BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archon Weapons

Librarian

Default Archon Weapons

I have a question to pose to the community that is somewhere in between a rules, modeling, and tactics question so I'm goin to pose it here. Specifically, how can/should I arm my new Dark Eldar Archon?

Strict reading of the unit entry shows that he has a CC weapon and pistol and may replace his CC weapon with a Huskblade and his pistol with a Blaster or Blast pistol, he may also chose from the Melee Weapons list which replace his Melee weapon and this is where it gets murky. Strictly speaking if he takes a Huskblade he would have to replace it (the only available melee weapon) in order to take, say, an Agoniser, he can never have both. However, according to the entry in Force Requisition on the tablet codex he can take both. This might appear to be shaky ground at best given the wording of the rules but strictly speaking the Succubus official model with Aconite Glaive and Agoniser is illegal due to the exact same issues in her unit entry, and yet the model itself pretty clearly indicates what the intent was.

Having said all of this, my desire is to equip my Archon with both Agoniser and Huskblade, mostly because it would look cool with the crossed arms pose of the new model, replacing the model's pistol with the doubled over Agoniser from the Wych kit. The issue is a) is this legal? And b) is there any viable reason to do it? The menace of instant death from the Huskblade is frightening to almost anything short of Space Marine commanders (losing ap2 sucks), while the flat wound on a 4+ (or re-roll against t3) is a great utility ability against everything else. Given that I'm equipping him a Phantasm Grenade Launcher he won't be completely losing all ranged attacks (and how scary are pistols or a single blaster anyway?). My thought is that he could run around bullying infantry squads with Phantasm Launchers and challenging squad leaders to rack up Soul Trap strength.

So my question is threefold:
    1) can an Archon take both a Huskblade and an Agoniser?
    2) aesthetically, how would the pose come across?
    3) would it be effective at its intended purpose?
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

1) Barring an errata or FAQ, it would not be legal as his pistol is a ranged weapon, not a melee weapon. So you could only change get one or the other.

2) No idea, that I guess having both weapons in front of the guy would block view to him and thus look slightly daft.

3) Archons are decidedly 'meh' in combat at best. Granted, they have a 2++ with the Shadowfield, but one '1' and they are generally dead as S6 is not that hard to come by for any non-Eldar, Tau or Guard character and against those you will dominate anyway. Having no AP2 weapon and S3 makes them expensive for little to no output. The whole Phantasm Grenade/Archangel of Pain/etc. weaponry is rubbish, as Marines and fearless units are immune to it. And that's 75% of all armies.

I actually run mine with blaster and Armour of Misery to sit in a Venom and hand out Ld penalties, whilst taking potshots. This costs 90 points, gives you a free slot for another Venom and even another free slot for a Venom if you spend 10 points on a Lhamae.

1) Barring an errata or FAQ, it would not be legal as his pistol is a ranged weapon, not a melee weapon. So you could only change get one or the other.
    This is wrong.
    You could change the Huskblade for the melee CC weapon and the pistol for a Djin Blade (which is a CC weapon) and then proceed to change the Djin Blade for a Husk Blade
    This is atm also the only way to get the weapon combination that is sold by GW on the Succubus.

2) aesthetically, how would the pose come across?
    Depends on how you model it.
    3) would it be effective at its intended purpose?
    Depends on his support. In a unit of Sslyth or Grotesques he is quite durable and you can keep him cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    This is wrong.
    You could change the Huskblade for the melee CC weapon and the pistol for a Djin Blade (which is a CC weapon) and then proceed to change the Djin Blade for a Husk Blade
    This is atm also the only way to get the weapon combination that is sold by GW on the Succubus
    So you'd be willing to pay a 30 points surcharge to get an Agoniser? And technically the Djin Blade does not appear in the melee weapons section, but in the artefacts section, so people might object to it counting as a melee weapon when exchanging weapons.

Nobody said something about "willing". I just pointed out that it is not impossible.
    Technically the standard melee weapon also does not appear in the melee weapons section. By the same reasoning you could prevent any upgrade.
    Last edited by Charon; 10-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.

It is in the box on top of the melee weapon section in the wargear section.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tokunator View Post
    It is in the box on top of the melee weapon section in the wargear section.
    Melee weapons are not limited to weapons from the melee section....they are weapons with the melee weapon type.....
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Melee weapons are not limited to weapons from the melee section....they are weapons with the melee special rule.....
    Which technically includes pistols, what with them all counting as a close combat weapon.
    So does that mean the pistol can be exchanged too?
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Which technically includes pistols, what with them all counting as a close combat weapon.
    So does that mean the pistol can be exchanged too?
    No, pistols are only Melee weapons in CC, they have their own class and they are a pistol at all other times

A Pistol also counts as a close combat weapon in the Assault phase.
    Does list design and choice happen in the assault phase?

A pistol is weapon type PISTOL

A CCW is weapon MELEE.

See the difference?
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    pistols are only Melee weapons in CC
    Any melee weapon is only a Melee weapon in CC. This isn't DZC, it's not a shooting weapon with a range of 0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast