BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's missing?

Default What's missing?

How do?

40k - a colossal sandbox setting for our gaming pleasure. Built up over nearly three decades (though in four different ones. Stupid time!) it's rich, and gloriously detailed, without being completely set in stone. The scale is clear - billions of worlds in the Imperium alone, and near infinite threat - from the extremely ancient Necrons, the upstart Tau, even entire planets in the shape of Deathworlds are all waiting to give you a proper kicking and run off with your wallet.

But the detail is incomplete, and deliberately so. We know who the big players are, and we have named dozens of other, minor races, tantalising glimpses of less widespread, but no less serious threats to whichever race we ally with. They may not be poised to threaten our favourites continued existence, but they may yet prove distraction enough for another big boy to come along and mess with our sweet ride.

And it's those lesser covered things I want to discuss.

What aspect of the galaxy do you feel isn't represented enough. What would you like to see delved into in more depth? Perhaps it's the lesser races themselves - some kind of sourcebook or limited range force for the battlefield. Maybe you want more definition on the different kinds of planets? For the most part, the scenery is focussed on the Imperium. They may not be the biggest (definitely Orks!) or the most unified (Necrons and Craftworld Eldar are my faves there), but they are the most constant in terms of look and approach, and that leads most gaming boards to look broadly similar - industrialised Imperial Worlds in various states of repair. But we know that out there are Feudal Worlds, Agri-Worlds, Prison-Worlds, Maiden-Worlds, Death-Worlds, Daemon-Worlds - in short, just about anything we can conceive is arguably out there (except that planet I want, which I can't discuss on a family board. Or over PM. Trust me, some things are best kept to oneself).

What's missing for you?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I think, overall, there is a distinct lack of fluff and races of Xenos armies. IMHO, there should be far more Xenos armies/models (and novels) than Imperium, but that's just my opinion.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Occuli Imperator

I think I agree with cactus, xenos are lacking
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Exploration of existing, or investigation into different species?

I was tantalised by the Xeno Biology book - which I sadly lent to a mate and never saw again!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

There are lots of references to all kinds of exotic aliens, but they seem to be the disperate paragraph here or there, but no indepth of the little guy.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Obviously, some decent f**king looking aliens. I'm sure most people know by now that it is my biggest passion within SF and the reason I invented my own damn SF game to "fix" this issue but for those that arent aware ; I detest anything remotely earthlike or humanoid - and it's the make or break for me in so many SF settings. I grew up on H.P. Lovecraft, Daleks and Vorlons and later on discovered Baxter and Stapledon, setting my standard even higher.

The moment I see something with 2 arms and 2 legs I want to burn it for being Unalien looking and the same when it's a god damn Military SF "space bug" or H.R. Giger Xenomorph ripoff that adds nothing to the style, so it's not really so much a criticism of 40k but of Visual SF in general. 40k has no decent Xenos to me, infact I don't even see most of the Xenos as "Xenos" but human standins.

These days I'm so passionate about this I actually feel the need to design and sculpt an "original" Alien race every time I see a wargame put out another one of the same boring tired tropes, just to try and balance things a bit.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 10-21-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Matt Ward or anyone with a taste for some controversy. A new race would be good to. squat the kroot and bring in some new exenos.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Veteran-Sergeant

I just want to see the timeline of the fluff progress beyond the 13th crusade.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by vharing View Post
    I just want to see the timeline of the fluff progress beyond the 13th crusade.
    I NEVER EVER WANT TO SEE THAT IN 40K.

Not after what GW is potentially doing with endtimes (I say potentially because given that they refuse to discuss ANYTHING with the community means that I wont invest in endtimes until I know I wont be screwed over by them arbitrarily destroying parts of my army because they are "old" or whatever bull**** reason they come up with
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

What's missing for you?
    Some sort of space dwarf would be nice...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast