BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scout

Question do you use mutilators?

I like the flavor behind chaos space marine mutilators, but everything they do, obliterators can do at a distance. Do you use them? Why or why not?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Unfortunately they only really work in two builds.

1) solo mutilator with MoN for disruption, but you rarely have the points for this and its pretty slow.
    2) 3 of them with MoN in a Land Raider with some characters.

Any thing but MoN is kinda pointless because of their two wounds and lack of access to the Icons that boost the other marks
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I could see Khorne versions working well with Kharn and a Sorcerer there. Drop Kharn out one door, and the other guys out another. They get extra attacks, and I thought they could take an Icon of Wrath and so their power swords/mauls would be +1 Str on the charge too. That could really shred a bunch of enemy units.

Just choose your targets carefully and they can do nicely, especially if the sorcerer (unmarked please) can get Endurance on them.

Slaaneshi, wouldn't be terrible either, but they just seem more Khornate to me.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    I could see Khorne versions working well with Kharn and a Sorcerer there. Drop Kharn out one door, and the other guys out another. They get extra attacks, and I thought they could take an Icon of Wrath and so their power swords/mauls would be +1 Str on the charge too. That could really shred a bunch of enemy units.

Just choose your targets carefully and they can do nicely, especially if the sorcerer (unmarked please) can get Endurance on them.

Slaaneshi, wouldn't be terrible either, but they just seem more Khornate to me.
    dies to the prevalent S8+ far too easily
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Unfortunately they only really work in two builds.

1) solo mutilator with MoN for disruption, but you rarely have the points for this and its pretty slow.
    2) 3 of them with MoN in a Land Raider with some characters.

Any thing but MoN is kinda pointless because of their two wounds and lack of access to the Icons that boost the other marks
    Stupid question in all likelihood - but does the advent of the Chaos Spartan give them any help?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

They can't take Icons, so that is already a point against them.

Furthermore, they are unable to make Sweeping Advances being Slow and Purposeful, so even if you actually win combat and force the opponent to flee, they would not be able to run them down. I guess that is strike 2.

The only available transport is the Land Raider, which is rather expensive without Power of the Machine Spirit. So you are just adding to an already expensive unit. Strike 3?

The Spartan does not really help them that much, as they are limited to 3 models per unit. Strike 4.

Slaanesh is rather pointless as the majority of good weapon options make them Ini 1, so there is no point in having a +1 Ini bonus. Khorne looks ok, until you get hit by meltaguns. All in all, Nurgle seems to be the way to go.

But on the whole, I do not see a single valid reason to take those guys. Heck, I'd rather have Terminators and they are already not that great.

Brother-Captain

I don't see much point in their existence when Terminators do pretty much the same thing but also have guns (including combi-weapons) and aren't slow and purposeful. They still can't sweep, but they can run. They also aren't bothered about instant death so aren't forced to be nurgle like Mutilators and Obliterators are.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Stupid question in all likelihood - but does the advent of the Chaos Spartan give them any help?
    Its a point against them as you can then get more from the more terminators instead

Veteran-Sergeant

I've never seen anyone using them at my local club. They are slow and can't get Icon to boost them. I wish they can be taken in 5 models per squad. If there is a chance, I will make 3 nurgle mutilators and infiltrate (whether by Ahriman, Huron, or random warlord trait). That could get them into some close distance to charge in turn 2, provided that they survive the fire shot at them.

I thought the Dreadclaw would make great use of a 3 Mutilator squad + HQ, but of course it's only a dedicated transport for CSM/Chosen/dreadnoughts. *extremely loud, wet, obnoxious fart noise + thumbs down*
    Last edited by Venomlust; 10-23-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast