BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Anarchy Online pulled off the SciFi MMORPG-with-guns concept rather okay. I wonder what sort of gimmick 40k online will have.

Abbess Sanctorum

It is practically my mission on the forums, but that's mostly because I keep most of my Guard talk on the IGMB and I don't talk much about my Orks except as far as fluff goes. And strangely enough I've actually convinced people to get into Sisters armies with some of my rants... apparently I do better marketing for the Sisters than GW does, but then GW does zero marketing so I guess it isn't hard.

Regardless, I think the Sisters of Battle would do just fine.

It could even be divided into something like...

Imperium:
    Marine
    Sister
    Sergeant of some sort? (Could eventually become a psyker, an officer, etc)

Orks:
    Sluggaboy
    Shootaboy
    Grot

Eldar:
    Guardian
    Warlock trainee of some sort
    Harlequin trainee of some sort

Chaos:
    Mutant Cultist
    Initiate Marine
    Initiate Sorcerer

etc etc etc. Three "classes" per group essentially. Given that it's much easier for them to make one group of allied races fight another alliance of races, it probably will end up being Imperium, Eldar, and Tau... versus Chaos, Orks, and Dark Eldar, given that the Necrons and Tyranids don't really lend themselves to player characters. Of course, this is all speculation, but I'm basing mostly it off how they did WAR. WAR did the best compromise they could manage, but that compromise doesn't entirely work in 40k... still, for the sake of gameplay they can stretch the fluff a bit. If they don't, it'll be rather difficult to have an organized player base.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    If old claims hold true, this will actually be a MMORPG and not the MMOFPS that some are guessing.

Why does every thread on BOLS get derailed into a conversation about Sisters of Battle?
    See:

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia
    [Any post]
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Occuli Imperator

Personally I would like to see this game be more like Lineage 2 than WAR. What I mean by that is: In Lineage 2 any race could attack anyother race at any time, it was all free game. yes, that means imperials PKing iimperials. Yes, there were downsides to just killing at random (You name would turn red and if you were killed while red then you had a chance to drop your gear!) But it gave this feeling of "Oh crap," which I would think would be great in a 40kMMO.

That said Im going to have to disagree with M's classes a bit and substitute my own reality

Imperium:
    Distance: Guardsman progresses to Storm Trooper(Male and Female)
    Close Combat: Marine progresses to 1st company veteran(NO FSM! lol)
    Misc: Commisar/ Battle psyker or other progresses to Lord Commisar/ Primaris Psyker(Male and Female)

Orks:
    Distance: Shootaboy progresses to shooty Nob
    Close: Sluggaboy Progresses to CC Nob
    Misc: Mekboy Progresses to a smudge on the wall because his head exploded at lvl 20, lol

Eldar:
    Shooty: Guardian who progresses to Firedragon or Dark Reaper
    Close: Storm Guardian progresses to Banshee, Scorpion, Harlie
    Misc: Warlock progress to Farseer

Chaos:
    Shooty: marine Progresses to 'chosen'
    Combat: Cultist progresses to Possessed cultist
    Misc: Sorc. progresses to Sorc. Lord.

I would also think that some of the other races like Tau and Dark Eldar could be later expansions cause we know THQ loves to do that.

What does everyone else think about classes/ races?

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Grand Provost Marshal

I really hope that there are Arbites in this. That would be fantastic!

We'll just have to wait, though.

Abbess Sanctorum

Sangre: Shutup.

Faultie: Agreed! I just don't know how they CAN be included in an interesting way if we have Marines as player characters...

Duke: If we have to have Marines which are male-only, then we might as well have Sisters, whom are female-only. And Sisters fulfill a decent support role, similar to the Warrior Priest of WAR-- a durable team buffer with short-ranged combat abilities.

But more importantly, what's good about WAR is that all classes are combat classes. That's something that should be copied over to 40k for sure, as 40k has that even moreso.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Occuli Imperator

I could see a SoB fitting into the "Misc," role. Maybe she is good at short range shooting/ buffing. But to be honest, I don't think that they will bring in Sisters till later (though I think they could fit nicely.)

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Abbess Sanctorum

But the thing is, if it's all Marines, it's GOING to be a failure, inevitably dying off. Marines are far too generic for an MMO to be based entirelly off of, both visually and when you think of capabilities, and such a game wouldn't survive as an MMO.

Sisters, Guardsmen, etc, present great gameplay opportunities which Marines cannot repreoduce.

Librarian

As there are tons of leveling opportunities, SMs start as a scout and move up?

I wonder how they will tinker with chapters
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Gh, 12 roles would be quite reductive, I hope they go down a more final fantasy XI path, 40k has more to offer than "marines = tank".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast