BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Looking for help getting started with a space marine legion

Hi Everyone,

I recently got my hands on the FW Horus Heresy rules and I'm now desperate to create a space marine legion army. I'd like to hear any advice from those who have or are working on their own legion force. In addition I have some questions that I'd very appreciative to have your collected opinions on:

1. How do you find 30k space marines play against the 40k races? From what I've heard they aren't OP or cheesy but since I will be the only person in my group who has them I just want to make sure if I play them both me and my opponent will still have a fun game.

2. If you play with a Primarch how do you find they fair in battle? I cannot stress how much I want a primarch in my army but I'm also concerned that no one will want to play against him.

3. How did you choose your legion and how do they play on the table? I want them all! But unfortunately I don't currently own my own weight in gold so I'll stick with one for now. I'm having such a hard time deciding, as each of them have something really neat to offer.

4. Any thoughts you have on the following legions: Sons of Horus, Death Guard, Imperial Fists, Blood Angels. These are my front runners right now so any insights you have on any of them are welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Battle-Brother

Welcome to 30k. I can give you some 30k v. 40k perspective because I've taken my World Eaters down to Erie, PA a few times since they allow 30k. Also our gaming club in Buffalo, NY (Beef and Wing) allowed all FW and 30k at our first annual GT this year.

1. There are some nasty combo's that give 30k a bad name, so I'd stay away from them. Plasma pistol Moritat is the one that really jumps out at me. Flare shield on a Spartan is really maligned too.

2. Can't tell you about Primarchs yet. I plan on using Angron for the first time next month. We've only used them against each other. Angron and Fulgrim have fought a few times.

3. I choose mine when the old Emperors champ model(the one holding his Swartz out front) came out 2000ish? I decided to cut off his head and give him a Khorne bezerker head. My first army every was fantasy Khorne warriors, so it was in my blood. BTW I don't do blood splatters at all, just don't like the look. I have been adding units so that I can play them as various marines using 40k book: thunderwolves, deathwing, I am also started to paint some red marines and Khorne deamons as allies in anticipation of Angron becoming a Demon Prince in the FW book and I would think I'll get deamon allies.

4. sons of horus I think are too hard to get that color. If you get an easy yellow recipe, I'd say Fists

Something else I'd add is that each Legion, whilst most of them can do a multitude of tactical roles, has certain roles it excels in and really needs to be built around those roles to make the most of the special rules available to the army. This may affect which army you use, because if you enjoy a certain play-style, then some Legions will match that better. For example, with Imperial Fists, their abilities and unique equipment favour lots of bolter equipped soldiers, heavy support squads with anti-tank weaponry and terminators, as well as fortifications. If you want a more static Legion, they are a good choice (although they can be very mobile, being one of the few Legions with easy access to deep-striking terminators, and make a good hammer and anvil force with deep-striking terminators as the hammer and a bolter gun-line holding a fortification network.).

It is well worth a read through the rules before you get anything, and trying to find a list that suits your play style and fluff tastes.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Also you can always do what the restaurants do: Create their top 3 or 4 signature dishes, and see what else they can make with the same ingredients to fill out the rest of the menu.

30K Legions, while different, aren't THAT different from 40K Marines or Chaos Marines. So figure out what you want your 30K legion to look like, and then take that same model list and see where you can get with the 40K dex that comes closest to your concept. Don't be afraid to get creative and look at 40K dexes that technically go with a different legion if that's what it takes.

Odds are with only a few extra models and some clever use of magnets you can have everything you need to walk into any shop or clubhouse with both a 30K and 40K list in your pocket. If the other guys is up to take on 30K you're ready. If nobody is game to hop in the way-back machine, no biggy.

Yeah, I've done exactly this- I have an Imperial Fists force, and due to their unique terminator wargear, I have effectively made a Codex-legal force too. Points costs are quite different for units though, but I can use units for either force. Makes the investment a little more safe. I can start to add crazy Heresy-era stuff later (like Dorn...).
    Last edited by Haighus; 10-30-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.