BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Tyranid swarm army concept/list

So I'm thinking of starting a tyranid army (I like the fluff and astetic and they seem to have a decent representation of backstory in rules) I'm thinking of building a real swarm army where I try to get as many models on the board as possible (a tactic that always served me well with skaven) now thats done, list time
    1750 Tyranid swarm list
    HQ
    Hive tyrant - indescribable horror, lashwip and bonesword, regeneration, electroshock grubs, the norn crown
    3man tyrant guard brood
    Troops
    3man tyranid warrior brood - barbed strangler
    30man termaguant brood
    30man termaguant brood
    30man hermiguant brood - toxic sacks
    30man hermiguant brood - toxic sacks
    Fast attack
    20man gargoyle brood
    Heavy support
    3man carnifex brood
    Total = 1750 more or less
    I've based this army around the tyranid swarm set, I started by bringing as many broods to max strength as possible, and I tried to make the hive tyrant fairly well equiped (I am unsure if I should give it a heavy venom cannon) the triple carnifexs are the big hitter they will beline straight towards the point of greatest resistance, I imagine the guants would just swarm around taking out lesser pockets of enemys, I'd really be relying on strength of numbers (if I force the enemy to take enough saves they will fail) from this point I'd definitely add more synapse in the form of warriors and shrikes and probably a few more 30man units and a couple big bugs like a tyranofex or exorcine, I know tyranids aren't really a competitive army but I don't exactly play to win (the fact I started with skaven in which I've killed more of my own troops then the enemy has is testament to that)
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you'll need a pair of malanthropes to make that work

drop a fex for em
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

So drop a carnifex and take two one man malanthrope broods?

- - - Updated - - -

Malanthropes are forge world, where would I get the rules for them, or would venomthropes work
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Chapter-Master

their rules are in the latest anphelion project book.

Their so much better than venoms (who are ust to vulnerable for their role)

EDIT: some more observations, Drop the T-sac on the Hgaunts, its far too expensive, grab adglands on the gargoyles instead and take atleast 10 devourers in each termagant squad. Use the Hgaunts for screening/Tie-ing up units that your other units kill
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-27-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Ok add the anphilion project book to my to get list

Chapter-Master

You should also drop a guard so you have two, also get rid of the Norn crown, its just bad.

You need some air cover, so either a pair of Hgaurd, or a crone to cover that base on the cheap

Ok so toxic sacks aren't worth it on hguants and take adrenal glands on the gargoyles and I didn't actually realise termaguants could mix weapons in the brood (I actually had to check as I was doubtful) so the devourer mix in seems like a logical thing now

- - - Updated - - -

This list is literally meant to be the bare bones start of a much larger army, I plan to add hive crones/guards at around the point of building to 2500points maximum and probably take them in lower