BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you continue to purchase GW models if there was no game alongside them?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would continue buying.

15 15.15%
  • No - I would stop buying.

84 84.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default GW Business Analysis Video (MUST SEE)

OH Boy - these are going to be popular.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsVtZ8SRClYf4tPzy8HjNtA"]via BuyPainted[/URL]
    Be sure to watch all of the 3rd video:

We are all eagerly awaiting the next installment...

Also, I have added the poll to get the BoLS readers opinion whether GW miniatures are for collectors or gamers.
    Last edited by Bigred; 10-22-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Very reasonable video set. Not pure doom and gloom just that current policies will ultimately lead to doom and gloom. Can't say that I disagree.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I said "yes" to the poll question, but with a major caveat-- I'm buying only the models right now anyway, as 7th edition has been so sloppy that the local playerbase has either moved on or uses a set of house rules so extensive that the official rulebook doesn't even show up at the table anymore.

Wishful thinking, I know, but could we get ForgeWorld to stage a takeover of the actual rules side of the business?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Owning several armies that have nothing to do with GW, but other systems, I can honestly say once the rules disappeared I quit buying. (Void for example) sure I bought the odd piece after the rules vanished, but that was more to finish up a squad, in the hopes that one day I'd be able to dust them off and use them again.
    I also own a butt load of historical miniatures from many different manufactures. The advantage to historical is that they can be used for many different game systems. In the case of GW, fantasy might be able to pull this system jump off, but it would be situational at best. In the case of 40k the miniatures are so specific to the 40k universe that no other rule set could use them. With the lack of ability to use them to tell a story on the table, or support the the 40k universe as a whole the model line would die. My case in point for this would be Squats. Once they were removed, you had a few die yards that continue to collect them, but the majority of players simply moved on. If the rule system dies, we as a group would abandon the model line as well. Sure you'd have a few die hards, but not enough to support a company like GW.

With very few and small exceptions (mostly to use for dnd) my answer is an absolute no. I am a gamer first, collector second. The entire draw for me getting into 40k was the fact that these were models that you could do something with other then paint and put on a shelf.

I've bought multiple models I have no intention of using in-game, but if I wasn't going to use any of my models in-game then I'd go back to Revell kits.

As to the videos: too video; didn't watch

First-Captain

easy to answer for me - we stopped playing, so I stopped buying... may get a nice kit or two in the future, but nothing on any serious scale as far as I can predict the future right now...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

I also voted no. Some GW models are awesome, but plenty of companies have awesome models these days. The one big reason I do like 40k so much is I can customize my models and still have them be acceptable to other gamers; I'm not certain other game systems permit that at all.

But if they ever do just go under, I will probably still have my favorite 40k models, and will still be able to play a game from the old rules, or we can just make up whatever fixes we want or need...you know, like the tournaments do.

GW must be delusional if they think they are a company that produces "Collectible" models. Sure, they have really nice looking big models once in a while, but when the vast majority of your models are 1- 3 inches tall, that's not something a collector would consider displayable. They're not NECA, McFarlane Toys, SHMonsterarts, or any one of half a dozen Japanese figure companies that produce large, highly detailed, articulated figures or static statuettes. Sure they've got really good looking models compared to other tabletop game companies, but compared to other collectible toy and figure making companies, they just don't compare. GW needs to wake the f*ck up and realize that without the game, they've got nothing. Their models are not going to sell themselves, especially at their current price tags in the present economy. They don't seem to understand that at all. If they want to recover they've got to economize. No more throwing money around on pointless things like unnecessary lawsuits. Scale prices back to let the potential customer know that they realize money is tight and they want to make it easier for us. I think they'd see their sales improve if they scaled everything back 10% or offered discounts once in a while. But they seem completely unresponsive to changes in their customer base. GW isn't selling food that people have to buy in order to survive and can get away with upping the price a little bit every month because they know customers need to eat. They're selling a luxury product that is not a basic necessity to life. There is a point where a customer will not pay for it, and for many people that point has come and gone. GW isn't totally screwed yet, but once they get to the point where a larger majority of their current customers refuse to buy, they're going to go under really fast. And as much as we hate the company, a lot of us love the game, and really don't want to see that happen. At least I don't anyway.

I already don't buy a model till I've got the rules and know if it's even worth my time and money. No rules, no model purchase, doesn't matter how cool it looks, my time, money, and shelf space is limited enough as it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast