BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Daemon-Prince

Thanks man!
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Broodingman87 View Post
    I'm going to take it this is a local meta issue? How many fliers are you seeing at your local shop? 1? 2? At my local shop there is a guy that we call a dou*** because he's IG and brings 5 in a 2000 point game... but that's the way IG are.

Even if a guy run just a Captain and 2 squad of 5 marines naked the most you're going to see is 2 Stormravens and 3 Stormtalons. Most armies at this small a game are still buying dudes.

Yeah they fly on and pop a couple of shots at your big dudes, maybe unload a squad. They do so little to a swarm army and are so hard to kill... I just ignore them.
    I'd love you to try and ignore my Razorwings... All 3 of 'em. All with Necrotoxin missiles and Shatterfield missiles. And believe me when I say they do interminable damage to anything in worse than 4+ armour.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    I'd love you to try and ignore my Razorwings... All 3 of 'em. All with Necrotoxin missiles and Shatterfield missiles. And believe me when I say they do interminable damage to anything in worse than 4+ armour.
    This being why a crone or two is a good investment for very minimal points. 2 at 1850 is miniscule but good air cover....that or a dual dev flyrant
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    This being why a crone or two is a good investment for very minimal points. 2 at 1850 is miniscule but good air cover....that or a dual dev flyrant
    Hmmmm would Termigaunts be useful at all or should i stick with Horms? (Tried to Pm you boarder but your box is full again >_> )
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Hmmmm would Termigaunts be useful at all or should i stick with Horms? (Tried to Pm you boarder but your box is full again >_> )
    Oops, sorry, will try clean that up soon.

Generally in the current edition (and 6th too) termagants are considered the better of the two by far, they are cheaper they shoot and you can take a squad of 20-30 and put 5-10 devourers in them giving you some bodies to catch bullets and a whole lot of scary firepower to throw down range. (a brood of 20 in a tyranocyte puts out 75 shots a turn....that is BRUTAL!)

They also don't fail IB, murder half the unit (statistically), fail the subsequent leadership check and then run away really fast. Hormagaunts do that with terrifying reliability outside of synapse.

All that being said, BOTH units have their place, if you want bog standard termagants without devs or taking 30 to unlock a tervigon then they aren't realy all that great compared to the faster choppy hormagaunts. but put some points into them and they get better than the Haunts will ever really be. So it kind depends on what you want and what your list needs.

Both types excel at clogging firelanes (giving units behind them cover, YES, even the trygon gets a cover save from a line of gants), capping objectives (seriously just plonk 30 of the blighters on a point in cover and dare the opponent to shift them) and tying up enemy units (even knights wont blow through 30+ gants quickly). Which is what they really should be doing while your other bugs do the murdering.

At the end of the day Haunts are a little better at the tying up do to speed, but Tgants are more useful for capping mid field objectives due to guns.

I'm going to throw in my post from the other nid thread about my thoughts on Haunts. I want to show the strengths of that unit so that you can make an informed decision about which types of gants you would like to run.

Haunts are very fast but very fragile. They have two main roles in a swarm, either capping/stealing objectives of or getting into the enemy fast to tie up their units preventing them from shooting your heavy hitters.
    Haunts themselves dont work very well as heavy hitters because of their fragility. To make them close to heavy hitters you need to almost double their price and in the most basic example you will still lose 2 or three haunts for each one that makes it across the board into combat against say a tac marine.
    Jt should also be noted that because haunts do not have assault grenades a canny opponent will park in cover. This of course means the haunts go last in the first round of combat. Therefore reinforcing the value of quantity over quality for this unit.
    Furthermore numbers mean that it does not matter if those haunts cannot kill a wraith knight. Because numbers allow them to lock that knight or whatever other tough unit be it a Super heavy walker or jnit of THSS terminators. In combat. With the right numbers you effectively take the unit out of the game for a fraction of the cost that would take to destroy it

Edit: it should be noted however that a cool combo to kill parking lots is to use SL to FC haunts before they multi-charge...the masses of S4 attacks will wreck rear AV10 without the additional cost of adglands.

If you want gaunts that can kill things then devgaunts or gargs are the unit to go for
    Last edited by daboarder; 11-10-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123