BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default question about materials

Hey All
    Quick question, hoping this is the right place for it...
    When looking around online at some of the scenery bits that are produced for the (many) tabletop games out there, I often notice that these days there seem to be two main types of materials used - resin, or laser cut MDF - would anybody know which of these is the better material to use for making scenery, and why? - ie costs, detail etc?

thanks in advance

Az.

Brother-Captain

I personally do a bunch of resin work. I do not use MDF, but that's because I don't own a laser. I've not bought any either, but have looked into it. If you think in terms of detail, MDF is a blank sheet, literally. They are plain flat pieces of wood with a laser cutting the pieces, and etching detail into the surface. 3D is achieved by layering pieces, or by intersecting them. Think sturdy paper models.

Resin is cast using molds of master sculpts, so they have details not found in MDF flat surfaces. Cost however, is higher based on material used and level of detail in the sculpt (higher detail, higher cost to create potentially, due to multiple parts/molds being used).

MDF is cheaper, resin is more detailed. You can do amazing things with both. Imagine a MDF building with resin cast doors, vents, and greeblies on the side.

Personally, I use a mix of EVERYTHING to build stuff and avoid buying terrain kits, other than ones to be used as parts, in which case, I buy plastics mostly, like GW's stuff, the items from Tenehlog (Robogear related) available through Pegasus Hobbies, and other general model companies. Thrift shop toys are another cheap alternative, if cost is your main concern.

The new plastics for Deadzone from Mantic are a really nice choice for sci fi cities.

Here are a couple of links I really like:

[url]http://www.miniaturescenery.com/index.asp[/url] For MDF fantasy, sci-fi and supplies. I've not bought anything, but once money is abundant, this is my first stop.

[url]http://terrainforhippos.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.ironhands.com/necro.htm[/url]

John M>

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the info great links
    I do make most of my own scenery stuff, using mainly card, foam board and other bits n pieces, but was thinking about getting a bit more heavyweight with it....Ive never used resin, so am not sure about the complexities involved, but the idea of 'multi material' scenery is cool - regards casting with resin, I understand that a 'solid' item would be relatively straight forward - but what about hollow/3D (as in not a 'flat' piece)? are these difficult to do?
    cheers again
    Az