BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's pretty hard to defend GW's pricing, to be fair. However, part of the reason might be the production capabilities available to them. Most kits are outsourced to China and thus cost far less to produce, whereas GW produces its own models in the UK where labour is far more expensive, and I believe Privateer use local American casting facilities where similar costs occur. Both are roughly comparable in price.

An Aliens or Zoids model has enough fan-backing to go into mass production, because it's an easy sell. You like the Xenomorph? Here, have Xenomorph. Their prospective customer base is far larger than GW could ever hope to attain, because GW require you to sit down and assemble your minis, paint them up nicely, and then get to display or play with them. To be fair, for the majority of us here, that's probably a major selling point.

I've often wondered about getting Revell models or similar, ground-based vehicles to splice into my Guard for conversions, but heck, it's difficult to find ones that look suitably comparable to what I'm trying to get them to represent, given the Guard's...unique vehicle design in terms of tanks.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    I've often wondered about getting Revell models or similar, ground-based vehicles to splice into my Guard for conversions, but heck, it's difficult to find ones that look suitably comparable to what I'm trying to get them to represent, given the Guard's...unique vehicle design in terms of tanks.
    The biggest problem with trying to do this is one of proportion; a Leman Russ is built on a 3:2 ratio of length to width, whereas most real tanks are closer to 2:1. This means, you end up with a model that's too long, too narrow, or both. A related problem is that the closest scale to 40k proportions is 1:48, which is not a popular scale for military armor, and hence expensive. For example, the British Matilda makes about as good a starting point as any for a Leman Russ conversion, but a 1:48 scale kit is only offered by Tamiya, and the list price is $37 (compare the $49.50 for a Russ), so you're not really saving anything, once you factor in conversion work (at a bare minimum, the Matilda needs larger guns on the turret and hull).
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    The biggest problem with trying to do this is one of proportion; a Leman Russ is built on a 3:2 ratio of length to width, whereas most real tanks are closer to 2:1. This means, you end up with a model that's too long, too narrow, or both. A related problem is that the closest scale to 40k proportions is 1:48, which is not a popular scale for military armor, and hence expensive. For example, the British Matilda makes about as good a starting point as any for a Leman Russ conversion, but a 1:48 scale kit is only offered by Tamiya, and the list price is $37 (compare the $49.50 for a Russ), so you're not really saving anything, once you factor in conversion work (at a bare minimum, the Matilda needs larger guns on the turret and hull).
    Except 40K proportions are weird anyway. All you need to do is get a model that is approximate to size and in scale with the rest of the models you use. We all know the current scale GW uses is silly. The correct number of troops won't fit in the Rhino, Land Raider, whatever... so the scale is just kind of well... irrelevant. It it looks good in synch with the other stuff on the table... use it.

Except 40K proportions are weird anyway.
    This is honestly why I scratchbuild so much stuff. I'd love it if more things were produced in 1/56 heroic scale.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Some of the range is particularly toy like - and getting more so. I don't like the big xenos walkers, I don't like centurions, I don't like the fact that all stock heldrakes are bending their necks the same way. The entirety of the Tau line, possible excepting kroot and a ethereal cast chappy, look like toys. The Wraithknight veers very close.

But, with the ability to convert/scratch and the sheer number of options in GW kits, they are good for me. Some of those giant film 'collectibles' - they are awesome but seem a bit - I don't know, flat.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    But, with the ability to convert/scratch and the sheer number of options in GW kits, they are good for me. Some of those giant film 'collectibles' - they are awesome but seem a bit - I don't know, flat.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not that they lack personality.. it's just that they don't match our perceptions of the Warhammer universe. The Lord of Darkness comes very close to being a greater demon of Khorne or Slaanesh. Some might argue with me about the Slaanesh aspect but Tim Curry's voice just brings to mind a Slaanesh-esque tempter. But even as close as he gets to it.. even he doesn't quite match up with the universe.

Angel Spawn is a good one. Mate of mine repainted it into blue and gold, and used it (in store, with my permission) as a Tzeentch Daemon Prince.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

a lot of the quality detailed figures are not intended to be moved around a lot either, they sit on shelves and look pretty. going back to Mr Mystery's Matrix thing, it broke when moved. GW models are expensive, and I wont pretend I don't want them to be cheaper, but they are as high a quality as anything else you will find in terms of detail, and stand up to being used as well. plenty of other toys do one or the other.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

I think if I was being dramatic - you can tell what is a toy - and what is a model. I glue all my hatches and turrets etc. I have models. I don't like the term toy soldiers although GW have started to use it. When someone says toy soldiers I thing of metal Victorian things being played with in front of a fire place.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

I do think its interesting comparing GWs big robot kits to say something like a Bandai Gundam kit, a knight sized gundam kit can run you anywhere from 40-60 bucks but for more than that you can get models that are comparable to reaver titans in size eventually.

my personal opinion is that its entirely likely both of any of these models you pick out were built by people of similar technical credentials and experience and essentially what you are seeing is the classic play out of the domestic work/goods versus exported work/goods. The work the artist/cg engineer puts in on the new FW knight titan is worth more than the work a Bandai person using the exact same method and materials gets simply because he had the divine providence to be born in the western world where our wage and worth are ramped up and then drained for profit. Now whats interesting is how in general all of this kind of work is eventually doomed because of the lower costs of overseas production/design and low and behold as a gaming community do we not now see a gigantic wave of third party produced items made in china, sold by us store-fronts, or in some cases the part and parcel overtaking of the operation by overseas companies complete with entire GW knockoffs. Gone are the days of the specialty companies of the US, Britain, France and Italy turning out "Artisan Level" Masterpieces carefully casted in pewter and resin (Even sometimes contracted to work producing for GW), Behold the day of Rendered Molded and then Mass produced Model!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast