, since GW can't make a balanced game and everyone else seems way too particular about certain models units. Thanks for your time.

Gryphon

Brother-Captain

If you're playing a 40K Unbound tournament, then use 40K models. Primarchs are within the demesne of 30k, not 40k. If you own the primarchs and the books as well, then you should know just how durable and dangerous those characters are.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Scout

Katharon won't like this, but to be honest, it simply doesn't matter.

If you want to play a primarch in your games, why not. They're beautiful models, with amazing rules.

That's the point of an unbound game. To field what you want to, not what your opponent wants you to. Who cares if it's 30K or 40K. Field Ferrus Manus alongside two knights and a Voidraven. Just enjoy the game. That's all that matters.

It does raise an issue that concerns me somewhat: 40K is a game. There's no 30K and 40K, it's just a game. Play what you like, make friends over the gaming table. Heck, have a blast. Kick your shoes off. Have fun.

It's a *game*.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles15 View Post
    Katharon won't like this, but to be honest, it simply doesn't matter.

If you want to play a primarch in your games, why not. They're beautiful models, with amazing rules.

That's the point of an unbound game. To field what you want to, not what your opponent wants you to. Who cares if it's 30K or 40K. Field Ferrus Manus alongside two knights and a Voidraven. Just enjoy the game. That's all that matters.

It does raise an issue that concerns me somewhat: 40K is a game. There's no 30K and 40K, it's just a game. Play what you like, make friends over the gaming table. Heck, have a blast. Kick your shoes off. Have fun.

It's a *game*.
    EXACTLY. See this guy is someone I can like in this cesspit of hate that's called BoLS.

As the game takes two to play and your opponents should also "have fun" in a "game" you might reconsider your egocentic view where all others just exist to make your experience great no matter how they feel about the issue?

My 2 penneth is that it's up to the Tournament Organiser, if s/he allows it then it's fine, if not proxy the mini as a normal Chapter Master or whatever.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    As the game takes two to play and your opponents should also "have fun" in a "game" you might reconsider your egocentic view where all others just exist to make your experience great no matter how they feel about the issue?
    This is the point I was driving my comment toward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles15 View Post
    It does raise an issue that concerns me somewhat: 40K is a game. There's no 30K and 40K, it's just a game.
    They are actually two different games. You can play the Horus Heresy, which is what people mean when they say "30K" in reference to the time setting and the rules, army lists, and scenarios as laid out in the Forgeworld Horus Heresy rule books. You can also decide to play "40k," normal Warhammer 40,000, using the rules as dictated in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook from Games Workshop. They are two distinct games, set within the same lore universe.

To use models and rules from 30k in 40k would be quite a bit much, since the rules and special rules for units in 30K are inherently stronger and more powerful than most basic rules in 40K.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Breaks down to Spirit of the Game - which is mutable.

If the tournament embraces a fully unbound, take what thou wilt approach - then everything is fair game.

If the tournament wants to issue specific, set army lists for each race - then that's what you stick to.

And everything in between. If in doubt, ask the TO if they're OK with it. But once the parameters are set, stay within them, and don't complain. After all, it's a single organised event, and ultimately it is not run for your gaming pleasure alone.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Thanks everyone. I understand those, who reason for 30k/40k to be seperate, but fail to understand why they're so against a single primarch when it is clear there are other models out there than can easily kill him (i.e. Wraith Knight, C'tan, etc) that exist in 40k. In casual games we in this area typically leave the cheese out. It's just funny that people are okay with some cheese and not others.

There's little that can easily kill a Primarch....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast