BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What Are The Most Entertaining 40k Armies To Play?

Simple question; Out of all the armies in 40k what do you think is the one that provides the most enjoyment and entertainment?

Just to clarify I'm not looking for the most competitive armies that will easily win you the game, just the armies you think bring the most fun to a game.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Chapter-Master

I have the most fun with fast armies so in no particular order: Dark Eldar, Eldar and Marine Bikes/Speeders but in general any build that has a lot of mobility.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Banned

What is fun to a person? It's very personal perspective.

However, that being said, Orks will almost always bring an interesting time to the game board. Their attitude, general randomness and crazy build schemes (both list and model) always make it hard to have a boring time with them.

3rd Edition Necrons, though. Not fun, generally. Not much in the way of options (both list and model), Phase Out made army building a pain and could clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. Good thing they were updated.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

The armies with different playstyles.

Playing Marine bike/Eldar Mech/ IG or Tau gunline for the umpteenth time is booooooring.

Playing against Sisters of battle, Footdar, Deathwing, etc is interesting because each army plays so much differently from the others
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Personally, I like my fast moving armies, dark eldar and eldar primarily (space marine bikes in 3rd). To play against, I'd pick orks, ork players seem to be a breed apart from most other gamers.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Personally, I like my fast moving armies, dark eldar and eldar primarily (space marine bikes in 3rd). To play against, I'd pick orks, ork players seem to be a breed apart from most other gamers.
    True Ork players seem to have a lot of fun and they are a bit different. When they scream WAAAAAAAAGH during the game I almost crap my pants!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

I like to play with and against armies that play like their fluff. All DS jump pack BA, Deathwing, Ravenwing, All-Khorne close assault, it's all good. And it is nice sometimes to see a 'sub-optimal' unit because it looks cool or has awesome conversions.

Possessed anyone?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

I'd second Eldar, as long as they're built for that and not strictly winning - lotsa tricks to pull off without spamming Wave Serpents
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    The armies with different playstyles.

Playing Marine bike/Eldar Mech/ IG or Tau gunline for the umpteenth time is booooooring.

Playing against Sisters of battle, Footdar, Deathwing, etc is interesting because each army plays so much differently from the others
    Oh, we're doing armies we play?

Well mine are always very heavily themed and I go for soemthing that offers a different playstyle for each list.
    I have Jump/skimmer/flier Blood angels.
    Swarm nids (the theme kinda breaks here but I like units that spawn mid game to give a mass of gribblies backed up by big bugs....so the theme is...tyranids?)
    Terminator chaos (mostly Nurgle, but some Khorne and I'm even considering some Tzeentch/Slaanesh for this one)
    Parts for/ in progress Mechanised Slaanesh CSMs
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

I play Space Wolves, and I find them a lot of fun to play with. I like getting stuck into combat when I can, but there's still that unbeatable feeling of blasting an enemy unit away with overwhelming firepower. Throw in a brutal combat focussed character (who has TRUE character) and that sounds like a good time to me.

On the other hand I like Iron Warriors Chaos Marines. Sitting back and firing away with tanks and massed bolter fire. I like Chaos because they feel like they should. An aspiring champion could suddenly burst into viscera and a Daemon Prince stands in his place. Likewise, an unfortunate Lord could displease his patron Gods and suffer the ignominy of become a gibbering spawn.

This is what's so good about 40k, the most fun army to play, is the army you find most fun to play. As long as both players are on the same page and know what is coming (fluff bunnies drinking beers and munching pretzels or two hard-core gamers aiming to mercilessly annihilate their opponent or something in between) you're in for a good time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast