BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Ork Tankbusta Nob Wargear Options

Ok this is just sort of a sanity check but I figured I'd bring this to the attention of the general community, specifically those who use the Army Builder software to build their lists.

Currently there is an error in the calculation used to cost the wargear options on the Tankbusta Nob. This has been reported as a bug and the designer declared it to not be a bug using a general justification somewhere along the lines of the following.

Since the Tankbusta Nob is not listed as having any sort of melee weapon in his wargear list on his unit entry, he must first purchase a tankhammer which he can then replace with a big choppa or power klaw for the additional cost. The consequences of this incorrect interpretation are twofold, firstly it limit the remaining squad members to a single tank hammer since the nob must take the second, second it adds an additional 15 points tankhammer tax to whatever wargear option the nob takes, making a big choppa 20 points and a power klaw a whopping 40 points.

Now this just seems like willful ignorance on my part and RAW run amuck, especially since its not actually RAW. Case in point, refer to The Rules, page 41 under the subsection labeled "No Specified Melee Weapon."

It states, verbatim, the following:

"If a model is not specifically stated as having a weapon with the Melee type, it is treated as being armed with a single close combat weapon."

Now the obvious result of this is that a Tankbusta nobs comes complete with a free close combat weapon, which he can then replace with either a big choppa or a power klaw for the specified points value listed in the Ork wargear list.

My frustration here is that this error has been around for over a month now, it has been reported and the solution is written in surprisingly plain English IN THE RULE BOOK. (which is a bit odd for GW to be sure.) and yet the designer refuses to acknowledge or fix it.

Guess I'm just venting about it due to the repeated frustration, but has anyone else come across this interpretation or do you espouse it yourself? I mean it literally took me 2 minutes to look it up in the rule book, sometimes I think people just interpret things poorly to be snarky jerks.

Wow, I didn't notice this. I would of never thought about auto armed with a CCW. Does GW know about this? The previous codex states the Nob replaces the Rokkit launcha with a Power klaw so hopefully this will get FAQ'd like the Dark Eldar Succubus archite glaive issue.

Well it actually doesn't require an FAQ at all in this instance, since the rules are extremely clear already. The Nob does not have any melee type weapons listed in his wargear profile, therefore according to the rules he has a basic close combat weapon for free. Then, according to his unit profile and the wargear options in the ork codex, he can replace that ccw with either a big choppa or a power klaw for the specified points amount. Its perfectly black and white and requires no additional errata or clarification.