BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

You mean the Heavy CG?

Aren't most bullets copper jacketed? I remember them being copper coloured not lead coloured when I was in cadets as a teen.
    Do recreational shooters not use the same?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    You mean the Heavy CG?
    The Soldier suits the stereotypical American thing better. Besides, in the most recent comics it's noted that he actually has lead poisoning.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Ah sorry I was thinking the minigun angle, yeah as a character the Soldier suits the stereotype.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

This is why one should use depleted heavy metals.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Do we still use Lead bullets at all? I'm confused.

Apparently, Silver is too soft for dakka - but lead isn't>
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

All projectiles that go down a rifled barrel have a coating of soft metal (pretty much always lead or copper) in order to engage the rifling grooves. Even huge artillery shells have a driving band of copper around the middle. The coating or driving band needs to be a soft metal, because you want it to conform to the rifling, rather than the other way around (i.e. scrape the rifling off on the way out). Most modern rounds have a copper jacketing of some sort to improve the effects on impact, but not all of these coat the entire bullet, and even those that do still have a lead core.

However, the problem this article is discussing is not going to come from lead vaporized in the barrel as such, but instead from the bullet striking the backstop at the other end of the range. A rifle range is almost always going to be outside, because of the ranges involved, and the backstop is usually a tall earthen berm, where the bullets just bury themselves into the dirt. An indoor pistol range, on the other hand, is going to have a hardened wall as a backstop, which will cause the bullet to smash up on impact, converting some % of its mass into fine dust, and that's where the problem comes from.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Ah, I see. So it's not the actual bullet itself, but the coating.

Cheers!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Do we still use Lead bullets at all? I'm confused.

Apparently, Silver is too soft for dakka - but lead isn't>
    Lead is the main component of most bullets, with a copper jacket. It's where the term full metal jacket comes from.

Some bullets use steel or tugsten, mostly for military use since they penetrate armor more easily, though steel shotgun rounds are common due to environmental concerns. It wears out rifle barrels rapidly, though.

There are a few other exotic material options, but those are almost exclusively for things like nonlethal rubber bullets.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    In 13 years of service I have never heard of any British studies or concerns into lead poisoning at military ranges - even from teeth arm units who put far more down the range than I ever have or will. Believe me in this increasingly litigious society people would have tried to sue by now if it had happened and the MOD would fight shy - but as they don't and even let cadet units on with no quibbling, I think the problem is not that great.
    America can be a very litigious society sometimes, and politics comes into play as often as not. If the Brady campaign could ban gun ranges over what may or may not be a legitimate environmental concern, they would do it in a heartbeat.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Exactly.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast