BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fun to play? Orks. and as a "sub-army" grots. A typical 1500 point list for me with these runs about 120-140 infantry, and about 20 armoured units. It CAN be effective, but it can also fold like a cheap suit. But it's just funny to look at the blank stare of your opponent that first round with the muttering "What do i shoot at? so many things... "
    for a grot army you do have to reach into Forge world a bit.
    HQ: Big Mek
    Elites: Grot tanks, (maybe a few other ork squads as support)
    Troops: grots, nothing but grots.
    Fast attack: Grot Mega tank, Dakka jets with the BS: 3
    Heavy Support: Big Guns, Killer Kans, maybe some other vehicle support.

Chaos Marine with maxxed-out heavy support are actually really fun... I played a list with 3 Oblits, a Vindicator and a LasPred and the devastation was really something to behold!

Well plenty of people have already said Dark Eldar. I can't really put a good hand on what the new codex will bring out... But flyby reaver attacks, hail of poison shots, zooming across the map, and special characters that added a lot of support to your army. Power from Pain and combat drugs really affected the way you played. Now they lost a bit of that, but they have the new WWP that should make things interesting... and d6 str 6 rending HoW will also make things fun.

As for something people havent mentioned, perhaps because they are definitely showing their age, and on the fringe.... But Eldar Corsairs. CWE can use most of their fun toys now, better... but you can't deny the big blast lance ordnance lance shot from your prince (fortress of redemption cry!) And troops with Jet packs? rock on!

Battle-Brother

I am currently having a LOT of fun with Mechanized Imperial Guard. Nothing screams "FOR THE EMPEROR!" like a mass of Leman Russ and Chimera chassis tanks just rolling over my opponents, or Sentinels walking towards my opponents, releasing an unending hail of plasma.

To play against? Well, I'd have to say Orks and Dark Eldar. So much character with those armies, and not too much 'meta' junk, at least at my locals. Both very good armies, but not 'competitive-I-will-wreck-your-face' wherein I actually have a chance to win. I also very much enjoy playing against the Forge World Horus Heresy armies. They are still marines through-and-through, but they play so differently that its rather refreshing. I also love playing against non-gunline Tau. If you thought Eldar were slippery, try facing a speed assault Tau force. Devilfish, Battlesuits, etc, as opposed to Fire Warriors behind an Aegis. and they are fast. They may not move as fast as Eldar or DEldar, but they are good at getting in, and getting out before returning fire smashes them to bits. They are so much fun to play against, I almost want to actually play them! Knights are actually also one of the more exciting armies to face for me. Strong, and often the cause of my defeat, but nothing's cooler than seeing Knights walking down the table destroying everything in sight, even if its my stuff they are destroying. And its just so satisfying to bring one of them down.

Chaos Daemons! Powerful, fun, diverse HQ units. Hoard Potential, and Random to the max!

To play : Eldar & Dark Eldar. Reason, with Eldar, trying to figure out lists, that don´t get the " NO FARE, ELDAR TRICKERY! " screams from grown men in my FLGC . Well, seriously, the potential to go in many different directions, shooty, psychic and even CC (if feeling crazy thou). Dark Eldar, cos the new codex is good. I complained about losing the Baron and such, but i´ve played three games and won two of them with the new codex, so i´m starting to see the potential...
    To play against : Space Wolves. They don´t have FnP (which is annoying to play against ), but got serious CC and Long Fangs are just nasty! Plus the named characters with their tricks.
    Not enjoying going against so much : Grey Knights with two Dredknights with shunt and torrent flamers...or CSM list with loads of flying lvl 3 Psyker Daemon Princes and a Heldrake...BUT, i´ll play every possible game, cos i just love to throw dice, but, i´m thinking starting a ban on Invisibility in our FLGC, cos that´s just stupid psychic power (and Eldar is my main army...)...

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

Here's a question for you all, as I may have mentioned I find the new Grey Knights codex a bit dull and am looking to try another marine codex.

"What do you think is the most interesting and entertaining Space Marine army to use be it Chaos or Loyalist?"
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    "What do you think is the most interesting and entertaining Space Marine army to use be it Chaos or Loyalist?"
    What do you find interesting and entertaining?

Most people I know would say look at any internet list, and it would be NOT that. I often see Iron Hands, White Scars, and Salamanders, Space Wolves, and Dark Angels. So Raven Guard, Black Templars, and pretty much any of the others aside from pure Blood Angels I find interesting, even Ultramarines oddly.

We have a person who comes in occasionally and runs Blood Angels successor Lamentors. I often mistake them for Imperial Fists (with an abnormal number of Assault Marines). But that color scheme makes it interesting for me.

On the Chaos side, I most often see Khorne and Nurgle, with a little Undivided running around. Alphas, Night Lords, and Iron Hands (or even DIY) would be a welcome change.
    Last edited by Charistoph; 10-23-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Banned

See my previous answer.

In terms of most interesting, go for something you don't see so much these days. Apparently White Scars and Iron Hands are all the rage, so how about Mantis Warriors or Sons of Medusa?

I think the best thing to do, would be to find an army you think is entertaining to play and then make it interesting by homebrewing your own chapter on top. E.g Space Wolves riding thunderwolves is so over done ATM. Why not put them on dinosaurs or some crazy alien beasty of your own devising?

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Here's a question for you all, as I may have mentioned I find the new Grey Knights codex a bit dull and am looking to try another marine codex.

I like to play the Loyalist armies myself. I think the fluff has added some very interesting motivations for the traitor legions, but that doesn't always get reflected in game play.

I think the interest and entertainment comes from what you like to do.

I also collect comic books and I've modeled a few after my favorite comic characters. I also find endless amounts of amusement calling the psychic phase, "the magic phase," or Eldar - "Space Elves" or my Blood Angels - "Space Vampires." One of my friends plays Slaanesh marines and asks his opponents, "are you ready to rock?"
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast