BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

I would imagine that they would do that through advanced classes. Like a Marine starts out as a scout and when they hit a certain level they can develope into a Devastator, Assaulter, Tactical, Librarian, etc.

Similarly, a Sister could develope into a Celestian, Seraphim, Retributor, etc, and a Guard could become an officer, stormtrooper, psyker, and so on. A slugga could develope into a nob or stormboy, a shoota could become a loota or flash git, and both types could become mekboyz or weirdboyz. Not sure on grots, but they can come up with things.

The "roles" aren't so much roles as starting classes, similar to Lineage 2's classes.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Occuli Imperator

I would love the game if it was like Lineage 2! I loved how people of the same races could kill eachother... Think about how cool it would be to see imperials killing eachother!

As far as marines being "boring," to play I have to disagree with you. Perhaps if every single person was a marine then it would be boring... But I think we overstimate how many people will play a marine character. I think marines would be fun if they did something like this:

Lvl 1-20 Scout
    (balanced CC and ranged DPS)

lvl 20-50 Choose between
    assault marine- CC DPS
    tactical marine- ranged DPS

50+
    - Assa. Marine can become: Vanguard veteran (highCC DPS) or Assault termie (Lower CC DPS +tank)
    - Tactical Marine: Sternguard Veteran (high Ranged DPS) or Shooty Termie (lower DPS + buffing?)

Extreme lvls:
    - Vanguard vets become Chaplains (Extreme CC DPS)
    - Assault Termies become Close combat Force Commanders (Lower CC DPS + buffing + tank)
    - Sternguard vets become Librarians (Extreme ranged DPS)
    - Shooty Termies become Shooty Force Commanders (lower rangedDPS + buffing + tank)

That would be a lot like Lineage 2 and as long as they could fix the slow leveling problem then the game would be awesome!

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

I just hope they shift away from the tank/healer/dps paradigm, 40k won't work on such a healer-based system.

Occuli Imperator

I would like them to get away from that same thing... Though I have an aching feeling that they won't. Most people know what class they like to play and generally stick to that (at least the people I know do).

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Abbess Sanctorum

They could use a "healer" type similar to the minstrel in Lord of the Rings Online, IE, instead of HP they have morale, and can continue fighting until they run out of it, at which point they are defeated.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Sort of what I thought too, I liked how morale worked in DoW too. If they can use that approach AND make fights look less like a "I hit you, you hit me" endless loop and more like a dynamic system, I'd be super happy.

Rakion comes to mind as something out of the box that kinda sorta works.

IF they had half a brain, they'd look long and hard at StarWars Galaxies. They could easily do ALL of the good races as one faction, and all of the bad races as another IF they did what SOE did in SWG.

Overall, how SWG is presented, how crafting and economy are integrated, how one can own houses, create player cities, and overall the entire community feel of SWG is what a new MMO needs as well. It's also a sandbox environment, with large wide open spaces to explore.

It's why every MMO since SWG has failed, they all lacked what was found alive and well in SWG. Sure SWG might not be as popular as WOW, but I bet you anything it's prob the #2 or #3 most popular one still running today.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Razorx1970 View Post
    IF they had half a brain, they'd look long and hard at StarWars Galaxies. They could easily do ALL of the good races as one faction, and all of the bad races as another IF they did what SOE did in SWG.

Overall, how SWG is presented, how crafting and economy are integrated, how one can own houses, create player cities, and overall the entire community feel of SWG is what a new MMO needs as well. It's also a sandbox environment, with large wide open spaces to explore.

It's why every MMO since SWG has failed, they all lacked what was found alive and well in SWG. Sure SWG might not be as popular as WOW, but I bet you anything it's prob the #2 or #3 most popular one still running today.
    I played SWG for a bit and have to say that there are some great things about the game, but all in all it needs to be more KILLY! I didn't like the lack of PVP in SWG (At least when I played it). a good 40k MMO has to be all about PVP, much like Lineage 2. But I hated the economy of Lineage 2, SWG could be a better economic system.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Sort of what I thought too, I liked how morale worked in DoW too. If they can use that approach AND make fights look less like a "I hit you, you hit me" endless loop and more like a dynamic system, I'd be super happy.

Rakion comes to mind as something out of the box that kinda sorta works.
    Here is what I was thinking for a more 'dynamic,' combat system.

Firefights are all about cover, more like Mass Effect 2 and DOW 2 than Halo or WoW. If your shooting a guy who is 'in cover,' from your angel then you do less damage. If you can outflank him and shoot him so that he is not in cover from your angel (imagine a guy behined a wall that provides cover from one direction.) then you would get a small bonus to experience and damage. Lets say 1 pt of xp for ever shot you hit with when outflanking. This would encourage a dynamic, move/ counter move firefight. If you are in a squad then the extra experience is put into a pool and split between the squad members so your ventrilo conversation would be like this:

"You and I stay here in cover to draw his fire, The other two guys/gals will go around each flank and ignore his cover and take him out."

The point of giving xp for 'outflanking,' is that if there is not real benefit to doing it then people won't even try and will simply have a firefight between two pieces of cover. Even something as simple as enhanced damage for outflanking would be enough IMHO to encourage a dynamic fight.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Duke, try Rakion, it's an extremely Korean freemium game (yes, korean games have a peculiar feeling to them) that kinda works in both the close quarter and the ranged aspects of the game, it's an action/fighting rather than *click*wait*click*wait* but it works wonderfully.

For instance if someone blocks a blow you don't just see the same animation with "block" where usually you see "numbers", not to mention that blocking is something you learn to time right as opposed as a random chance based on a skill. But I trust such a thing could be translated into a less frantic style.

Razorx, sadly it's not in the top 3, not even in the top 5.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast