BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RPGs

Quote Originally Posted by robertsjf View Post
    Sounds like the GM has an issue with controlling resources, not an issue with DH....
    Not quite, the rules of DH really encourage the use of (heavy) armour if you want a good chance to survive. It's either that or pump up your dodge skill as high as it will go, but since you can dodge only once per round and armour subtracts its rating from _every_ hit you take (except stuff with really high penetration values), armour still wins out.

I've just started a new DH campaign myself and plan to (a) limit the resources the characters have at their disposal (mesh armour will be available, carapace armour or power armour not so much) and (b) focus on investigation/research/infiltration missions. This will hopefully mean the players tend towards less obvious arms and armour (try charming the locals into giving you some info while your dressed in power armor and wielding a chain axe... well I guess they might try Intimidate instead )

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Voxnovanion View Post
    Not quite, the rules of DH really encourage the use of (heavy) armour if you want a good chance to survive. It's either that or pump up your dodge skill as high as it will go, but since you can dodge only once per round and armour subtracts its rating from _every_ hit you take (except stuff with really high penetration values), armour still wins out.
    This sums up the basic problem: there's no effective repeat-dodge mechanic without house rules. Personally, if I ever do run DH, a repeat dodge mechanic that doesn't degrade will be a house rule, as will encouraging a bit more subtlety than I've seen most players and groups use.

Battle-Brother

I think the lethalitz is one of the core points in dh.

It encourages the players to think befor they are doing some stupid action like entering an underground bar shooting through the door.

For the most characters armour is still not that available with their income if u are not playing a noble ore some other sort of char with high income oryo u let armour drop from bees like in Blizzards Diablo 2 videogame.

After all the gm has to know what campaign he want to run, if he seend the players in a warzone he should give them some armour but investigating in the spire of a hive those armour wouldnt that usefull cause which noble wants to talk to some lesser beeing wearing some dirty armour of a warzone?

Its less about controlling the ressurces than controlling the environment of your adventures.

There may be the guardsman with carapace armour and heavy stubber but the challange for this caracter will be an undercover investigation in noble surroundungs.

The Dark Heresy stuff seems to be a hoot. I"m waiting for Rogue Trader!

Scout

Dark Heresy is the story of ordinary people struggling to live in the Dark Millennium, and to make their story even more tragic they dis something to get the attention of an Inquisitor who is now going to use them until they die.

It is a chance to look at the 40k world and see there is more than war, there is intrigue, corruption, pain, suffering, mystery, and so much more.

Scout

Another round of people making the heavy armor argument.

Yes, armor helps you on every hit to a covered location while dodge only protects you from one attack per round.

But showing up in armor to a noble's ball, or a imperial sermon is out.

Also, the guy dressed like a turtle is going to attract the attention of the baddies equipped to deal with that. Two handed swords, man stopper rounds, and anything else with a penetration rating has no bonus against an unarmored target. A few dozen Thrones worth of gear can put a real hurting on somebody even with their armor.

It is far better to utilize tactics, and cover, so you only have to dodge once a round or so.

I slightly modified the systems to make it a little more streamlined and fun.

The Blue Table group changed to TT style D6 instead, which can also work, and if you players are already familiar w the WS/BS of TT, it will speed up the clunkyness

Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234