BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Honest Review Thread.

How do?

So it seems there's allsorts kicking off in the nerd world, with accusations of 'very-well-paid-for' positive reviews for games and that.

I figure we should have our own thread, where we can waffle on about games we've greatly enjoyed.

Here goes, and it's an obvious, and not very controversial one.....

GTA V - Absolutely loved it. Trevor made the game for me, and the whole thing was a massive improvement on the rather lacklustre GTA IV, not least because the radio stations played a wider variety of music. Character switching isn't just a really cool gaming concept (and not an original one), but also really good fun - as anyone who has ever switched into Trevor, only to find themselves up a mountain in their pants for no apparent reason can probably attest to.

If you didn't get on with the other GTA games, this is unlikely to change that - the genre remains the genre. But if GTA IV was your first whirl, do give this one a decent airing - see if you can borrow it off a friend first though, just in case!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Deadpool.

Well, it's a fairly short game, kind of a Marvelesque take on God of War, starring everyone's favourite regeneratin' degenerate, the crimson comedian - Deadpool.

First up - if you don't like Deadpool, get your bargepole out. This is not a game for you.

But for those who do like Deadpool, get stuck in. It's fast, it's funny, it's fun, and it's....something else beginning with 'f' for the sake alieration.

Genuinely laugh out loud moments throughout, and not just the constant quips (DLC could be done to expand that vocab, as they can get a wee bit repetitive - not necessarily less funny though). Some puzzle solving involved, but nothing too headachey.

I picked it up off Amazon for £15, and good value for that - being quite short, you may want to track down a cheap copy too!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

GTA was ok, but the torture scene put me right off it. it was gratuitous, and also totally unnecessary, the guy was willing to tell you everything anyway. a lot of people told me I was being ridiculous and it was GTA and what did I expect? but the whole point of GTA is that it is open world, you can run around killing random people, running people over etc. but you don't have to. to suddenly be forced in to torturing people was very out of character and jarring, killed the game for me.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I had forgotten about that particular bit to be honest. It is quite jarring, especially as almost every other mission, including the aftermath of that scene, does have choice as you said.

Chapter-Master

yup, as I said a lot of people told me I was being ridiculous, but I have never played GTA just running around killing random people, running them over etc. I actually drive properly and avoid hitting stuff, the low profile master criminal
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Bioshock Infinite, Burial At Sea.

You get to pay as Elizabeth and it ties in beautifully with the first game bringing everything full-circle. It also reveals so much about the somewhat confusing ending of the main game, and ties off the story with a pretty sad bow.

Also it has a cringe-inducing torture scene.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.