BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Slaanesh is arguably the WORST mark you could give them, completely useless in all combats against anything not I3/4/5, including any vehicles - expensive waste of points, unless your meta contains nothing but marines.

Just not as good as other options already elsewhere in the dex IMO

Mutilator pluses are : varied weapons, fear (wow!) and a single extra wound

Negatives vs similar (ie termie) : low LD 8, no guns whatsoever, can't run, get expensive if you try to protect them from instakill with MoN, max of 3, FAR LESS attacks than the termies, vulnerable to force weapons and s8-10, zero flexibility outside of cc in weapon loadout. Most importantly - no dedicated transport raider, so it costs you an elite and a HS choice cause anything other than a raider and they pretty much are not getting into CC. I NEVER have spare HS choices in any of my CSM lists, multiple packs of oblits / maulers are almost auto picks, and havocs and vindicators are occasional (rarely have slots spare!)

I'm not willing to pay 30% extra on top of terminators (which are still over costed at that price!) just so I get to pick a cc weapon. Bring terminators with a selection and use the other bodies as shields for the weapons you need to get into combat

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Venomlust View Post
    I thought the Dreadclaw would make great use of a 3 Mutilator squad + HQ, but of course it's only a dedicated transport for CSM/Chosen/dreadnoughts. *extremely loud, wet, obnoxious fart noise + thumbs down*
    It's also a FA slot, so yes you could do that
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Veteran-Sergeant

IMO they're butt ugly and so I wouldn't give them table space. Funnily enough I like obliterators and despite the similar aesthetic think they look a lot better.

In terms of function, as other have said, there's a lot better ways of getting the sorts of attacks they have onto the table.

Chapter-Master

I had a nasty surprise from them. Seem to remember 3 in a LR with a Sorcerer Lord. It was an all-tzeentch CSM army. The lord was popping out Iron Arm or whatever makes him toughness lots. To add insult to injury he gibbed my warlord with a force weapon and then turned into a DP. The mutilators by then were in my face in the back field, giving him sufficient VPs to ignore all the steaming piles of goo my heldrakes left in his lines.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

there is no such thing as a "sorcerer lord" anymore, the old 3 wound version is dead, only the 2 wound version exists...that being said, they can be hilariously brutal with iron arm and a force stave
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

I just remember a tzeentch idiot with at least T7 and a 4++ stomping around and turning into a DP.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    It's also a FA slot, so yes you could do that
    Yes, but I never would :P.

Obliterators are better because you get something for the points you paid for them. They are guaranteed to get off at least one round of fire before they are blasted off the table. They are just as easily blasted off the table as Mutilators, and require the same considerations to keep alive.

Obliterators are also better because they have capabilities in both the shooting and assault phases. Their guns are great against all targets and they rock powerfists with a fair number of attacks. They can threaten any target at any time.

Mutilators conceptually pose a question of risk vs. reward in that they're significantly better in close combat than obliterators and close combat has a bit more finality to it than shooting. Obliterators can plink away a few wounds here and there leaving the target unit still able to fire back, albeit at reduced capacity. Mutilators on the other hand functionally shut their target unit down once they reach close combat. The unit can't shoot while its fighting them and will either be wiped out or forced to flee eventually. (Barring a few exceptional units that can beat mutilators in close combat.)

Within the CSM army list there are several units that fill a similar role. This role being "tough, fighty, compact." These are obliterators, mutilators and terminators. They are tough because it takes an inordinate amount of anti-infantry fire to take them down, and they can even stand up to anti-tank weaponry. Fighty because they punch things in the face and compact because they have relatively small unit sizes (due to high cost.)

The other two units besides mutilators also fall into the "shooty" category in some fashion or another as well. The key differences being that obliterators are the shootiest but the least capable in close combat due to a lack of melee weapon options. (they're all unwieldy and so they can be taken advantage of by units with a larger volume of attacks and higher initiative.) Terminators are the most flexible but also the least dedicated of the three. You can tool them up for close combat but they'll never be as effective against as many targets as mutilators due to their static weapon loadouts. They're decently shooty but nowhere near as dangerous as obliterators. They can be equipped to do a little from column A and a little from column B, but they won't truly excel in either task. Also all of this flexibility comes at a substantial cost, making them a less bargain driven decision the more gear, marks and icons you throw on them. Mutilators lack any shooty capability whatsoever, but can kill anything in close combat at any given time. They can wade through hordes of orks with lightning claws, punch out high toughness targets with mauls or tear apart land raiders with chainfists. This would be a great ability if it could be employed reliably, alas it is very hard to do this against a canny opponent, especially one with interceptor weapons.

The internet darling applications for terminators and obliterators are pretty boring but seemingly effective. Obliterators are invariably Nurgle marked and come in pairs or single models, generally you see 2 units of 2 in competitive lists. They are then employed to eliminate specific targets the turn they arrive from deep strike and then stick around as long as they can being a general nuisance in the enemy's backfield. They are pretty great at this.

Terminators are less popular but are generally employed in minimum termicide units with combi-weapons. 3 guys with combi-meltas pop in behind your favorite vehicle and make modern art, then they run around trying to fight something while being shot to death. They are pretty good at this and can get lucky and go on a tear if your opponent doesn't devote enough firepower to eliminating them after they do their initial dirty work.

Mutilators don't have a standard configuration because the internet hates them. Were I to come up with a unit I'd think would have the highest chance of success it would probably be Nurgle marked units of 3 mutilators deep striking as close as daemonicly possible to something they want to kill. Preferably in conjunction with another unit lining up a charge against the same target that turn. The timing is nearly impossible to get right though since reinforcements arrive randomly and its unlikely your other units will be in the right place at the right time. You could likely allay this concern by employing fast units like spawn and bikers though, which if I was going to use mutilators is something I'd probably tailor the list for. A rushing, beatdown list with bikers, jump infantry and flying MCs (maybe some maulerfiends, hell lets get kinky) with a unit or two of mutilators to act as troubleshooters later in the game. They'd basically play goalie and try to deep strike behind the enemy lines to limit avenues of tactical retreat.

Unfortunately mutilators are butt ugly so I haven't bought any.

Chapter-Master

An excellent well considered post PK. It doesn't take into account some of the options from IA13 - I'm thinking of Raptor, or Kharybdis drop.

Chapter-Master

fair post, one point of contention though, A combo-plasma will do more damage to most vehicles than combi-melta if you shoot rear armour (and why wouldn't you) they also have the more flexible 12 maximum threat range which is important on DS unit with no mitigation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast