BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.

I'm starting to get a bit threaders with 'Fireworks night'. Because it seems to go on for 3 weeks either side of 5th November, with random little chavvy oiks putting fireworks up in ones and twos - 30 seconds pleasure for the 30 minutes my dog spends bricking it.

But I noticed something odd this year - I went to my works do and my town do. And neither bonfire had a Guy on it.

Did that go the way of the politically correct police at some point?

Any one else notice this?

Also, my 7 year old came back and said Guy Fawkes apparently tripped and broke his neck on the way to the Scaffold, but they hanged, drew and quartered him anyway. Never knew that, was that Horrible Histories or summat I missed at Junior School?

Anyway:

Remember, Remember the 5th of November
    Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
    I see no reason, why Gunpowder Treason
    Should ever be forgot.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Don't think it was down to political correctness. I just think people stopped caring/don't see the significance.

Can't say I blame 'em. The story's lost all context and it's kind of sad and petty when you do research it. I'd rather send up fireworks as a positive celebration than to mock a 400 year old Catholic terror plot. Which is kind of a weird reason to have fireworks when you actually stop and think about it.

I know I don't celebrate bonfire night because I just don't give a s*** about it. Like you say, anything which supplies the local oiks with explosive devices can't be good.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Burning an effigy of someone is pretty full on. I think the idea of having fireworks to celebrate the survival of parliament is probably not weird originally but in today's context where it is the seat of a pretty contemptible bunch irrespective of colour, yeah it is well weird.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Lewes still have a big'un.

As for Dog's being scared - still remember having a 14 stone 'well hard' Alsatian sitting on my lap on his first Bonfire night. Big lump was quaking, and constant fuss kept his mind off it. Poor thing.

Was fine the next year though, as he just sat on me the entire evening, but no quaking.

As for Horrible Histories [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00EOWFGB8/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar& showViewpoints=0]I think someone doesn't know children very well, and has somewhat misunderstood the series[/url].
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 11-08-2014 at 02:53 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Don't think it was down to political correctness. I just think people stopped caring/don't see the significance.

Can't say I blame 'em. The story's lost all context and it's kind of sad and petty when you do research it. I'd rather send up fireworks as a positive celebration than to mock a 400 year old Catholic terror plot. Which is kind of a weird reason to have fireworks when you actually stop and think about it.

I know I don't celebrate bonfire night because I just don't give a s*** about it. Like you say, anything which supplies the local oiks with explosive devices can't be good.
    We certainly teach the kids about it in school, most of them know what it is about. As for whether it is still significant I would argue it is. There was certainly an element of mocking Catholics, but I think a lot of it is celebration of the stopping of a terrorist plot and saving many lives, which is a good thing. Besides, it's the closest thing England has to a national celebration day and people enjoy it.

As for guys, they are still about. Our local council has organised a guy making competition for tonight at the local pub, with prizes for the best ones. I'd wander down and have a look if it wasn't bucketing down.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD