BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you continue to purchase GW models if there was no game alongside them?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would continue buying.

15 15.15%
  • No - I would stop buying.

84 84.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nope. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I already have a hard enough time justifying my purchases to my wife. I can't imagine I would put up a fight if the rules went away.

I would be VERY sad, but that would be that.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

maybe one or two,every so often they release something like the "plague drones" that I buy just for the model. But thats very few and very far between
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I have around 30k points of models covering just about every 40k army they sell.

If the game went away, I'd sell those off and play something else. Yes, the models are cool. Yes I've spent an unknown amount of time assembling and painting them. But at the end of the day, I'm in this "hobby" because I like playing strategy games on a table top against a live opponent.

As most people on this thread have said, I buy models because collect and paint a army which I intent to PLAY A GAME with. If GW were to stop producing rules then as far as im concerned, that would be the end of Warhammer and I would move my time 100% into Warmachine/Hordes rather than the 50/50 split I currently have. I would keep a number of my figures to use in Patherfinder RPG but a large percentage of them would be sold off.

I can’t see how not having a game system in place would do anything to help GW. They cant attract more customers without an actual game to use their figures in. And most vets would seriously consider their position if there was no longer an “official” game for them to play. Quite simply, if they stop producing rules/games, the company would be viewed as dead to most people.

I've been collecting & converting Adeptus Mechanicus and Knights for several years now, since before GW started making rules for them. Would I continue collect & convert them? Yes.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Librarian

I play about once a week, which is about how often I buy/paint/finish a new unit. If the game itself was gone (somethign I dont think will ever completely happen) I guess i'de still want to build the models but only if there were some other medium for me to hold onto, ide want some sort of comic/graphic novels series or an animated show/movie. Something to keep the universe big. realistically speaking I know a lot of people that have spent two or three times more money and time on Gundam models with no desire to play any type of tabletop game with them (there are a few decent rule-sets for certain scales). Every time they explain them to me they know all the episodes and their features. Im not totally against this sort of way of modeling building certainly ive built many a half-track sherman or panzer for no discernable gameplay use but quite frankly this is what sets 40k apart
    this is what makes 40k/any decent game system better than historical/fanatic collections
    Last edited by Arkhan Land; 10-23-2014 at 06:58 AM.

As far as I am concerned they have already stopped producing working rules so I kicked the habit and moved on to other games.

Voted yes. As i see it i dont play, i collect to build, convert, paint. I really enjoy those aspects of the hobby. Id like to think ill maybe get a game at somepoint but honestly i dont expect to(dont have the time). In the middle of two different types of SW armies and enjoying it. Proper hobbyist, with a side of armchair general and theory math hammerer.
    Never enough time to do nothing.

No game would mean no purchases for me. I can find nice kits in plenty of places. I buy GW stuff to play games. My purchases are often driven by whether I can actually use something in a game. Sure, sometimes I buy something because it looks cool, like a Morkanaut, or Thunderwolf Cavalry, but I find uses for them in-game, too. For example, I can't see myself using Nagash much, which is why I've held off so far on spending over a hundred dollars on that model. (One guy wanted to play against Nagash bad and offered to loan me his half-built model - I ended up being loaned the store's painted model instead - and that's the only time I've used Nagash. He just changes the play style to something that feels "meh" for me.) Blood Knights look great, but aren't really that great in game terms and are horribly expensive.

Some models can't be really altered that much, so why would I even want to buy so many of them? Like Ork Boyz. Or basic Space Marines. Most WFB units, I certainly wouldn't buy more than one box of models.

I know GW has been moving more toward trying to promote itself as a "miniatures company" and not a "games company." It's stupid. The games push the miniatures. You can find a minority of people who would (or do) buy GW stuff without playing the games, but they are such a minority that the company would swiftly go bankrupt if it dropped the games.

Most of the people who come into the local Games Workshop store, if they stick around long enough to be given any kind of demonstration of the hobby, they're more likely to get into it when they try the games and/or see people playing the games. A rare person sees the models and wants to just paint them, sure. But they are few and far between compared to the ones who come in, get interested in the games, and pick up a core set.

If they stopped that stupid direction and remembered what build up the company they have, they could go back to expanding, but if they keep up with the current business model, they might start losing more market share. I hope a new CEO will recognize the problem. Heck, they could easily recognize it if the current management - not just CEO, but everyone involved in the major decisions - even bothered seeing what their customers were interested in or cared what they were thinking.

This board is gamer heavy, but they are upsetting the collectors just as fast as the gamers. GW took a low effort get rich faster strategy. Lots of people buy models for all sorts of reasons. Reducing your target market only ever has one impact on revenue.

All low effort get rich quick investments go the same way. I'm so glad I didn't invest in to GW.
    Last edited by jonsgot; 10-23-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast