BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Sigh...I am trying to explain to the guy why they dont get obj sec. Doing so from the perspective of cad being formation being used as a simile. What I am trying say was exatly that.

As to toxin haunts there is almost never a reason to run them. They are 5 pts base, almost doubling the cost for a fragile unit is not a great idea and most tyranid players will back that up.
    But whatever its up to the OP which advice he takes.

For a deeper look at haunts here you go.

Haunts are very fast but very fragile. They have two main roles in a swarm, either capping/stealing objectives of or getting into the enemy fast to tie up their units preventing them from shooting your heavy hitters.
    Haunts themselves dont work very well as heavy hitters because of their fragility. To make them close to heavy hitters you need to almost double their price and in the most basic example you will still lose 2 or three haunts for each one that makes it across the board into combat against say a tac marine.
    Jt should also be noted that because haunts do not have assault grenades a canny opponent will park in cover. This of course means the haunts go last in the first round of combat. Therefore reinforcing the value of quantity over quality for this unit.
    Furthermore numbers mean that it does not matter if those haunts cannot kill a wraith knight. Because numbers allow them to lock that knight or whatever other tough unit be it a Super heavy walker or jnit of THSS terminators. In combat. With the right numbers you effectively take the unit out of the game for a fraction of the cost that would take to destroy it

Edit: it should be noted however that a cool combo to kill parking lots is to use SL to FC haunts before they multi-charge...the masses of S4 attacks will wreck rear AV10 without the additional cost of adglands.

If you want gaunts that can kill things then devgaunts or gargs are the unit to go for
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-31-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Of course if you run ES then you want to upgrade the haunts because they can come back
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I've played 40k as blood Angels since the latter part of fifth and I can understand it when the core rulebook for 40k says and I quote "formations are a special type of detachment, each a specific grouping of units renowned for their effectiveness on the battlefields of the 41st millennium. Whilst some formations provide you with all the gaming information you will need to use them in your games, it is not uncommon for them simply to d scribe a number of special rules that apply when you include several specific units together. Instead of including a force organisation chart, the army list entries that comprise a formation are listed on it, along with any special rules that those units gain. unless stated otherwise, each individual unit maintains its normal battlefield role when taken as part of a formation
    Unlike other detachments formations can be taken as part of unbound armys. If the are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part of the formation" page 121
    Then let's look at battle forged armys " a player using the battle-forged method must organise all the units they want to use into detachments. Detachments are made up to f units that conform to various requirements. For example, one common type of detachment requires the use of at least one HQ unit and two troops under ts; another might require that only units from codex orks be included. As a reward for adhering to these requirements, each detachment grants it's own command benefits to the units within it, which can really enhance their effectiveness in battle" page 117
    A battleforged army therefore is made of detachments and formations are a type of detachment, so therefore a army can include formations and remain battleforged, though reading the combined arms detachment it does say
    "Objective secured: all troops units from this detachment have the objective secured special rule. A unit with this special rule controls objectives even if an enemy scoring unit t is within range of the objective marker, unless the enemy unit has this special rule" page 122
    So we are both semi right, I am right in formations being a type of detachment instead of the other way around but I am wrong in thinking it's being a battle forged army that grants objective secured instead of the combined arms detachment
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Chapter-Master

Edit: nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax ion pusscabe View Post
    I've played 40k as blood Angels since the latter part of fifth and I can understand it when the core rulebook for 40k says and I quote "formations are a special type of detachment, each a specific grouping of units renowned for their effectiveness on the battlefields of the 41st millennium. Whilst some formations provide you with all the gaming information you will need to use them in your games, it is not uncommon for them simply to d scribe a number of special rules that apply when you include several specific units together. Instead of including a force organisation chart, the army list entries that comprise a formation are listed on it, along with any special rules that those units gain. unless stated otherwise, each individual unit maintains its normal battlefield role when taken as part of a formation
    Unlike other detachments formations can be taken as part of unbound armys. If the are, their units maintain the special rules gained for being part of the formation" page 121
    Then let's look at battle forged armys " a player using the battle-forged method must organise all the units they want to use into detachments. Detachments are made up to f units that conform to various requirements. For example, one common type of detachment requires the use of at least one HQ unit and two troops under ts; another might require that only units from codex orks be included. As a reward for adhering to these requirements, each detachment grants it's own command benefits to the units within it, which can really enhance their effectiveness in battle" page 117
    A battleforged army therefore is made of detachments and formations are a type of detachment, so therefore a army can include formations and remain battleforged, though reading the combined arms detachment it does say
    "Objective secured: all troops units from this detachment have the objective secured special rule. A unit with this special rule controls objectives even if an enemy scoring unit t is within range of the objective marker, unless the enemy unit has this special rule" page 122
    So we are both semi right, I am right in formations being a type of detachment instead of the other way around but I am wrong in thinking it's being a battle forged army that grants objective secured instead of the combined arms detachment
    No it's only the 2 Detachments that grant it, Combined Arms or Allied; plus of course any detachment that says in its description it does, but right now just those 2. You can be Battleforged with an 'Ork Horde detachment' but you still won't ojb sec. Instead you'll get other benefits.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chapter-Master

Skyblight grants it to its inherent gargoyles

Cheers for this post. Was just looking at getting into a Tyranid army at Christmas this year, so some good starting points already on what to buy.

Battle-Brother

I think you are very weak on Synapse.
    If I removed your present Synapse creatures during a game, the rest of your army will tear itself apart.
    Add more Warriors/ Zoanthropes/ Tyrants.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123