BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar_Atog View Post
    *raised eye brow* So 2 equally skilled players, one using sisters and one using eldar, have EQUAL odds of winning a game? Orks vs Tau?
    I should clarify. I meant Warhammer, the game of fantasy battles, rather than Warhammer 40,000 the game of space battles. Hence my point about Games Workshop being more than just 40k. I haven't played 40k since the start of the last edition. I know it is the biggest selling and most popular product, but making statements about GW's whole company ethos based purely on one product they make is not exactly accurate or fair.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Sergeant

Petition has reached 10,000!
    Now to get a hold of GW.

Chapter-Master

I'm accepting of the fact that competitive game balance is a myth, an unattrainable and largely pointless goal.
    Do you know what an asymptote is? You're saying that just because you can't quite actually reach perfect balance, then there's no point in even trying at all. Might as well tell Usain Bolt to hang up his cleats, because he's never going to get a 9-second 100m.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCreator View Post
    Petition has reached 10,000!
    Now to get a hold of GW.
    It has been the whole time. [email][email protected][/email], from what I understand of change.org, gets an email each time the petition is signed.

I am sure corporate GW at least knows about it now, especially since I think I actually did manage to provide some emails of important people (CEO and COO) as well.

BUT I am still going to print and mail the petition to a few of the big wigs with the signatures attached. Hopefully that will help drive the point home.

As long as some sort of discussion is happening at GW, I am happy. Who knows, maybe this is going to be a talking point at all the potential CEO interviews.
    Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, High Captain of Angband - Veteran Blood Angels Player
    Home of the 9th Legion: www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com

I doubt it.

Corporations don't have to do owt with petitions, especially those with pre-set points demanding they essentially make an entirely different product.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

GW have a business plan agreed to by their board of directors. It's unlikely to change based on this petition, especially if they research into the sites promoting it, (and they will, because it demands massive changes in the game,) they'll see a large contingent of people railing against it, and that some of the people who signed it only agreed with one or two points.

We need to start setting aside price as a complaint. It's not going to move, GW have been pretty clear on that. Their prices are comparable if not better than other vendors of similar quality. I don't care if Perry Miniatures sell 36 Civil War minis for the price of 10 Tactical Marines - those Tactical Marines have more detail, far more posability, and much more customisation.

The problem with this petition is it's very much, "here's what me and a few others want, and a larger group who want aspects of it but not the whole."

There's also the inherent problem with online petitions, that corporations are free to ignore them, knowing that doing so will change nothing.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

If a petition were to change their business plan, it would have to be something that would cost next to nothing to impliment and contain hard numbers showing significant revenue increases. Restructuring their business would cost massive amounts of money, and 'it might draw more players' is not a compelling reason in and of itself to expect more revenue, especially since most of the signers already likely give GW plenty of money since they presumably play.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    GW have a business plan agreed to by their board of directors. It's unlikely to change based on this petition, especially if they research into the sites promoting it, (and they will, because it demands massive changes in the game,) they'll see a large contingent of people railing against it, and that some of the people who signed it only agreed with one or two points.

We need to start setting aside price as a complaint. It's not going to move, GW have been pretty clear on that. Their prices are comparable if not better than other vendors of similar quality. I don't care if Perry Miniatures sell 36 Civil War minis for the price of 10 Tactical Marines - those Tactical Marines have more detail, far more posability, and much more customisation.

The problem with this petition is it's very much, "here's what me and a few others want, and a larger group who want aspects of it but not the whole."

There's also the inherent problem with online petitions, that corporations are free to ignore them, knowing that doing so will change nothing.
    I actually agree with you for the most part. And while not everyone agrees with every point, I tried to touch on some of the wider reaching/more common ones to appeal to the greatest crowd.

The hope is that at least discussion occurs behind the doors at GW. No immediate change was ever expected, least of all by myself. The desire is that there is a shift in the corporate mindset to, over the long term, become more accommodating IRT the points laid out in the petition. At the heart of this is essentially "You make a game, not just models" which at times it seems GW has forgotten. Their own website has a segment titled "business model" and it says "We make the best fantasy miniatures in the world and sell them globally at a profit and we intend to do this forever" as their core strategy. As I say in the petition it should say "We make the best wargame in the world accompanied by the highest quality and best fantasy miniatures in the world". They are GAMES Workshop, not just Citadel Miniatures

As for the comparison to Perry Miniatures, don't the Perry brothers design and sculpt alot of things for Citadel?
    Last edited by Gothmog; 11-07-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, High Captain of Angband - Veteran Blood Angels Player
    Home of the 9th Legion: www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

That 'investor relations' email is missing the letter 'n'...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I like the petition for more dark, amusing reasons. It isn't as if the current Board of Directors and so-called management of the company will be able to claim they were in the dark or caught by surprise by continuing bad economic reports. The petition, as a representative of the actual products consumer, makes it very clear that something is wrong. So if/when they continue to perform poorly, it will be very hard to make excuses... well... excuses anyone is going to believe.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast