BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Using Necromunda rules for Mordheim?

Hi all,

I've played a lot of Necromunda years ago and found the game quite well balanced (with a few house rules added in, admittedly).
    Then I started playing in a Mordheim campaign and found the rules, especially for close combat, to be horrible. For example: because of the way close combat works (a direct port from Warhammer fantasy) and because there are hardly any psychology rules, it is ALWAYS the best tactic to just blob all your warband members together and charge into the enemy for a massive brawl. Without overwatch or pinning, ranged weapons are nearly useless, and to take an enemy down you need to have several good rolls in a row (to hit, to wound, injury roll), which is why multiple attacks and high strength are much better than a high weapon skill.

But then an idea struck me to repair all these flaws in one swoop: simply transfer the Necromunda rules to Mordheim! Keep the Mordheim warbands, character stats and weapon stats but use the fighting, pinning, psychology and shooting rules from Necromunda.

Has anybody tried anything like this? Any thoughts on if this might work? Am I missing something crucial?

i considered using Necromunda rules for Inquisitor myself, reducing the ridiculous detail and complexity of inquisitor and condensing the fun into a smaller scale (time and size that is)

I think this is a great idea. There's not really enough incentive to split off into groups in Mordheim, which I always thought was the point of the game in the first place. Unless you're playing the scenario with the wyrdstone shards, but even then to temptation is to only go after two at a time with mobs of men.

I'd love to see an update to Mordheim (or even to Necromunda - if it meant shiny new models), but I don't really see that happening unless Forgeworld takes a shine to it, or they do a special release like Space Hulk and Dreadfleet.

That sounds like a great idea and improves on what is a good game setting