BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Certain moment in that......

Also also wik....

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29815429]Teaser for Agent Carter[/url]
    Um no that's something about gay marrige Mystery...
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I actually think there is an interesting angle with Black Widow there, she is the onl one apart from Hawkeye who doesn't try to lift it? Yet she has shown she is incredibly selfless on numerous occassions, putting the survival of others ahead of herself. If Marvel were on the ball they could be setting her up to actually have a moment where she is forced to wield Mjolnir and is actually able to do so. It happened in the comics once.
    Yep. That would be cool.

As for the Agent Carter link - try it now!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I actually think there is an interesting angle with Black Widow there, she is the onl one apart from Hawkeye who doesn't try to lift it? Yet she has shown she is incredibly selfless on numerous occassions, putting the survival of others ahead of herself. If Marvel were on the ball they could be setting her up to actually have a moment where she is forced to wield Mjolnir and is actually able to do so. It happened in the comics once.
    Yeah I love that show of self-confidence on her part where she calmly states that she doesn't need to know if she is worthy. Would be pretty awesome moment in the film if she does pick up the hammer!
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

I read it that she knows she's not. She's the most bloodstained and previously murderous of all The Avengers after all. It's kind of her gimmick.

So yeah, would be awesome if she was found to be worthy. That would be a serious mark-out moment if written properly.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I dunno.

Man of Steel was rubbish. And Ben 'get some acting lessons mate' Affleck as Batman?

Serious concerns about them taking the reverse approach, and leading with the ensemble movie. Do non-geeks, which make up a significant portion of Marvel's audience really know enough about Cyborg, Aquaman, hell even Wonder Woman, to care about the characters without a 'hand holding' intro movie?
    Ben Affleck is a good actor. He's had some bad roles, but he can act well.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Affleck isn't what I would call a "go-to" name for Batman, however, and I don't see him being able to make a good showing with Zach Snyder directing.

Let me make it clear, while I'm not terribly interested in Justice League, I want to see it done well. If nothing else, Marvel is going to get lazy and stupid without some quality competition. I don't believe, based on what information is available, that this movie will be that quality competition.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Marvel is going to get lazy and stupid without some quality competition.
    Marvel has competition. It's literally anything else you can spend your entertainment money on. Literally every other film is Marvel's competition. There are people who go to see 'superhero films' and people who go to see 'films'. One of these groups is smaller than the other, and Marvel's success has been appealing to the larger of the two. Saying DC is the only company who can really compete with Marvel is like saying Muhammed Ali in his prime needed to fight a drunk homeless guy with one leg and narcolepsy because they both own coats.

DC is not Marvel's competition in the world of cinema, only in comics. In the world of cinema, Marvel's competitor is everyone else.

Also, who does DC have? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman... that green naked man with the belts... some girl in a bad hat with wings and some kind of mace... the fruity one...

DC's main problem is that, with the exception of Batman, its characters are basically completely ridiculous and were invented for nine year olds. Which, as 'Batman: The Brave and The Bold' AND 'Teen Titans' proved, can be AWESOME. But DC don't want to make fun films for nine years olds. They can't see why something like 'The Incredibles' works. All they can see is Batman: grim, gritty, darker and edgier. Which on someone like Green Lantern? Is f**ing facile. Some characters can be dark and edgy successfully. But there's a reason people didn't like the fact Superman killed Zod in 'Man of Steel'.

DC should be doing a Pixar with a lot of its properties; choosing tones which match their characters' various personae. But they can't, because they're fixated on Grimdark and hotshotting the films. They want 'Avengers' money now, not realising that kind of payday is earned through the slow burn, not suddenly.

Unless they're very, very clever, they will fail.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 10-29-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Also, who does DC have? Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman... that green naked man with the belts... some girl in a bad hat with wings and some kind of mace... the fruity one...
    You are pretty spot on but I have to disagree on this one point. DC has some really good characters besides Batman. Martian Manhunter could be interesting.. if done right. Even Hawkgirl... but they can't give them the gritty treatment.

It would have been sooooo easy to screw up the Thor movie. The odds against that movie were so long.. but they managed to make a great movie. Hawkeye isn't much better. They turned a character most would consider a D-lister and had him filling an important part of the Avengers movie.

The way you treat your characters is just as important as the characters you use. Think about this: Marvel is planning on making an Ant Man movie and it'll probably be great. If Ant Man can have a great movie, then anyone can have a great movie

Chapter-Master

That's the problem with DC movies. They keep planning out all this "we're going to copy Marvel and have superheroes face off and have an overarching story and...", but that's not why Marvel has been successful. Marvel has been successful because they consistently put out good movies. Guardians of the Galaxy blew away expectations precisely because everyone seems to think the key to success was introducing heroes and then cramming them into a movie and so they didn't expect unknown heroes to do well.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I read it that she knows she's not. She's the most bloodstained and previously murderous of all The Avengers after all. It's kind of her gimmick.

So yeah, would be awesome if she was found to be worthy. That would be a serious mark-out moment if written properly.
    I think she thinks she isn't worthy, because she thinks worthy = purity. But in Winter Soldier for example she blew her own cover and let all her secrets out and when she was under attack instead of zigzagging which would have put civilians in the firing line she ran away from WS in a straight line and lots of little things like that.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast