BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    It's not about changing the gender or race of a given character, but using their ridiculously extensive catalogue of heroes and villains to reflect this.

Read about how Falcon's son responded to his Dad being cast - it's pretty powerful!

Most of the current crop weren't the best known. Iron Man and Thor in particular. But the success and passion of the movies made them household names.

Now yes, it does say something very sad about society in general that white men are still the most bankable bet - but they should have diversified so much sooner!
    They can only make one or two movies at a time. To put it another way, using those big names is a way to bank roll the films that introduce and build on those characters and allow them to rise and fall as they may. If Avengers wasn't successful, I doubt Captain Marvel or Panther would even have been considered.

And as much as Hollywood would like to deny it, the US and the world just isn't as liberal and accepting as they are. The country is far more tolerant than it was, but aside from extremists on both sides, most of us just flat out don't care, and be just as happy if people stop trying to shove acceptance down our throats as much as rejection or violent opposition.

Chaplain

I'm not quite up to date with the latest bunch of Marvel movies, did Captain Marvel already appear in some form?

How many people are actually aware that she's a woman, because to be honest I wasn't. (This board really needs an embarrassed smiley)

Personally, I'd like to see them shake things up more, but I'm not sure that Black Widow, as she is currently characterized, would make a good lead for a film; Natasha Romanov wants nothing to do with the spotlight, and actively avoids it when possible. (and yes, I've seen Cap 2, and I believe the ending proves my point; however skilled she is, Black Widow is nothing more than a +1 Vorpal Minion, and the committee knows it, so they're not going to waste time trying to hold her up as a consolation trophy.)

A Black Widow film would have to do some serious transformative work on Romanov to make her into the type of character who would be a lead, or have that work done in one of the other films to set one up. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm asking if it would be better to do that transformation, or bring in another female character who can take the lead from the beginning?

Unless of course they go with bumping off Thor in Ragnarok and have her pick up the hammer. That would be amazing.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see them shake things up more, but I'm not sure that Black Widow, as she is currently characterized, would make a good lead for a film.
    I don't know, have you read the story arc "The Name of the Rose"from her 2010 Limited Series, she's the only "Superhero" in it at all IIRC and it's a tense thriller, damn fine read, touches on her history, I highly recommend it
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    I don't know, have you read the story arc "The Name of the Rose"from her 2010 Limited Series, she's the only "Superhero" in it at all IIRC and it's a tense thriller, damn fine read, touches on her history, I highly recommend it
    I'll check it out, but I'm not talking about the comics, I'm talking about how she has been portrayed on the screen.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Banned

A Black Widow film would have to do some serious transformative work on Romanov to make her into the type of character who would be a lead, or have that work done in one of the other films to set one up. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'm asking if it would be better to do that transformation, or bring in another female character who can take the lead from the beginning?
    In terms of Scarlett Johansson, maybe.

As I said earlier, The Widow is a Russian-trained female James Bond. What we have seen is the Widow after she found escape from the hell she was in, trying to play nice so she doesn't have to go back.

In order to have a good Widow-led movie, it would have to put her in a position that would make most other movie spies blanch, imo. It's doable, but it would take a good writer to make it successful.

Unless of course they go with bumping off Thor in Ragnarok and have her pick up the hammer. That would be amazing.
    With HER temper? *shudders*

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    In terms of Scarlett Johansson, maybe.
    Yeah, we know shje CAN carry a film as a lead, she did that one where she's an alien her in the UK bumping off blokes (not seen it only going on what I've heard about it) and that Luc Besson film "Lucy" which she had a very action star heavy role in.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check it out, but I'm not talking about the comics, I'm talking about how she has been portrayed on the screen.
    I know your talking about the film wise, I'm saying if they adopted a story like that, that explored her dark bloody history, and yeah it's bloody, it would work very well.....

I think it's because she such a dark character in the comics when she's NOT with the Avengers (or Spidey, she sometimes hangs out with him as well) that's why Marvel are hanging back and not doing a solo film for her, if they stuck faithfully to her blood soaked history, it would end up being an 18 rated film
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 10-31-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    I know your talking about the film wise, I'm saying if they adopted a story like that, that explored her dark bloody history, and yeah it's bloody, it would work very well....
    Ahh, okay. I was reading it as "you make the film expecting the viewers to read the comic beforehand so they knew what was going on", which historically has not gone well.

First-Captain

Ahh, okay. I was reading it as "you make the film expecting the viewers to read the comic beforehand so they knew what was going on", which historically has not gone well.
    Yeah I hate films which do that, very annoying

I should have gave more about the story of that Arc, it's set in the (as then) current period, but actions from her dark sorid past were coming back to bit her in the proverbial

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234